Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kchd_gw

HAVE: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - part 3

kchd
10 years ago

Milkweed newbies: Have you ever thought about planting milkweed (Asclepias species) to provide habitat for monarchs in your own backyard?

Butterfly enthusiasts: Do you wish more gardeners would plant milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) in their gardens to support declining monarch populations?

Here's where we come together!

This is a variation of previous adopt-a-newbie swaps, but the focus of this swap is for milkweed seeds. This exchange will run through the end of the year, as milkweed growers have seeds become available that they want to share.

"Newbies" are considered to be gardeners who do not already have milkweed growing in their gardens.

As recently pointed out in a post by docmom, Monarch butterflies are currently in serious decline. Here in the US, where they spend their breeding season, Monarchs are directly faced with habitat destruction. Monarch butterflies exclusively use milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) as their host plants, upon which they lay eggs and their caterpillars feed on the milkweed until they pupate. The planting of milkweeds in home gardens can greatly aid in providing much needed habitat for their conservation. In addition to serving as host plants for monarchs, milkweeds also provide nectar for many other butterflies, bees, and other pollinators.

Costs to the Milkweed Newbie Adoptee:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage. Sending a pack of milkweed seeds, in a bubble envelope or otherwise wrapped for protection, will cost approx. 2 or 3 first class stamps.

Milkweed Newbie Adoptees:
--Please make sure your email address is enabled to "show to members" on your member page. You need to do this in order to be put on the list so that you can be contacted.
--you can list any special requests for certain milkweed species, although there are no guarantees that species will be available.
--include your zone & state.

Traders who want to adopt a milkweed newbie:
--Please pick someone who lives in a hardiness zone where your milkweed species will grow and survive.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, state, and offer to adopt them.
--work out how many stamps they need to send to you to cover the cost of postage and packaging.

The host/hostess(es) will (that's me, and other helpful volunteers):
--compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see if you have been adopted.
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details for how much postage you need to send to pay for mailing your milkweed seeds.
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--After receiving the package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adoption went through).
--Post good feedback / thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

Hoping there is lots of interest in this exchange. Feel free to pass the word around to generate more interest.

Got questions? Feel free to ask them here.

Want more info on Monarchs and Milkweed? Visit Monarch Watch

Comments (150)

• jsunbox
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you NKUSigEp 6. I received the seeds. I planted some seeds indoors and some outdoors to diversify my odds of success. I'll update you when I seem some germination.

• mrs.b_in_wy
    10 years ago

tumblingtomatoes agreed to be adopted.

• ndev0524 Nick
    10 years ago

flowersnhens agreed to being adopted and seeds were sent out.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I see that this thread has gotten buried while I've been buried at work after being sick... Time to update the newbie list at the top!

Katie

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, there we go. All updated!

ndev0524, I know your adoption is already underway, but I am a little concerned about your Asclepias tuberosa seeds making it in flowersnhens' zone 4 of Maine. I only say this because others in zone 4 have had difficulty with theirs making through the winter, depending on their seed source. Any chance you know the original seed source or your plants?

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:106039}}

For more info on conservation of the monarch, please visit the Xerces Society webpage. This conservation organization is a wealth of information.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Xerces Society - Monarchs

• artyfact
    10 years ago

KCHD-Thank you for making this grass-roots effort happen.
    I would like to be adopted and take part in helping the monarchs. I'm in zone 9a, northern California.

• AJD1221
    10 years ago

My trade with jimsun is complete - sent him some A. curassavica and got an email back saying he received them.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi there, NKUSigEp,
    I'm a little bit confused. :)
    I cannot find a post for 'jimsun' but I do have you down for jsunbox. Is this the same person?

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi there, artyfact. You are most welcome. And thank you for helping by planting milkweed!

• AJD1221
    10 years ago

kchd - yes, that's the one.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, good! I had you down for that adoption being complete, NKUSigEp :)

• AJD1221
    10 years ago

I've sent out asclepias seeds to others too but I can't recall specific GW members. I ended up adopting my boss and the assistant manager as well! :)

I can't wait to see what blooms this year!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NKUSigEp, if you need to refresh your memory, look all the way at the top of this thread to the list to see which newbies you adopted.

That's great news about 'adopting' your boss & asst. manager, hahaha! I love it.

I ordered some more milkweed seed from PMN to help get some of these newbies adopted; but, I did not order species that would be appropriate for those in California.

Katie

• domehomedee
    10 years ago

Hello, I have lots of fresh Asclepias curassavica seeds and several other types of Asclepias from trades too. Do Artyfact or ZoeMom need adopted?

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Dee, that would be great! Please let us know if/when you get in touch.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yippee, my seed order arrived today. I will be emailing the following newbies to see if they still want to be adopted.
    Newbies, please post to this thread if you don't get an email & we will work out getting in touch.

56. mamaof2dd, zone 7/8, w. TX
    61. fatkats, zone 7a, south NJ

• domehomedee
    10 years ago

I emailed Artyfact and she will be sending me some stamps for several kinds of milkweed seeds. I contacted ZoeMom and haven't heard back yet.

• sullivann
    10 years ago

Hello. I'm planting in zone 4 in Vermont and would love to put in a milkweed patch.

• ndev0524 Nick
    10 years ago

kchd,

The seeds were purchased from myseedneeds. Most websites I checked said they would survive down to zone three or four.

The seeds are already long gone, but hopefully the plants will survive the winter up in ME.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fantastic, ndev0524. I think survival of A. tuberosa in the colder zones depends a lot on where the parent plants originate.

sullivann, welcome! I will put you on the list AND I will adopt you. Be looking for an email from me so you can send me some stamps for postage.

• leymayhugh
    10 years ago

i would like some milkweed seeds:) whenever it's my turn i have a great place for them

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi there, leymayhugh! If you can let us know what state you are in, I will add you to the list of newbies to be adopted :)

Katie

• domehomedee
    10 years ago

Sending out milkweed seeds to Artyfact and ZoeMom today.
    All packed up and ready for the Post Office.
    I'll check back occasionally to see if any other zone 9ers need seeds. Here in CA I'm already planting milkweeds and have several types coming up. I still have some blooms on last years plants and saw a Monarch floating through yesterday!

• caw_in_zn5
    10 years ago

I am interested in planted a good sized plot of milkweed. Here in Idaho the county "weed abatement" sprays the edges of the road, which is where I have seen milkweed. I now have the property posted "spray-free zone" Hope someone will adopt me and I can get started. Zone 4-5 Cheryl

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Cheryl,
    Welcome! I will add you to the list of newbies.

DomeHome, thanks so much for the update!

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those of you who wish to read more about monarchs, their current status, and propagation of milkweeds, please check out this article. It is fantastic!

Monarchs (Danaus plexippus) and milkweeds (Asclepias
    species): The current situation and methods for propagating milkweeds
    by: Tara Luna and R Kasten Dumroese

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarchs and Milkweeds

• gin7
    10 years ago

i would love to help. by planting some seeds got non. someone please adopt me.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gin7, you have no zone listed, no state, and your email is not set up. Please fix this if you want to be adopted.
    Thanks!

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

update:

18. kmaries139, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar

I sent this person, kmaries139, a packet of several types of MW and other nectar seeds last fall as soon as she sent me her snail mail address. I've never heard a word from her since.

The other person I adopted was kind enough to let me know she did receive the package of seeds.

It is wonderful that this thread is still active.

Thank you, kchd, for all of your hard work.

Mary

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sullivann, I received your stamps today! I will put seeds in the mail for you on Monday.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mary, thanks so much for the update! So sorry to hear that one of the newbies you adopted were not gracious enough to let you know the seeds arrived safely.

In happy news, I read (in the publication I posted a link to on Feb. 20th) instructions for rooting Asclepias tuberosa cuttings. I did not realize that you could root cuttings of that species. I will have to try that with my super-red milkweed plant!

• crazycatmomma
    10 years ago

Sweetie, if you are still adopting out milkweeds. We live on this brilliant hobby farm in the Smokies and so far the only thing I can't grow are my nails.

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome, CrazyCatMomma! I added you to the list of newbies!

• SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi - is it OK if I get adopted, too?
    I hesitated joining in since I have curassiva and thought that I would be disqualified as a "newbie"..
    However, I just read that I shouldn't be growing the tropical milkweed and should grow the natives to Florida a. tuberosa, incarnata and perennis.

So maybe now I qualify . . . what do ya say? I'd like to make it up to my neighborhood butterflies!

Thanks
    Susie

• vbgoold
    10 years ago

Hi All,

What a great idea! I have been looking for some Asclepia tuberosa (butterfly milkweed) around my area to collect some seeds, but haven't found any yet. I would LOVE to send postage and have someone send me some that they have already collected! I am in Zone 7, Eastern Shore of MD. Thanks!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

Hi, I'd like to adopt vbgoold since I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, too. Vbgoold, send me an email with your mailing address and I will send you some seeds.. Jen

• artyfact
    10 years ago

I'm so happy to have received all kinds of milkweed seeds from Dee, aka domehome! I can't wait to get them in the ground and start watching for the monarchs and for others who might benefit from this very kind communal effort! I hope to be back here after the season with seeds to pass on to other butterfly gardeners. Thank you Dee and everyone!
    Diana

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    I will update the list of newbies shortly. In the meantime, I will adopt CrazyCatMomma.
    Katie

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

I haven't heard from vbgoold yet. Don't know if she read my post. Should I send her an email?

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi jensyen, yes I would go ahead and email them to initiate contact and arrange the details of the adoption.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

I contacted vbgoold and the adoption is on.

This post was edited by jensyen on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 0:01

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    10 years ago

I have a package of seeds headed to vbgoold.

This post was edited by jensyen on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 23:55

• ndgrad95
    10 years ago

Hi...I am a newbie and would like to plant milkweed. I'm in Zone 5, Ohio.

• country_gardener
    10 years ago

Hi, I am new to planting "milkweed" and would appreciate being adopted for the milkweed planting, zone 6b, IL.

• MobleyZN8
    10 years ago

I'm a milkweed newbie, if anyone can spare some seed. :)
    Emily

• sullivann
    10 years ago

Just wanted to post to say my milkweed and flower seeds have arrived. I'm psyched to put in a monarch bed, breeding ground/refuge/buffet. Thank you Katie.

• yollie60
    10 years ago

A milkweed newbie. Would like something native to Southern New Jersey or zone 7. Thank you in advance.

• brodyjames_gw
    10 years ago

I'm a milkweed newbie as well. I just found A. tuberosa seeds for sale in my area, but am looking for A. physocarpa, if anyone has any to spare.

Thanks.
    Nancy

• kchd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Please join us for the continuation of this thread on the
    Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - part 4 thread.

I will be posting updates to the List of Newbies there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - Part 4

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 18:57

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus