Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Red Dawn Redwood Seeds

Posted by kent_t 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 19:49

Will pay postage or trade for Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood) Seeds. I have been looking for these for years. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
Thanks.
Kent

This post was edited by kent_t on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 7:04

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Red Dawn Redwood Seeds

Hey Kent,

You may want to be more specific or clear about what you want. If you are looking simply for Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood) seeds, they should be pretty easy to come by. If no one here has them, they are definitely available commercially from places like Sheffield's Seed or F.W.Schumacher.

If you are looking for seeds for a particular cultivar, that's a different story. By asking for "Red Dawn Redwood", it sounds as if you might be seeking something like Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Red', but I am not familiar with such, if it exists. Also, if it exists, it almost certainly wouldn't be a cultivar that would come true from seed. I'm thinking you may have just messed up on the name, but I'm not sure, and I'll bet others are also uncertain.

o

Thanks for the help, maybe now I will be able to find them. I tried to change the heading but was unable to do that?
Kent

o

Kent,

We have a dozen or so dawn redwoods growing here on a new part of the university campus. I have no idea what cultivar they are. The trees are only maybe 8-10 years old so may not be mature enough to be producing fertile cones. I'm more familiar w/coast redwoods, and don't have much of an idea about dawn redwoods.

I did manage to find one cone on one of the trees. I picked it green on Weds and dried it. It has a few dozen seeds, but I have no idea if they are viable. The embryos look smaller than for a coast redwood maybe that is normal/maybe they are no good. I can mail them to you if you want. If you are interested, you can email me via my member page.

Ryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here