Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

adopt a newbie

ymaddox
12 years ago

for you guys who have lots of seeds to spare on the round robin forum there is a adopt a newbie...some of them been waiting long time to be adopted, check it out.

Comments (125)

• canyonwind
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ymaddox,

I was looking back in this thread...gagreenman zone 8 signed up in December and still has not been adopted. I am going to email him and see if he is still interested.

Annie

• LynnCA
    12 years ago

Annie,
    Its so exciting! Thank you so much! I will let you know when I got the seeds.
    Happy Gardening!

Lynn

• beckers99
    12 years ago

Hello there! I'm Rebecca, and I'm in zone 6 in Oklahoma. I just bought a house this past summer, and am really excited to start a garden this spring! I'm interested in wildflowers (would LOVE some poppies), herbs (love lavender, and would like to try the toothache plant, German chamomile), vegetables (anybody have kohlrabi, leeks, or asparagus), and succulents. Really, anything helps.. as well as advice on what and how to grow these plants in Oklahoma! I'm totally new to gardening, but hugely motivated!

• margez
    12 years ago

I would be happy to send beckers99 some kohlrabi and a few other things without it being a formal "adoption".

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Gagreenman (Dave) responded to my email yesterday. He would still like to be adopted.

BUT...Dave you did not send me your address. So when you get a chance, email me your address. You mentioned that you do not check your email but a couple of times a week. I emailed you back and am posting here...SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS...LOL!

Thanks much!

Annie

• LynnCA
    12 years ago

Annie,
    I got the seeds this morning! Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kindly support.
    ymaddox, now you can please take me off the newbie list! Thank you for hosting this event. And happy spring gardening to everyones!

Lynn

• amuslimpharmer
    12 years ago

I am expanding my listing at the suggestion of ymaddox, or providing more detail on what I would be interested in.
    I love to make pesto, but so far have only tried sweet basil and an unspecified "organic" breed my local whole foods store sold. If you can suggest any basil breeds to me, and have some to spare, I would love to try something new.
    My balcony faces west, so I get the hot afternoon sun and it killed my cilantro quickly last year. If you have any slow bolting cilantro blends or parsley I would love those as well.
    The last thing I really "need" (haha) is onion seeds. I have never grown onions from seed but I have been reading up on it and would love to try this year.

Any help is appreciated! :D
    Thanks,
    Gabe

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Current Newbies to be Adopted:
    ---------------------------------
    Zone 4:
    spacetogrow- interests: open pollinated vegetables including long keeping beets, turnips, onions, and bush C. moschata squash (bush butternut or black futsu for example)
    *please take a look at spacetogrows most recent post of things she is open to...it really opens up her adoption- thanks
    --------------------------------
    Zone 5:
    demonshollowasylum- interests heirloom veggies or anything that reseeds true, veggies, herbs, covercrop, and flowers (open pollinated)
    Zone 6:
    beckers99- intersts: wildflowers (poppies etc.), herbs (lavender, toothache plant, german chamomile), veggies (kohlrabi, leeks, asparagus), and succulents.
    messyboysfarms- interests: wheat/oats and veggies
    Zone 7:
    ascrius- interests: succulents,cacti, veggies, onion seed, different basils, open to anything
    jedonne- interests: veggies and herbs
    mokey_ interests:Jewels of Opar, Gazania, hostas, dward mondo and black mondo grass, red hot poker, elephant ears and cannas
    corrine1- interests:perennials, annuals, & vegetables (true to seed varieties please) green peas, beans, carrots, oriental vegetables, dinosaur kale, nasturtiums, snapdragons, sunflowers, zinnia
    winnie13 -interests: perrenials: zinnias, daisies, foxglove, lupines, babybreath, white cleome, irises, daylily
    ----------------------------------
    Zone 8:
    optimistique- interests: vegetables, herbs, flowers, and bulbs
    Zone 9:
    luisito8m- interests: veggies and herbs...easy to grow things but only small flowers.

Zone 10:
    lizinelizabeth- adopted by molanic
    lynnca- adopted by canyonwind
    sdtcwarren- adopted by dem pa
    Krystiekeen- adopted by lexiegurl
    blissfactor- adopted by scratchits
    peaceful warrior- adopted by p-piper
    tlgraham- adopted by gardenunusual2
    lizgyrl- adopted by ymaddox
    seedmoney- adopting txnurse77, sweet_clementine, and cry24
    aqtrhorselover- adopted by sassybutterfly
    lovesherflowers (NE OH) (cryptid)
    *PLEASE NOTE IF ANY OF THESE ADOPTIONS FALL THROUGH PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN REMOVE ADOPTEES NO LONGER INTERESTED OFF THE LIST AND/OR READD IF THEY WERE NOT ADOPTED...THANKS :)

*Please look at adoptee's post to view more detailed info.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

spacetogrow and corrine i believe i got a email from you both saying you got what i had offered, is that correct? (please note that does not mean these gals are still not up for adoption they are, but a generous person sent them a few of a particular seed variety they was looking for and both are still up for adoption) sorry i must have deleted them before responding...been very busy. my shihtzu just had puppies and been tending to her and them.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

beckers 99 email me need to discuss your list with you please :) messyboysfarms please email me as well...hoping to facilitate a adoption with the both of you if i have what you want.

im adopting two more...who's next to follow? lets go guys lets wipe out this list and make some new comers happy :)

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

also guys bakemom has some newbie packs over on the winter sowing forum...and if you have not checked the forum out please do so, very interesting...i wintersow and have had great success. also wintersown.org

Here is a link that might be useful: free seed site as well

• luisito8m
    12 years ago

Adopt me! ^^

• amuslimpharmer
    12 years ago

I looked at my seed collection and the packaging from which my morning glories came from last year, they are the sunrise blend Ipomoea purpurea so assuming they come true from seed, I have around 500 or so seeds of good enough quality to grow available if anyone needs any.
    I have some Poppy seed which has yet to be identified,
    about 15 Mimosa tree seeds (Albizia julbrissin),
    mixed Butterfly Bush seed (Buddleia davidii)(not a lot),
    Black Pearl peppers (as well as an orange variety),
    Poinsettia peppers,
    unidentified Datura which I have yet to get to sprout,
    and some Pride of Madeira seeds.

I can't seem to figure out how to update my listings on my profile for "seeds I have to trade"
    Can anyone give me info on how to do this?

Thank you :D

• amuslimpharmer
    12 years ago

Thanks for updating the list ymaddox!

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

members page at bottom here then to edit exchange list

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

optimistique tell you what i will adopt you...i have no herbs so you will have to trade for those. and if three other people adopts three we have our newbie list caught up...come on guys lets do this, can anyone adopt a few more people. thanks in advance.

• jayw1957
    12 years ago

I would like to be adopted I just joined today and have nothing to trade right now. Very interested in veggies of all kinds and flowers also like sunflowers and anything vining

• roper2008
    12 years ago

This is my first time adopting. I will adopt jedonne and maybe someone
    else. Need to check my seed stash.

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Okay, I'll also adopt corrine1. I can send her true to type veggies,
    but not too sure about true to type flowers if she is interested in
    flowers.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jay please post your zone.

thanks roper thats nice of you :)

• margez
    12 years ago

I will formally adopt beckers99, but I don't have chamomile

• david8n
    12 years ago

I would love to be adopted. new to seed sharing in west central MN big into edibles and shade loveing plants like hostas. also all echinaceas

• margez
    12 years ago

I will officially adopt beckers99. I have no chamomile though.

• lisajc2
    12 years ago

I would love to have a little help getting started. Thanks

• Jedonne
    12 years ago

roper2008 Thanks for wanting to adopt me. I'll be looking for your email!

• tl.graham
    12 years ago

I would like to adopt demonshollowasylum.

• DemonsHollowAsylum
    12 years ago

tl.graham,
    Thank you, I feel honored to be your first adoption.
    I am looking forward to being able to do the same for some one else in the future.

• margez
    12 years ago

I will adopt beckers99, but I have no chamomile. Can someone else provide this?

• roper2008
    12 years ago

LoL, margez. I would help, but I don't have chamomile either.

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Dave (gagreenman) sent me his address...Thanks Dave! Seeds will go out at the end of the week or early next.

Annie

• margez
    12 years ago

Sorry, I did not mean to bombard the thread with posts. I had a computer problem, and the only thing that would show up was the end of the thread at the 93rd post. It looked to me that my posts were not going through. I could not see them. Turns out that I had to empty the cache.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

-sent luisito8m a email

-optimistique and messyboysfarm neither of you have a email provided for me to email you...if your still interested in being adopted get ahold of me and i would be happy to adopt you. ymaddox1970@yahoo.com

-margez are you adopting beckers99 if not i was going to. and no problem bout the bombarding i was confused for a bit and my internet was down due to weather so i was on mobile and tough to try to fix things via mobile...i will start a new thread soon so glad this one was not truly full.

• luisito8m
    12 years ago

Woo hoo! Already sent ya an email.
    SOOO HAppYY!!
    Thnx Yvonne!

• captivatedlife
    12 years ago

Hi all!

My name is Kim and we bought our first house in May of last year. I had a small garden (2 9x 4 plots) that I worked so hard at - but we just didn't get enough sun for squash and tomatoes. On the other hand, my lettuce went all the way into the fall!

I'm new(ish) to gardening, and completely new at seed saving! I let my prolific lettuce go to seed in the bed and plan to turn that whole bed into a lettuce zone. LOTS of salads come spring! I will be planting in the front yard so looking for edible landscaping plants.

List:
    herbs - any and all especially basil, lavender, thyme, mint family (oregano), chives, dill, etc.
    vegetables - lettuce, KALE, collards, chard, pumpkins, squash, winter squash, tomatoes, peppers,onion, beans, peas, I would love climbing beans/peas - I'm building a teepee for them to climb on and would love regular and/or interesting beans/peas/whatever
    flowers - short to medium flowers? I'll use them line my beds. Maybe?

I'm not picky. I will love whatever anyone sends me and be grateful I don't have to buy it.

Thanks for running this. I hope to learn enough about seed saving to join one of the swaps next year!

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Hi all,...I have adopted optimistique and we have been in communication. I will be sending seeds today. Sorry I didn't post here sooner. I actually proposed the adoption on the 12th, just not on the list (as I should have, or at least once the adoption was confirmed). My bad. Apologies, ymaddox!

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Seeds sent!

• margez
    12 years ago

Yes, I am adopting beckers99. I sent the kohlrabi that she wanted, and some poppies, but now I will do an actual adoption.

• leyas
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Soooo new to this. Im in the Seattle area and have not had the greatest luck. Would be interested in any veggies (esp tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, snap type peas or beans) or herbs (cilantro, basil or anything else) you have. Really, I'm willing to try anything. Also, if you know others in this area or ideas of where to go to get started (Kind of overwhelmed w/ all of the forums).

My kids (son 6 and identical girls 4) are finally old enough to give me more peace this summer and am REALLY looking forward to getting my hands dirty!!!
    Thanks so much!!!
    Leya

• Ida55
    12 years ago

Hi, I am a newbie! I am so looking forward to spring! I am in zone 5. Uhh still lots of snow on the ground, although this year we can't complain its been mild. I have had a garden in the past as a hobby, this year we have doubled its size. My husband lost his job last June. Our income has been cut drastically, receiving 1/3 from unemployment of what he was making. So it is our hopes to produce more fruits and veggies to help us sustain our family of 7. My husband is in school for at least 7 more months, so things aren't going to change to quickly for us. This year my hobby has turned into reality. I look forward to learning from everyone here, I am going to need all the help I can get :)

I would be grateful for any seeds. My plan is to plant mostly heirloom, so that I can save seeds and be a future adoption contributor. In the past I have had my cucumbers get bacterial wilt and my tomatoes have got blight, so it would be better to have disease resistant strains of those but other than that I would love to try anything.

• Elegance108
    12 years ago

Hello! Today is my first day on garden web. I am looking for seeds to winter sow. I am searching for sase'ers until I get some seeds. I love gardening! I do organic gardening. Last year I lived in the DC area and had a beautiful garden in Rockville. I just moved back with my parents in the Pittsburgh area, and can't wait to have my next garden! I am so happy to be here. PLEASE ADOPT ME!!!!
    PS - I am interested in heirloom and permaculture, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wren Dancer's Blog

• tl.graham
    12 years ago

I am sending Demons Hollow Asylum's envie out tomorrow. Hope you like the selection!

• dem_pa
    12 years ago

captivatedlife has agreed to be adopted by me.

Don (dem_pa)

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Dave's (gagreenman), your package is headed out tomorrow or Tuesday.

I emailed LeyaS about adopting her as well. She responded and we are a go.

Annie

• david8n
    12 years ago

I posted last week but did not hear anything so I thought I should expand a little about my gardening. I grow perenials like painted daisys and coneflowers and lillies cause I am a stay at home dad with a 2 year old that takes alot of my time so I grow hardy perenials that I don't have to do much with. Also love to grow any type of vegitable as that is a mainstay of our family dinning. Decided it might be nice to save seeds instead of having to always buy compleate plants so that I can get more growing for less money anyone that feels like adopting me and helping me get started I would greatly appreciate it

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this thread is officially closed please see thread 2...thanks!

• bakemom_gw
    12 years ago

I would be happy to have all noobs check out the Newbie Seed Project on Winter Sowing. For a SASBE and four stamps you get at least 20 packs of donated flower seeds.

It's in full swing right now so check it out. Note, please post your request on my thread with your email unblocked.

Bakemom

• jayw1957
    12 years ago

I am in zone 8 and would like to be adopted I will take any kind of seeds but prefer veggy's and flowers maybe even herbs since I would like to start a herb garden.I lost everything I had to the wild fires we had last summer so I am starting over.

• cryptid
    11 years ago

Howzabout we kick this puppy back up a few notches, eh?! ;)

• clee22
    11 years ago

How do I get adopted =(

• kilngod
    10 years ago

The Adopt-A-Newbie list

is back up and running on the Seed Exchange!

Link to the active thread is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Adopt-A-Newbie list

Sponsored