Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adopt a newbie

Posted by ymaddox ky 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 1:52

for you guys who have lots of seeds to spare on the round robin forum there is a adopt a newbie...some of them been waiting long time to be adopted, check it out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adopt a newbie

It is Maxed out on posts! Need To start a new one. SOMEBODY!

o

We need to post reminders here as not many know about it, first time I've seen it and found newbies thru right here..just don't have newbie adoption certificates, smiles.
thanks
Bea

o

How do I get on the adopt a newbie list? I'm a newbie and would be very appreciative of any seeds someone would be willing to send me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

o

updated the adopt a newbie thread at round robin exchange...thanks

o
txnurse

txnurse go over to the round robing exchange and everything is there...then one of us can adopt you...thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: adopt a newbie

o

TXNurse77
I would be delighted to adopt you. I'm working on updating my trade page but I'm certain I have plenty to get you started. What are you interested in?
regards,
seedmoney

Here is a link that might be useful: trade list in progress

o
bump

bump

o

bump

o
placing adoption info on seed exchange

Jennyerin --post a zone and i can put you on the list.
ShellJo77 -- Post here and tell us your state and some general gardening interests. You're more likely to be adopted and adopted better if your veteran matches part of your interests.
ScrapNCrafty -- post a zone and I can put you on the list.
palmcitrusbananavaz7 -- gotcha, on the border.
Current Newbies to be Adopted:
Zone 5:
tlgraham (zone 5) (interests:veggies)
jlee160 (5b Michigan) (interests: edible landscape, flowers)
sunflowerlove25 (Illinois) (interests: container gardening, veggies, herbs, shade plants)
ShellJo77 (state unk) (interests: unk)
lieblingxdasxkraut (WI) (interests: perennials, annuals, any veggies/fruits especially heirlooms)

Zone 6:
razkeys (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies)
sixmillerz (6a SW Missouri) (interests: OP heirloom veggies)
miafolks2011 (springfield mass) (interests: veggies, fruits)
molotschna (6a Kansas) (interests include coleus, houseplants, see page)
wshifra (NJ) (interests: tomatoes, herbs, perennial flowers)
h_mclellan (6b TN) (interests: part sun/shade, natives, wildlife attractors, has clay soil)
hootiesmomma (KY) (interests: veggies, fruits, edibles)
ozarkgirl (state unk) (interests: unk)
LouisePace (Phila,PA) (interests: native plants/flowers, cat plants, herbs, grasses)

Zone 7:
at2bells (state unknown, please post) (interests: anything; has a few wants on trade list)
kidsandcats (state unk, please post) (interests: any houseplants)
mellovesgardening (7b Eastern Georgia) (interests: butterfly bushes, hostas, houseplants, veggies, fruits)
sweet_clementine (MD/DC) (interests: natives, shade/part sun, often wet/swampy, forested palustrine wetlands...& shade/sun cottage/butterfly/bird garden, has better drainage)
palmcitrusbananavaz7 (7/8 So VA) (interests: daylillies, brugs, cannas)
flux_capacitor (OK) (interests: small urban agriculture, sustainability, vegetables, grains, flowers, herbs, oddities)
cry24 (7b NC) (interests: shade or sun perennials, any veggies or herbs, hardy tropical looking things)

Zone 8:
deebie (8a SC) (interests: sun perennials, houseplants)
heavensqt (TX) (intersts: toddler gardening, flowers, veggies)
GrowingBeauty (Louisiana) (interests: veggies, fruits)

Zone 9:
BotanicalPioneer (Mohave Desert, AZ) (interests: heirloom/OP herbs, veggies, edible flowers)

Zone 10:
sadielynnmiller (southern cal.) (interests:Fruits, Veggies, herbs would be greatly appreciated)
islandkitty (southernflorida) (interests: indoor/outdoor container herbs, medicinal plants,and edible fruits,veggies)

Adoptions in-process or completed:
seedmoney adopting txnurse77, sweet_clementine, and cry24
aqtrhorselover no zone noted adopted by sassybutterfly
tlgraham zone 5 (nancyplants)- sasbe
lovesherflowers (NE OH) (cryptid)
chipper4444 (OH) (ymaddox)
ozarkgirl zone6/7 (cryptid)
bigkemt zone 5 (plant-one-on-me)
melody777 zone 9 (grovespirit)
zenlikeme zone 9b/10a Florida (grovespirit)
piscesfish zone 6 OK (grovespirit)
LEKennedy4 zone 10 (canyonwind)
Astroknot zone 10a CA (piksi_hk)
wispfox zone 6a Waltham, MA (celeegra)
toybee zone 7 Central NC (naturegirl236)
lat4005 zone 7b NC (naturegirl236)
Jennifer9906 zone 8/9 Texas Coast (canyonwind)
hrg126 zone 6 WV (beth_b_kodiak)
Epilogue1212 zone 6 (flowergirl34)
vv79 zone 7 VA (mavis07)
harpspiel zone 6 (kms4me)
PABoognish zone 6 PA (cryptid)
drsanjose zone 9 So. Cal (socalgal)
onethousandblooms zone 9 California (canyonwind)
*** and 50 others!! ***

o
adoption criteria

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.
***Newbies are newbies if they are truly new to Gardenweb, OR are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR could really use help with seed access. Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.
These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

***STANDARD AMOUNT FOR AN ADOPTION = 12 PACKS OF SEEDS***
(Though you can certainly do more if you have more to share.)

Costs to the Newbie:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)
--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14
--payment of the postage can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:
--your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. make sure your email setting is correct (see link below)
--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)
--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:
--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.
--to make things go bold, post < b > before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and < / b > after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:
--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie. This is for their protection.
--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in an adoption with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details with the veteran. (At this point, that usually means them offering things to send, and indicating about how much postage that will cost, and how you should send that postage.)
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--After receiving the package, thank your veteran & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).
--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum

o
update yourself- thanks

within the next ten days if you are still interested in being adopted but have not please post so i know your still interested. those not confirming they are still interested will just have to place their name again when they return. thanks all!!!

o
kilngod

hey aqua where is kilngod i emailed her to see what is up...she usually does the adopt a newbie thread?

o

Dont know!! Hope this gets up and going again. would adopt a few more.

o
okay

i will try to keep it up best i can, i just dont want to overstep my boundaries ya know...just was trying to be helpful.

o

You are the best!

o

Hi there,
I am interested in adopting a newbie. Do I just check the list above and email them? How do I know if they are already adopted? Once I get this figured out, I may be able to adopt another. ;-)
Thanks,
Lisa
p-piper

o
adoption info.

U know because I have updated recently just check out posts below my update. There are adoptions by zone but your welcome to adopt anyone. Those adopted or in the process are no longer on list they are under adoptions in process unless sasbe by name then they will still be on list as they have someone just sending them a few seeds and are still eligible for adoption. Hope this helps.

o
adoption info.

U know because I have updated recently just check out posts below my update. There are adoptions by zone but your welcome to adopt anyone. Those adopted or in the process are no longer on list they are under adoptions in process unless sasbe by name then they will still be on list as they have someone just sending them a few seeds and are still eligible for adoption. Hope this helps.

o
update

LynnCa --please post your zone and your interests
Jennyerin --post a zone and i can put you on the list.
ShellJo77 -- Post here and tell us your state and some general gardening interests. You're more likely to be adopted and adopted better if your veteran matches part of your interests.
ScrapNCrafty -- post a zone and I can put you on the list.
palmcitrusbananavaz7 -- gotcha, on the border.

Zone 5:
mashman (zone 5b) (interests: heirloom veggies)
tlgraham (zone 5) (interests:veggies)
jlee160 (5b Michigan) (interests: edible landscape, flowers)
sunflowerlove25 (Illinois) (interests: container gardening, veggies, herbs, shade plants)
ShellJo77 (state unk) (interests: unk)

Zone 6:
razkeys (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies)
sixmillerz (6a SW Missouri) (interests: OP heirloom veggies)
miafolks2011 (springfield mass) (interests: veggies, fruits)
molotschna (6a Kansas) (interests include coleus, houseplants, see page)
wshifra (NJ) (interests: tomatoes, herbs, perennial flowers)
hootiesmomma (KY) (interests: veggies, fruits, edibles)
ozarkgirl (state unk) (interests: unk)
LouisePace (Phila,PA) (interests: native plants/flowers, cat plants, herbs, grasses)

Zone 7:
at2bells (state unknown, please post) (interests: anything; has a few wants on trade list)
kidsandcats (state unk, please post) (interests: any houseplants)
sweet_clementine (MD/DC) (interests: natives, shade/part sun, often wet/swampy, forested palustrine wetlands...& shade/sun cottage/butterfly/bird garden, has better drainage)
palmcitrusbananavaz7 (7/8 So VA) (interests: daylillies, brugs, cannas)
flux_capacitor (OK) (interests: small urban agriculture, sustainability, vegetables, grains, flowers, herbs, oddities)
cry24 (7b NC) (interests: shade or sun perennials, any veggies or herbs, hardy tropical looking things)

Zone 8:
deebie (8a SC) (interests: sun perennials, houseplants)
heavensqt (TX) (intersts: toddler gardening, flowers, veggies)
GrowingBeauty (Louisiana) (interests: veggies, fruits)

Zone 9:
BotanicalPioneer (Mohave Desert, AZ) (interests: heirloom/OP herbs, veggies, edible flowers)

Zone 10:
sadielynnmiller (southern cal.) (interests:Fruits, Veggies, herbs would be greatly appreciated)
islandkitty (southernflorida) (interests: indoor/outdoor container herbs, medicinal plants,and edible fruits,veggies)

mikki 777 (zone 6) (rosemctier)
lexiegurl (NC) (gardenerz)
lieblingxdasxkraut (WI) (rosemctier)
chipper4444 (OH) (ymaddox)
ozarkgirl zone6/7 (cryptid)
bigkemt zone 5 (plant-one-on-me)
melody777 zone 9 (grovespirit)
zenlikeme zone 9b/10a Florida (grovespirit)
piscesfish zone 6 OK (grovespirit)
LEKennedy4 zone 10 (canyonwind)
Astroknot zone 10a CA (piksi_hk)
wispfox zone 6a Waltham, MA (celeegra)
toybee zone 7 Central NC (naturegirl236)
lat4005 zone 7b NC (naturegirl236)
Jennifer9906 zone 8/9 Texas Coast (canyonwind)
hrg126 zone 6 WV (beth_b_kodiak)
Epilogue1212 zone 6 (flowergirl34)
vv79 zone 7 VA (mavis07)
harpspiel zone 6 (kms4me)
PABoognish zone 6 PA (cryptid)
drsanjose zone 9 So. Cal (socalgal)
onethousandblooms zone 9 California (canyonwind)
*** and 50 others!! ***

o

As per my post I have deleted those that may have been on the list for awhile and have not nor maybe never will return. If your name was removed and your still interested just post and I will readd you but we need to know you still are interested...thanks and merry christmas!

Zone 5:
mashman- interests: heirloom veggies
tlgraham- interests:veggies

Zone 6:
lizgyrl- interests:veggie, flowers, and greenhouse seeds

Zone 7:
corrine1- interests:perennials, annuals, & vegetables (true to seed varieties please)

Zone 8:

Zone 9:
LynnCa- interests:tomatoes

Zone 10:

lexiegurl (NC) (gardenerz)

o
lizgyrl

lizgyrl i would be happy to adopt you if you just drop me a email...thanks.

o
to top

back to top :)

o

mashman and tlgraham, I'm not in your zone but I AM into heirloom veggies and would be happy to adopt you. Send me an email.

o
bump

bump

o
please update me

rosemctier and p-piper if your adoptions are going through please let me know...thanks

o
adopt a newbie update

please note all adoptions from now on will be through the seed exchange forum...thank you.

o
new newbie list

---------------------------------
Zone 5:
mashman- interests: heirloom veggies
tlgraham- interests:veggies
lizinelizabeth- interests: bird & butterfly friendly but deer resistant. ex: agastaches, yarrows, beardtongue
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
corrine1- interests:perennials, annuals, & vegetables (true to seed varieties please)
peaceful warrior- interests organic, open pollinated/heirloom seeds fruits & veggies
winnie13 -interests: perrenials: zinnias, daisies, foxglove, lupines, babybreath, white cleome, irises, daylily
----------------------------------
Zone 8:
gagreenman- interests: flowers, herbs, and vegetables
Zone 9:
Zone 10:

-----------------------------------
lizgyrl- adopted by ymaddox
lexiegurl- adopted by gardenerz
seedmoney- adopting txnurse77, sweet_clementine, and cry24
aqtrhorselover- adopted by sassybutterfly

o

I would like to adopt tlgraham. thanks!

o
please update

mashman, tlgraham, and winnie 13 you all have officially been adopted if you are in the process of this adoption please post here. or if you are still interested in being adopted please post here. that way i know whether to keep your names on the list or put you as adopted...thanks!

o

tee hee, I've already packed up seeds last night! Can't wait to get the bubblie!

o

FYI I have sent messages to both mashman and tlgraham and posted here but no response.

o
Newbie looking for a vet

We are just getting started introducing our children (4 yrs and 5 yrs) to gardening, chickens, goats, and farm life in general. We are hoping to plant a large vegetable garden with as much variety as possible to introduce all of us to new tastes and varieties. The boys eat everything, and we are hoping to can/freeze a lot of vegetables for the winter months. We have tons of space, some enthusiastic but small laborers, but are true newbies beyond basic herbs/tomatoes/lettuces/onions. We'd welcome a vet with seeds to share and advice on new endeavors including wheat/oats and more colorful/different vegetables.

o

Hi Yvonne. I just emailed gardenerz to let him know that I appreciate his offer, but that I no longer need to be adopted. I got an amazing amount of seeds as part of the secret santa swap, so I don't think I'm considered a newbie anymore :). I will try to work something out to maybe adopt someone soon when I have enough of everything. I hope someone else can be adopted by gardenerz and get to enjoy the fun in veggie gardening, as I would rather someone who doesn't have many seeds get the offer than me. Thank you! :)

o

I'm interested in being adopted. My neediness index isn't very high, but you're only a newbie once:)

I'm into open-pollinated vegetables. My garden is especially lacking in long-keeping beets or turnips, long-keeping long day bulb onions, and bush C. moschata squash (e.g bush butternut, black futsu), or see my list. I don't mind if you don't stick to some standard number of varieties - my garden is pretty small.

Whether you adopt me or someone else, thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Happy New Year.

o

P-piper - I got your email. I would love to be adopted by you. I am going to respond to your message now!

o
mashman

mashman i have removed your name due to no response to the person adopting you...if you are still interested and for whatever reason have not be able to revisit the thread just let me know so i can readd you..thanks

o
updated newbie list

Zone 4:
spacetogrow- interests: open pollinated vegetables including long keeping beets, turnips, onions, and bush C. moschata squash (bush butternut or black futsu for example)
--------------------------------
Zone 5:
lizinelizabeth- interests: bird & butterfly friendly but deer resistant. ex: agastaches, yarrows, beardtongue
Zone 6:
messyboysfarms- interests: wheat/oats and veggies
Zone 7:
winnie13 -interests: perrenials: zinnias, daisies, foxglove, lupines, babybreath, white cleome, irises, daylily
Zone 8:
Zone 9:
Zone 10:

-----------------------------------

peaceful warrior- adopted by p-piper
tlgraham- adopted by gardenunusual2

*PLEASE NOTE IF ANY OF THESE ADOPTIONS FALL THROUGH PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN REMOVE ADOPTEES NO LONGER INTERESTED OFF THE LIST AND/OR READD IF THEY WERE NOT ADOPTED...THANKS :)

o

I am starting from scratch and would love to be addopted by any one willing. Heirloom veggies and herbs,open pollenated veggies and herbs covercrops like hairyvetch,hulless oats,alfalfa,soy ,favabeans and clover,animal fodders like broom corn,turnips,parsnips,sorgum, any kinds flowers etc.etc. I am in zone 5. My goal here is to become as self supporting and natural ( No,chemicles or GMOs) as possible so any thing I can save seeds from for future use and sharing with others. Hope I didnt over due it! Lol, Thank You

o
Adopt a newbie from Long Island, NY please!

I would love to be adopted here if anyone is able! I grow veggies and herbs organically (starting most of the seed indoors) and if possible would love some seed varieties that are a bit out of the ordinary and of course delicious. I LOVE tomatoes, peppers (hot and sweet), and eggplants, but I am also looking to increase my repertoire. If there is anyone who has any extra seeds I would be very grateful and can't wait till next year when I can return the favor! Thanks in advance!!

o

I would love to be adopted! My husband and I had our first small veggie garden last year, and it was a sad, sad affair. Hopefully this year will be better! I'm interested in veggies, herbs and flowers for companion planting. Thanks!

o
new year update

Posted by ymaddox ky 6 (My Page) on Sat, Dec 31, 11 at 16:56

Zone 4:
spacetogrow- interests: open pollinated vegetables including long keeping beets, turnips, onions, and bush C. moschata squash (bush butternut or black futsu for example)
Zone 5:
demonshollowasylum- interests heirloom veggies, herbs, covercrop, and flowers (open pollinated)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
Krystiekeen- interests: veggies and herbs, some out of the ordinary
Zone 8:
blissfactor- interests: veggies, herbs, and flowers
Zone 9:
Zone 10:

*PLEASE NOTE IF ANY OF THESE ADOPTIONS FALL THROUGH PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN REMOVE ADOPTEES NO LONGER INTERESTED OFF THE LIST AND/OR READD IF THEY WERE NOT ADOPTED...THANKS :)

o

Hello,

I was adopted last year by a very generous member and would like to do the same this year. I would like to adopt blissfactor. I will email blissfactor next!

scratchits

o

I have plenty of variety to share, however certain varities I only have limited amount of seeds to share. If this is okay to do as long as my adoptee is aware, I would like to adopt Krystiekeen. I will email krystiekeen now!

o

Hi all! I have a new home and no garden. I can do seeds and plants. I love the colors red, purple, fushia, black, yellow and green. Plants or seeds that I would love to have again in my garden: Jewels of Opar, Gazania, hostas, dward mondo and black mondo grass, red hot poker, elephant ears and cannas. SOMEONE PLEASE ADOPT ME!

o

I'm in south-west Illinois. I'm new to gardening so I really don't know plant varieties. I would like to mostly plant what we will eat or flowers that are supposed to keep bugs away from my vegetables. I would like to do beans, peas, bell peppers, onion (yellow and purple), green onions, squash, zucchini, strawberry, watermelon, lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe corn (I don't know...), blueberries, cantaloupe, turnip/mustard greens, cabbage, celery, blackberries. I was blessed with 2 little boys that LOVE fruit and vegetables! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

o

Hi all,
I have adopted Peaceful_Warrior.

o

I gave good packages to several people.

o

I have adopted Krystiekeen and look forward to sending her seeds soon!

o

I have emailed and adopted sdtcwarren.

Don (dem_pa)

o

Thank you so much Don! I can't wait to start my garden. I greatly appreciate your help.

o

Mailed seeds out to blissfactor on Jan. 7th. Adoption completed!

o

I was adopted by gardenunusual2 and received a very generous package from her!! Thank you for adopting me Tanya and thanks for the "adopt a newbie"

o
update 01092012

Zone 4:
Zone 5:
demonshollowasylum- interests heirloom veggies, herbs, covercrop, and flowers (open pollinated)
Zone 6:
Zone 7:
mokey_ interests:Jewels of Opar, Gazania, hostas, dward mondo and black mondo grass, red hot poker, elephant ears and cannas
Zone 8:
Zone 9:
Zone 10:
Krystiekeen- adopted by lexiegurl
blissfactor- adopted by scratchits

*Please look at adoptee's post to view more detailed info.

o
a few thoughts

I am so proud of how well this adopt a newbie thread is doing...you guys and gals are so generous, thank you for your continued support!

guys ladyrose65 has placed a offer out there to adopt, get ahold of her and see if she can accomodate your needs...lady please let me know whom you have adopted...thanks so much.

lynnca i sent you some tomatoes...not sure if you have enough or do you have other wants. please post and let us know what else you need. i sent a sasbe i did not adopt you, so your still open for adoption if needed...let us know...thanks.

o

How do I get adopted? We had to move for a job, and I had to leave my lovely greenhouse. Now I have to start all over. Any help with veggies and herbs would be appreciated!

o

Hello everyone, I am from new mexico, zone 7a. I have been using the site for reference for quite a while now and finally decided to make an account. I am an avid seed collector (and grower of course) and was quite excited to find this forum.
This newbie board is a great idea and I will definitely be contributing to it in the future :D
At the moment I am living in an apartment so I am doing container gardening mostly, flowers and herbs atm, also trying a passion flower vine and a few silk trees.
I am interested in succulents, cacti, and really I am open to try anything new.
I really want to start growing most of my own food within the next couple years so veggies of all kinds would be greatly appreciated.
I have more than one property I am growing at, so I am in no way limited on the types of plants I can grow.

At this time I have a ton of variegated morning glories seeds and poinsettia pepper seeds. I will be having more available after this growing season of course, but I have quite a few unidentified species right now, and I want to be sure of what they are (color, etc.) before I post them all up here :)

Thank you for the help and I look forward to our future exchanges :D
-Gabe

Also, at this time I have a ton of variegated morning glories seeds and poinsettia pepper seeds. I will be having more available after this growing season of course, but I have quite a few unidentified species right now, and I want to be sure of what they are (color, etc.) before I post them all up here :)

o

ymaddox,
I am ok with the tomato seeds now, thank you very much. I would love to have some cucumber and beans seeds if anyone can spare some, then I will be graduate from Newbie! Thanks evryone.

o

If u find you are not being adopted it may be that your wants are to specific and noone has your total list. I would suggest reposting and broadening your interests so that we get everyone adopted. often times you will get enough that you can trade for your other wants. just a suggestion. the other thing is you often get seeds you did not know existed then your off and running collecting a whole new species of plant, at least that's me :)

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 12 at 12:48

Update: Please remove me from the newbie list as I now have some commercial & other seeds to trade for children's garden vegetables & annuals at our year round camp.

Looking for...easy to grow in our long wet spring & cool summer climate ...green peas & beans, carrots, oriental vegetables (Chinese cabbages, bok choi, spinach-mustard, broccoli), dinosaur kale, nasturtiums, snapdragons, sunflowers, & zinnia.

Corrine

o

Lynn,

I just sent you an email via GW. I can help you out with some cucumber and bean seeds.

Email me when you get a chance!

Annie

o

At the suggestion of ymaddox, I'm expanding my wish list.

I can use heirloom/OP varieties of edamame; beans from Appalachia - greasy, cut-short, cornfield; Rattlesnake beans; beans from Norway or Sweden; borage; cilantro; Oxheart carrots; Green Glaze or Greasy Collard; Amish Snap or any tasty pea; Beaver Dam or Tomato Pepper or any hot pepper from Eastern Europe (already have Hungarian Hot Wax); White Icicle radish; potato onions or long keeping garlic or shallots; Minnesota Midget Melon, ground cherry.

On the Dec. 30 posting, I expressed interest in long day long keeping onions, long keeping turnips or beets (especially Lutz beets) and Black Futsu or Butterbush squash.

Hopefully, this can make my adoption more approachable. As I mentioned, there's no great need to send me 12 things. If you want to round it up to 12, feel free to add some veggie seeds that you have plenty of that might grow in zone 4.

Thank you, and thanks to ymaddox for facilitating.

o
spacetogrow

spacetogrow the only thing i have on my whole list that i may be able to help with is i have a purple white top globe turnip...if you interested i will send you some and you will still be open for adoption...lmk

o
corrine

corrine as well email me and i have some sunflowers i can share and why dont you keep your adoption open for the things you mentioned...sounds like a great cause!

o

LynnCA and I have talked. I will be sending her a few things (not an adoption) on her want list!

Thanks!

Annie

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 11, 12 at 0:27

OK, as ymaddox suggested I'd still be interested in adoption for a children's garden of vegetables & annuals at our year round camp where children attend before & after school day care as well as summer camps.

Looking for...easy to grow in our long wet spring & cool summer climate ...green peas & beans, carrots, oriental vegetables (Chinese cabbages, bok choi, spinach-mustard, broccoli), dinosaur kale, nasturtiums, snapdragons, sunflowers, & zinnia.

Also, your easy growing seeds for our camp's entrance gardens to provide color & cheer at all times of the year in sun, part sun, & shade.

Corrine

o

I would like to adopt lizinelizabeth and will be sending an e-mail shortly.

o

Updating post for adoption as ymaddox suggested.
I thought I was requestig help with a broad list so as not to limit anyone or my self but I think the heirloom part may have actually limited me. I am interested in just about any thing and everything as stated.I prefer the old true varieties of veggies and herbs since they seed save well and so therefore I listed heirlooms. Anything that is easy to seed save from and reseeds true would be greatly appreciated and happily passed on in the future.
Thank you ymaddox for the suggestion

o

Thanks molanic! I will look for your email....

o

I would love to be adopted!! I am Zone 9, Texas.
Am I late for the party?!!

o

ymaddox, the purple top turnips sound delightful! Thanks for the offer. Please e-mail your address so I can send an SASE. Do turnip seeds need a bubble mailer?

o
never to late

luisito8m not to late please tell some info about what you would like or if open to anything. i will update later this weekend probably, work next couple days and my poor shihtzu about to pop, expecting puppies anyday... house needs cleaned, need to wintersow some seeds, and the list goes on and on lol. but i will get this updated soon as i can...just put what you would like and hopefully very soon someone will pick you and send you plenty of seeds to start...thanks!

o

Great to hear there is still time!

My info:

I am very new to this, I don't know much but I have the motivation to learn. My main interest would be vegetables, things like peppers, tomatoes, tomatillo, onions. But I am open to anything as long as it is not "too big", such as trees, bushes... I've tried herbs but I would definitely need couching there, all my herbs have died.

Currently I have 2 peppers plants that I have been able to grow with difficulty, the first plants I've ever planted, however they are healthy and full of peppers, I planted the seeds around 5 months ago and I am proud to say that I will be harvesting next month. My very first vegetables, planted and harvested all by myself!

In addition to the vegetables, I would like to learn about small flowers, any type as long as they are small.

Sorry if I am not being specific or if I don't use the correct wording, but I am very new to this, but very excited! :D

I am Zone 9, McAllen, TX.

Cheers!

Luis

o

I received my package from Don (dem-PA) yesterday. Wow! I cannot thank him enough! He sent me a very generous and wonderful selection!! I cannot wait til spring to get started!! Thank you for such a wonderful program!

o

I am a newbie and need adopting.

I am interested in all vegetables, herbs, flowers, and bulbs.

I am in North Texas Zone 8a.

I had my first real garden last spring and a moderately successful fall garden. Before last year, I did garden but it was more of buy some transplants from HD and hope they grow even if I ignore them the rest of the summer.

I am sticking with this gardening thing though bc the food I did grow was so delicious! I look forward to the day that I am an adopter!

o

Lynn,

The seeds you wanted were sent out this morning. Enjoy...Happy Gardening!

Annie

o

ymaddox,

I was looking back in this thread...gagreenman zone 8 signed up in December and still has not been adopted. I am going to email him and see if he is still interested.

Annie

o

Annie,
Its so exciting! Thank you so much! I will let you know when I got the seeds.
Happy Gardening!

Lynn

o

Hello there! I'm Rebecca, and I'm in zone 6 in Oklahoma. I just bought a house this past summer, and am really excited to start a garden this spring! I'm interested in wildflowers (would LOVE some poppies), herbs (love lavender, and would like to try the toothache plant, German chamomile), vegetables (anybody have kohlrabi, leeks, or asparagus), and succulents. Really, anything helps.. as well as advice on what and how to grow these plants in Oklahoma! I'm totally new to gardening, but hugely motivated!

o

I would be happy to send beckers99 some kohlrabi and a few other things without it being a formal "adoption".

o

Gagreenman (Dave) responded to my email yesterday. He would still like to be adopted.

BUT...Dave you did not send me your address. So when you get a chance, email me your address. You mentioned that you do not check your email but a couple of times a week. I emailed you back and am posting here...SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS...LOL!

Thanks much!

Annie

o

Annie,
I got the seeds this morning! Thank you so much! I really appreciate your kindly support.
ymaddox, now you can please take me off the newbie list! Thank you for hosting this event. And happy spring gardening to everyones!

Lynn

o

I am expanding my listing at the suggestion of ymaddox, or providing more detail on what I would be interested in.
I love to make pesto, but so far have only tried sweet basil and an unspecified "organic" breed my local whole foods store sold. If you can suggest any basil breeds to me, and have some to spare, I would love to try something new.
My balcony faces west, so I get the hot afternoon sun and it killed my cilantro quickly last year. If you have any slow bolting cilantro blends or parsley I would love those as well.
The last thing I really "need" (haha) is onion seeds. I have never grown onions from seed but I have been reading up on it and would love to try this year.

Any help is appreciated! :D
Thanks,
Gabe

o
updating and bumping

Zone 4:
*please take a look at spacetogrows most recent post of things she is open to...it really opens up her adoption- thanks
Zone 5:
demonshollowasylum- interests heirloom veggies or anything that reseeds true, veggies, herbs, covercrop, and flowers (open pollinated)
Zone 6:
beckers99- intersts: wildflowers (poppies etc.), herbs (lavender, toothache plant, german chamomile), veggies (kohlrabi, leeks, asparagus), and succulents.
Zone 7:
ascrius- interests: succulents,cacti, veggies, onion seed, different basils, open to anything
jedonne- interests: veggies and herbs
mokey_ interests:Jewels of Opar, Gazania, hostas, dward mondo and black mondo grass, red hot poker, elephant ears and cannas
corrine1- interests:perennials, annuals, & vegetables (true to seed varieties please) green peas, beans, carrots, oriental vegetables, dinosaur kale, nasturtiums, snapdragons, sunflowers, zinnia
Zone 8:
optimistique- interests: vegetables, herbs, flowers, and bulbs
Zone 9:
luisito8m- interests: veggies and herbs...easy to grow things but only small flowers.

Zone 10:
lizinelizabeth- adopted by molanic
lynnca- adopted by canyonwind
sdtcwarren- adopted by dem pa
Krystiekeen- adopted by lexiegurl
blissfactor- adopted by scratchits

*Please look at adoptee's post to view more detailed info.

o
hey gals

spacetogrow and corrine i believe i got a email from you both saying you got what i had offered, is that correct? (please note that does not mean these gals are still not up for adoption they are, but a generous person sent them a few of a particular seed variety they was looking for and both are still up for adoption) sorry i must have deleted them before responding...been very busy. my shihtzu just had puppies and been tending to her and them.

o
throwing the gauntlet lol

beckers 99 email me need to discuss your list with you please :) messyboysfarms please email me as well...hoping to facilitate a adoption with the both of you if i have what you want.

im adopting two more...who's next to follow? lets go guys lets wipe out this list and make some new comers happy :)

o
check out these two places also newbies :)

also guys bakemom has some newbie packs over on the winter sowing forum...and if you have not checked the forum out please do so, very interesting...i wintersow and have had great success. also wintersown.org

Here is a link that might be useful: free seed site as well

o

Adopt me! ^^

o

I looked at my seed collection and the packaging from which my morning glories came from last year, they are the sunrise blend Ipomoea purpurea so assuming they come true from seed, I have around 500 or so seeds of good enough quality to grow available if anyone needs any.
I have some Poppy seed which has yet to be identified,
about 15 Mimosa tree seeds (Albizia julbrissin),
mixed Butterfly Bush seed (Buddleia davidii)(not a lot),
Black Pearl peppers (as well as an orange variety),
Poinsettia peppers,
unidentified Datura which I have yet to get to sprout,
and some Pride of Madeira seeds.

I can't seem to figure out how to update my listings on my profile for "seeds I have to trade"
Can anyone give me info on how to do this?

Thank you :D

o

Thanks for updating the list ymaddox!

o
updating trade list

members page at bottom here then to edit exchange list

o
bump

optimistique tell you what i will adopt you...i have no herbs so you will have to trade for those. and if three other people adopts three we have our newbie list caught up...come on guys lets do this, can anyone adopt a few more people. thanks in advance.

o

I would like to be adopted I just joined today and have nothing to trade right now. Very interested in veggies of all kinds and flowers also like sunflowers and anything vining

o

This is my first time adopting. I will adopt jedonne and maybe someone
else. Need to check my seed stash.

o
adopt newbie

Okay, I'll also adopt corrine1. I can send her true to type veggies,
but not too sure about true to type flowers if she is interested in
flowers.

o
thanks

jay please post your zone.

thanks roper thats nice of you :)

o

I will formally adopt beckers99, but I don't have chamomile

o

I would love to be adopted. new to seed sharing in west central MN big into edibles and shade loveing plants like hostas. also all echinaceas

o

I will officially adopt beckers99. I have no chamomile though.

o

I would love to have a little help getting started. Thanks <><

o

roper2008 Thanks for wanting to adopt me. I'll be looking for your email!

o

I would like to adopt demonshollowasylum.

o

tl.graham,
Thank you, I feel honored to be your first adoption.
I am looking forward to being able to do the same for some one else in the future.

o

I will adopt beckers99, but I have no chamomile. Can someone else provide this?

o

LoL, margez. I would help, but I don't have chamomile either.

o

Dave (gagreenman) sent me his address...Thanks Dave! Seeds will go out at the end of the week or early next.

Annie

o

Sorry, I did not mean to bombard the thread with posts. I had a computer problem, and the only thing that would show up was the end of the thread at the 93rd post. It looked to me that my posts were not going through. I could not see them. Turns out that I had to empty the cache.

o
updates for adoptions

-sent luisito8m a email

-optimistique and messyboysfarm neither of you have a email provided for me to email you...if your still interested in being adopted get ahold of me and i would be happy to adopt you. ymaddox1970@yahoo.com

-margez are you adopting beckers99 if not i was going to. and no problem bout the bombarding i was confused for a bit and my internet was down due to weather so i was on mobile and tough to try to fix things via mobile...i will start a new thread soon so glad this one was not truly full.

o

Woo hoo! Already sent ya an email.
SOOO HAppYY!!
Thnx Yvonne!

o

Hi all!

My name is Kim and we bought our first house in May of last year. I had a small garden (2 9x 4 plots) that I worked so hard at - but we just didn't get enough sun for squash and tomatoes. On the other hand, my lettuce went all the way into the fall!

I'm new(ish) to gardening, and completely new at seed saving! I let my prolific lettuce go to seed in the bed and plan to turn that whole bed into a lettuce zone. LOTS of salads come spring! I will be planting in the front yard so looking for edible landscaping plants.

List:
herbs - any and all especially basil, lavender, thyme, mint family (oregano), chives, dill, etc.
vegetables - lettuce, KALE, collards, chard, pumpkins, squash, winter squash, tomatoes, peppers,onion, beans, peas, I would love climbing beans/peas - I'm building a teepee for them to climb on and would love regular and/or interesting beans/peas/whatever
flowers - short to medium flowers? I'll use them line my beds. Maybe?

I'm not picky. I will love whatever anyone sends me and be grateful I don't have to buy it.

Thanks for running this. I hope to learn enough about seed saving to join one of the swaps next year!

o

Hi all,...I have adopted optimistique and we have been in communication. I will be sending seeds today. Sorry I didn't post here sooner. I actually proposed the adoption on the 12th, just not on the list (as I should have, or at least once the adoption was confirmed). My bad. Apologies, ymaddox!

o

Seeds sent!

o

Yes, I am adopting beckers99. I sent the kohlrabi that she wanted, and some poppies, but now I will do an actual adoption.

o

Hi everyone,
Soooo new to this. Im in the Seattle area and have not had the greatest luck. Would be interested in any veggies (esp tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, snap type peas or beans) or herbs (cilantro, basil or anything else) you have. Really, I'm willing to try anything. Also, if you know others in this area or ideas of where to go to get started (Kind of overwhelmed w/ all of the forums).

My kids (son 6 and identical girls 4) are finally old enough to give me more peace this summer and am REALLY looking forward to getting my hands dirty!!!
Thanks so much!!!
Leya

o

Hi, I am a newbie! I am so looking forward to spring! I am in zone 5. Uhh still lots of snow on the ground, although this year we can't complain its been mild. I have had a garden in the past as a hobby, this year we have doubled its size. My husband lost his job last June. Our income has been cut drastically, receiving 1/3 from unemployment of what he was making. So it is our hopes to produce more fruits and veggies to help us sustain our family of 7. My husband is in school for at least 7 more months, so things aren't going to change to quickly for us. This year my hobby has turned into reality. I look forward to learning from everyone here, I am going to need all the help I can get :)

I would be grateful for any seeds. My plan is to plant mostly heirloom, so that I can save seeds and be a future adoption contributor. In the past I have had my cucumbers get bacterial wilt and my tomatoes have got blight, so it would be better to have disease resistant strains of those but other than that I would love to try anything.

o
I need to be adopted! B^) RE: adopt a newbie

Hello! Today is my first day on garden web. I am looking for seeds to winter sow. I am searching for sase'ers until I get some seeds. I love gardening! I do organic gardening. Last year I lived in the DC area and had a beautiful garden in Rockville. I just moved back with my parents in the Pittsburgh area, and can't wait to have my next garden! I am so happy to be here. PLEASE ADOPT ME!!!!
PS - I am interested in heirloom and permaculture, too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wren Dancer's Blog

o

I am sending Demons Hollow Asylum's envie out tomorrow. Hope you like the selection!

o

captivatedlife has agreed to be adopted by me.

Don (dem_pa)

o

Dave's (gagreenman), your package is headed out tomorrow or Tuesday.

I emailed LeyaS about adopting her as well. She responded and we are a go.

Annie

o

I posted last week but did not hear anything so I thought I should expand a little about my gardening. I grow perenials like painted daisys and coneflowers and lillies cause I am a stay at home dad with a 2 year old that takes alot of my time so I grow hardy perenials that I don't have to do much with. Also love to grow any type of vegitable as that is a mainstay of our family dinning. Decided it might be nice to save seeds instead of having to always buy compleate plants so that I can get more growing for less money anyone that feels like adopting me and helping me get started I would greatly appreciate it

o
closed

this thread is officially closed please see thread 2...thanks!

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 12:32

I would be happy to have all noobs check out the Newbie Seed Project on Winter Sowing. For a SASBE and four stamps you get at least 20 packs of donated flower seeds.

It's in full swing right now so check it out. Note, please post your request on my thread with your email unblocked.

Bakemom

o

I am in zone 8 and would like to be adopted I will take any kind of seeds but prefer veggy's and flowers maybe even herbs since I would like to start a herb garden.I lost everything I had to the wild fires we had last summer so I am starting over.

o

Howzabout we kick this puppy back up a few notches, eh?! ;)

o

How do I get adopted =(

o

The Adopt-A-Newbie list

is back up and running on the Seed Exchange!

Link to the active thread is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Adopt-A-Newbie list

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here