Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

o
HAVE: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - part 3

Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 10:38

Milkweed newbies: Have you ever thought about planting milkweed (Asclepias species) to provide habitat for monarchs in your own backyard?

Butterfly enthusiasts: Do you wish more gardeners would plant milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) in their gardens to support declining monarch populations?

Here's where we come together!

This is a variation of previous adopt-a-newbie swaps, but the focus of this swap is for milkweed seeds. This exchange will run through the end of the year, as milkweed growers have seeds become available that they want to share.

"Newbies" are considered to be gardeners who do not already have milkweed growing in their gardens.

As recently pointed out in a post by docmom, Monarch butterflies are currently in serious decline. Here in the US, where they spend their breeding season, Monarchs are directly faced with habitat destruction. Monarch butterflies exclusively use milkweeds (Asclepias sp.) as their host plants, upon which they lay eggs and their caterpillars feed on the milkweed until they pupate. The planting of milkweeds in home gardens can greatly aid in providing much needed habitat for their conservation. In addition to serving as host plants for monarchs, milkweeds also provide nectar for many other butterflies, bees, and other pollinators.

Costs to the Milkweed Newbie Adoptee:
--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.
--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage. Sending a pack of milkweed seeds, in a bubble envelope or otherwise wrapped for protection, will cost approx. 2 or 3 first class stamps.

Milkweed Newbie Adoptees:
--Please make sure your email address is enabled to "show to members" on your member page. You need to do this in order to be put on the list so that you can be contacted.
--you can list any special requests for certain milkweed species, although there are no guarantees that species will be available.
--include your zone & state.

Traders who want to adopt a milkweed newbie:
--Please pick someone who lives in a hardiness zone where your milkweed species will grow and survive.
--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie.
--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, state, and offer to adopt them.
--work out how many stamps they need to send to you to cover the cost of postage and packaging.

The host/hostess(es) will (that's me, and other helpful volunteers):
--compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.
--check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:
--check back here to see if you have been adopted.
--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you. This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/
--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details for how much postage you need to send to pay for mailing your milkweed seeds.
--send them the postage for what they're gifting.
--After receiving the package, thank your adopter & post here too (so we know the adoption went through).
--Post good feedback / thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

Hoping there is lots of interest in this exchange. Feel free to pass the word around to generate more interest.

Got questions? Feel free to ask them here.

Want more info on Monarchs and Milkweed? Visit Monarch Watch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - part 3

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 10:40

Milkweed Newbies up for Adoption
Updated 2/24/14

1. zioncottage, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
2. wonky, zone 7, AL -- adopted by butterflymomok - COMPLETE
3. cinnie0, zone 9b, so. CA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
4. sher305, zone 7, TX -- adopted by cghpnd - - COMPLETE
5. edlincoln, zone 6a, MA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
6. BayL, zone 3/4, MN -- adopted by xiangirl -- COMPLETE
7. missiblueridge, zone 7a, NC -- adopted by cghpnd - COMPLETE
8. craftie2, zone 8a, state? -- adopted by domehome -- COMPLETE
9. sallygardens, zone 7, east TN -- adopted by cghpnd - COMPLETE
10. jkelley393, zone 8a, SC -- adopted by poisondartfrog
11. lisianthuslover, zone 7a, NC -- adopted by cghpnd - COMPLETE
12. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by cghpnd - email re-sent
13. djune, zone 8, TX -- adopted by nel.nuciferator
14. ladyrose, zone 6b, NJ -- adopted by wildflowerman
15. preseley, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar - COMPLETE
16. kmaries139, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar - COMPLETE
17. petedist, zone 5, IN -- adopted by BeesNeeds - COMPLETE
18. Dani74, zone 7a, NC -- adopted by poisondartfrog - COMPLETE
19. LullabyF360, zone 8a, n LA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
20. lenahall, zone 7b, nw GA -- adopted by kchd - COMPLETE
21. socalgardengal, zone 10, CA -- adopted by socalgal -- COMPLETE
22. GMOFREEGUY, zone ?, n.CA -- adopted by domehome -- seeds sent
23. darlene87, zone 7, WA -- adopted by terenne & xiangirl -- COMPLETE
24. kathunder, zone 6a, OH -- adopted by docmom -- COMPLETE
25. Itzybitzy, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by wildflowerman2000
26. andbowen, zone 7b/8a, TX -- adopted by kchd
27. madcatter13, zone 6b, PA -- adopted by caterwallin -- COMPLETE
28. plantsforever, zone 6, -- adopted by caterwallin -- COMPLETE
29. michi81, zone 7, NC -- adopted by terenne
30. beth4652, zone 7, GA -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy
31. abarbie4me, zone 8, TX -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy - COMPLETE
32. MrsHolland, zone 7, NC -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy -- in contact
33. Fernette, zone 6, PA -- adopted by kchd -- COMPLETE
34. Lorabell, zone 8, NC -- adopted by dem_pa - COMPLETE
35. Duchessof8939, zone 6, TN -- adopted by dem_pa -- seeds sent
36. yeli0507, zone 9, state ?? -- adopted by dem_pa - COMPLETE
37. sandy_village, zone 9, CA -- adopted by Dee -- COMPLETE
38. clipclop, zone 8a, GA -- adopted by dem_pa -- COMPLETE
39. em247, zone 5a, IA -- adopted by docmom -- COMPLETE
40. teisa, zone 6, TN -- adopted by dem_pa - COMPLETE
41. Shannon.S, zone 10, FL -- adopted by jensyen
42. blossombrigade, zone 6/7, UT -- adopted by dem_pa - COMPLETE
43. MLPTurner, zone 10, CA -- adopted by jensyen -- COMPLETE
44. kcpavlik, zone 5b, IL -- adopted by dem_pa
45. PepperfromMI, zone 5b, IN -- adopted by dem_pa - COMPLETE
46. Brizee77, zone 6/7, TN -- adopted by dem_pa
47. plant-one-on-me, zone 6a, MI -- adopted by docmom
48. JerseyPurl, zone 6, NJ -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy - seeds sent
49. nicole_13, zone 7b, NC-- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy
50. Syntria, zone 8, TX -- self-completed (lol)
51. jsunbox, zone 10a, CA -- adopted by NKUSigEp COMPLETE
52. tumblingtomatoes, zone 9, FL -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy
53. jayhawkfan56, zone 5b/6a, KS -- adopted by xiangirl
54. katsgarden2012, zone 4, NH -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy
55. ZoeMom, zone 10, CA -- adopted by domehome
56. mamaof2dd, zone 7/8, w. TX -- adopted by kchd
59. flowersnhens, zone 4, ME -- adopted by ndev0524
60. VivVarble, zone 8B, se TX -- adopted by dem_pa
61. fatkats, zone 7a, south NJ -- adopted by kchd
62. artyfact, zone 9a, CA -- adopted by domehome
63. sullivann, zone 4, VT -- adopted by kchd
64. caw_in_zn5, zone 4/5, ID
65. CrazyCatMomma, zone 6, TN

This post was edited by kchd on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:06

o

I mailed seeds to em247 today. Hopefully, they'll arrive soon.

o

Received the seeds from docmom yesterday. Thank you for putting this forum together. We're excited to start our butterfly garden and hopefully help a newbie ourselves someday once our plants are established and produce seed.

o

Hi, I would love to receive seeds native to the Los Angeles/Southern California region, zone 10b. Thank you in advance and I appreciate the work that you all do.

o

Hi, I would love to receive seeds native to the Los Angeles/Southern California region, zone 10b. Thank you in advance and I appreciate the work that you all do.

o

o

I can send A. incarnata to:

32. beth4652, zone 7, GA
33. abarbie4me, zone 8, TX
34. MrsHolland, zone 7, NC

I'll send messages to find out if they're still awaiting adoption and post back.

Michelle

o

Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 15:17

Thanks so much for the updates, docmom and em247! Em, I hope you enjoy your milkweeds for many years.

Welcome, MLPTurner! I will add you to the list of newbies to be adopted.

Thank you so much, Michelle (mrs.b_in_wy) for offering to adopt 3 newbies :) Please come back and let us know if/when you get in touch with them. For now, I will mark all three of them as adopted by you.

I hope everyone has been wintersowing their milkweed seeds. It's a nice gardening activity for the winter time, and a perfect way to celebrate the Winter Solstice!

o

I have located someone who shared milkweed seeds with me, so please change my status from Newbie...I will be growing seeds come Spring!

Thank you to Dee Moore for:
Asclepias curassavica (tropical milkweed) in both the yellow/orange and the straight yellow.

o

I contacted Lorabell, Duchessof8939, yeli0507,
Sandy_village, teisa, and blossombrigade.

photo milkweedseed_zps4eee4df4.jpg

Don (dem_pa)

o

Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 16:52

Wow, more updates!

Thank you sandy_village, for letting us know. I will put you down as having been adopted by Dee :)

Awesome, Don! Thanks for the photo, and I will list you as having adopted 5 of those newbies (excluding sandy_village). Please post if/when you get in touch & updates to your adoptions.

andbowen and I are in touch & corresponding. That adoption should be wrapped up this month!

Katie

o

Dem-pa,

Thank you so much for adopting me. I received your e-mail.
Am looking forward to including them in my garden...lorabell

o

I would be much appreciative if someone would adopt me. I live in the Chicago suburbs. Zone 5B. Thank you!

o

Seeds are on the way to abarbie4me2. In fact, we set up a nice trade :)

There may be a problem with the e-mail address for beth4652. If so, I hope she(?) sees this post and contacts me.

o

What a cool idea!

I'm a newbie who would love to be adopted. I'm 5b, in northern Indiana (near the MI border). Hope to hear from someone soon. Thanks so much.

o

Hi there, I am a Milkweed Newbie and would love to have some growing on my property :) I am in zone 6-7 (right on the edge of the 2 zones) I would be a very grateful adoptee :)

Thanks

o

Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 9:25

Welcome, kcpavlik, PepperfromMI, and Brizee77! I will add you to the list of newbies to be adopted.

Thanks for the update, mrs.b_in_wy. Hopefully you will hear something from beth4652. If she doesn’t respond or check back in on the thread, just move on to another newbie.

o

I would love to receive some milkweed seeds. I moved to this house about 6 years ago and left behind my wonderful butterfly gardens. I have been planting mostly veggies but decided to bring back the butterflies and will devote one full raised bed just to them! Thanks in advance :) Kim

o

I have received the seeds from dem PA' a big thanks again.

o

I also received 2kinds of Milkweed seeds from dem_pa. I want to thank him, his kindness is greatly appreciated! This Spring I will sow them! And can't wait!!

-Teisa

o

Received seeds from mrs.b_in_wy today. Thank you so much!

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / N.Virginia (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 22:50

Hey,
missiblueridge received her milkweed seeds about a month ago.
Last chance for the others I adopted to contact me before I move on to the other newbies....if you still want them let me know...thanks

o

Sat, Dec 14, 13 at 9:19

I think I got all the updates. Let me know if I missed anyone!

o

I still have not heard from Duchessof 8939 from my first posting. Lorabell, yeli0507, Teisa, and blossombrigade have received theirs.

Since I still have seeds, I can adopt kcpavlik, PepperfromMI, Brizee77, plant-one-on-me.

My milkweed seeds are only good thru Zone 9. I can't help the Zone 10 people.

o

kcpavlik, you don't have an email link. Email me with your address and I will send you seeds. Click on "my page"

o

Yipee, I got adopted. I can't wait to get these started this summer. Next year I'll have to share some with others as well :)

o

I'd like to adopt plant-one-on-me. I've sent an email and will wait for a reply.

Martha

o

Thanks for the welcome KCHD and for adding me to the newbie list! I'm looking forward to be adopted. Happy holidays, all. - Michelle

o

Can I adopt PepperfromMI, also. I didn't catch the post first time thru. I'd adopt kcpavlik, too, but couldn't see how to email him/her.

Martha

o

Docmom, I got your email (I responded to it, but it seems that you may not have received it), thanks for your offer but dem_pa has already kindly adopted me. Thanks anyway, there are just so many generous people here!

o

I have been adopted by Martha/docmom and hope she received my email.

I also heard from dem-pa but he already sent me a lovely secret santa card so I asked him to pass it along to someone else. I really do appreciate the offer and will be planting your seeds for sure this summer. Thanks so Much Kim

o

I need some information to help me reach ( Shannon.S zone 10 FL ) so I can adopt her. I have some Tropical Milkweed available. Email me, please. Jen

o

Thank you, Jen/jensyen for adopting me!! :)

o

Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 15:20

Ok, time to update this thread :)
I have been out of town here and there, and will be out of town again this weekend for 2 weeks. I will try to update as I can.

dem_pa, your offer to adopt more folks sounds great. I will mark you down as adopting all of those you indicated, and also update the status of your previous adoptees.

docmom/Martha, dem_pa has scooped up a lot of the newbies. I just updated the list. Do you want to re-visit and adopt someone else?

jensyen, thank you for adopting Shannon.S!

Hopefully kcpavlik will re-visit the thread so we can get in touch. Otherwise, I might as well remove them from the list of newbies is nobody can get in touch with them.

o

MLPTurner/Michelle, I sent you an email to adopt you. Happy Holidays,
Jen

o

I'll be sowing the milkweeds as well as many others tomorrow during the winter solstice...which will consist of tossing handfuls of seeds in various locations around the yard and stepping on them to push them into the ground. Hey, it works! :)

o

I received my seeds this morning from dem_pa. Thanks so much to him and to all of you for being so generous. I can't wait to sow!

o

Thank you to Jen/jensyen for adopting me. Happy holidays, all!

o

Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 10:29

Pertinent reading for all of us engaged in this thread.

Setting the Table for a Regal Butterfly Comeback, With Milkweed
The New York Times
December 20, 2013

Here is a link that might be useful: NYT article: Save the Monarchs, Plant Milkweed

o

KCHD - that's interesting that the article notes that the old Gulf Oil/Marathon Refinery in Cleves, OH is planting milkweeds. I drive by there a couple times a month and there are always deer, turkey, and other wildlife roaming freely within the fences. I know they mow it once or twice a year but for as hazardous as that place was/is, I'm glad someone thought to try to reestablish some native forbs to revitalize a barren wasteland.

o

I have a small portion of A. curassavica seeds that I would like to trade for A. incarnata or perhaps even some heirloom veggies or herbs. The tropical variety is absolutely gorgeous but I've read too many articles and posts regarding the negative effects of growing non-native varieties of milkweed; i.e. the bloom season is longer and therefore encourages the monarchs to stay in the area well past the time they should begin their migration.

***I would really prefer that these go to someone in at least zone 7, 8 or greater (I'm in 6).

Please email me at ajd1221@live.com (emailing me through GW only seems to work about half the time).

o

Nebraska lobbied the Union Pacific to plant native species along the many miles of tracks and they do. I'm not sure if milkweed is part of their seed choice.
I know the legislation to eliminate "weeds" has caused many native species to be reduced or eliminated. As well, a by-product of using so many chemicals on the land has killed so much.
Nebraska also has Interstate 80 that runs east-west. I think it would be great to plant the areas near the onramps and offramps with natives. Let's take the money we spend mowing these areas and plant native species. It would brighten our road system to see flowers in bloom, not to mention all the nature value it would add.
Heidi

o

Planting next to busy interstates kind of worries me. I wonder how much good it would actually do to lure in monarchs (and other bees and butterflies) so close to motor vehicles travelling at 55 mph and up. Then again, perhaps it's better than nothing?

I would like to see more local governments and organizations take an interest in planting natives (i.e. milkweeds). They produce attractive flowers, interesting seed pods, and require very little care aka $$$. Admin buildings, libraries, schools, churches, police and fire depts., and so on could all create naturalized areas on their grounds.

o

NKUS... Great idea!... more local governments and organizations take an interest in planting natives (i.e. milkweeds).

o

Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 13:02

Our local government is doing exactly that, a trial run and it is working out nicely. I hope it continues to expand.

http://msucares.com/news/print/fwnews/fw11/110630.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Roadside natives

o

Hello--

If it is not too late -- I would love to be adopted!

I live in New Jersey, zone 6. I prefer white/pastels, if possible, but would appreciate any color. :)

Thank you in advance.

Purl

o

I've not heard back from beth4652 or MrsHolland.

I'll ask JerseyPurl if she'd like A. incarnata and post whether the adoption is a go or not.

o

I received my milkweed seeds from jensyen today. Thanks so much for starting off my butterfly garden! :) I hope I can help them out down here in FL.

o

JerseyPurl is officially adopted :)

o

I'd be interested in creating a butterfly garden for a school in Zone 10a. Thank you for all your help!

o

Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 9:29

Hi folks!
I've been away for the holidays but headed home today. I will update this thread as soon as I have access to a computer again.

Welcome newbies!

Stay warm, y'all!

o

Hi! I'm from NC and would love to help out here! Zone 7b.

o

Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 21:44

Welcome, newbies! I've added JerseyPurl and nicole_13 to the newbie list.

Thank you, mrs.b_in_wy for adopting yet another newbie!

jsunbox, please let us know your state and I will add you to the newbie list.

o

....This is amazing.

I would also like to join this, but first I need to just take a moment to be in awe by everyone coming together to do this.

A short story

I've rented the past 10 or so years, moved every year, and mostly in apartments that didn't provide me with much space to garden--didn't stop me from trying to grow watermelons on my balcony!

Anyways, so I'm in a rental house now--about to move into my first home in a month or so and plan to have an extensive garden.

This past summer, I had a lemon tree in a pot I've had for awhile and noticed a butterfly--I believe a yellow tiger striped one hang around it a lot.. I have the tree just outside my window and I took pictures of the guy, I thought he was pretty fantastic.

A few weeks later, I noticed some of the leaves on my tree being eaten up and was worried--found the caterpillar causing it and killed it without a second thought as I was doing so to horn-worms on my tomato plants.

It wasn't until after I had snipped a several of them in half..that I realized, they were--which of course all catterpillars are--that butterfly's offspring.

I can't really describe why I felt so awful. I had been trying really hard that year to provide flowers for butterflys and bee's alike and I killed those catterpillars without a second thought. After this, I was careful to not harm the remaining ones that emerged and even began to read a lot on here infact--back last summer--about butterflys in general and beneficial insects which I'd never given extensive thought to. Such as the ladybirds I killed with pesticides while trying to help my cucumber plant without thinking.

This year I'm going to be companion planting butterfly and bee friendly flowers throughout my raised bed gardens, as well as have a little dedicated humming bird/butterfly/bee garden. I think the above experience has helped me think of gardening in a whole new light, not just about me but the benefit my garden can be to others--human and not.

I would love the opportunity to help participate in this.

The picture I've included as of one of the caterpillars I didn't kill after I made the connection, and did my best to not harm him or his friends. I have a vlog/blog about my gardening, and this year I plan to more heavily photograph and document my experiences and lessons learned.

Thank you guys for all the wonderful things you do :)

My name is Christina, and I live in Arlington Texas. I've not really pushed for any exchanges before, but this year I'm more interested in getting involved and once I get my feet under me want to be one of the ones giving more than taking.

This post was edited by Syntria on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 22:55

o

Seeds are in the mail to JerseyPurl.

I'll ask nicole_13 and Syntria if they'd like seeds of A. incarnata. (It looks like Arlington, TX is 8a, so it should be OK there. Sorry I can't help with jsunbox in 10a.)

o

Goin4green, Zone 6, Tn

o

I live in Southern California Zone 10a.

o

jsunbox - I have A. curassavica (tropical milkweed) that should do very well in your zone and produces absolutely gorgeous flowers! I only have a dozen-ish seeds though but they should be enough to get you started.

*I'd hang on to them but their blooms last too long for my area (zone 6) and encourage monarchs to hang around instead of moving south for the winter.

Syntria - that is an absolutely strange (and beautiful) looking caterpillar! Looks like a Giant Swallowtail, right?

All - I'm still looking for A. incarnata seeds if anyone has a few to spare.

This post was edited by NKUSigEp on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 8:37

o

Hi, would love to be adopted & grow some milkweed for the monarchs, this could also be useful while participating in citizen science projects w/ my kids!
Our state is Florida , zone 9
Thanks! :-)
TumblingTomatoes

o

Syntria and nicole_13 are officially adopted :)

o

Thank you NKUSigEp for the offer. I would like the seeds. What do I next?

o

jsunbox - email me at ajd1221@live.com and we can work out details.

o

Hey, n00b up for adoption in Overland Park, KS area. Zone 5b/6a. Thanks folks

o

Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 19:28

Looks like I need to get caught up on updating this thread. I’m also going to re-visit those newbies on the list who have not responded to their adopters.

Syntria / Christina, welcome! And thanks for sharing your fantastic story and posting that great photo of one of your caterpillars. Based on your story, the photo, and the host plant, NKUSigEp is right. What you’ve got there is a Giant Swallowtail (not a tiger swallowtail)! Giant swallowtail will use citrus as host plants. For those of you who don’t know, those red ‘antenna’ are actually called osmeteria which are displayed in response to perceived threats. Other species of swallowtails will display them, too.

mrs.b_in_wy and NKUSigEp, thank you for continuing to adopt even more newbies! You two rock!

goin4green, jsunbox, tumblingtomatoes, and jayhawkfan56: Welcome! I will add you to the list of Newbies to be adopted.

o

Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 19:36

goin4green, there is no way to email you on your Member Page. Until you get that fixed, I will wait to add you to the list of Newbies to be Adopted. Please let us know your status when it is fixed.

thanks!

o

Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 19:55

...and now for some housekeeping:

I will only be checking up on the status of adoptions # 1 - 50 which are not yet complete.

If I could get updates from either the adopter or the adoptee for the following folks, that would be great! Just post an update to this thread. Otherwise, I will start the daunting task of emailing individuals.

4. amber_m, zone 5, NY -- adopted by xiangirl -- address needed
9. Dani0025, zone 4, NY -- adopted by xiangirl
10. craftie2, zone 8a, state???? -- adopted by domehome
12. jkelley393, zone 8a, SC -- adopted by poisondartfrog
14. aquadragonfly, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by cghpnd
15. djune, zone 8, TX -- adopted by nel.nuciferator
16. ladyrose, zone 6b, NJ -- adopted by wildflowerman
18. kmaries139, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar
24. GMOFREEGUY, zone ?, n.CA -- adopted by domehome -- seeds sent
27. Itzybitzy, zone 7b, NC -- adopted by wildflowerman2000
28. andbowen, zone 7b/8a, TX -- adopted by kchd
31. michi81, zone 7, NC -- adopted by terenne
32. beth4652, zone 7, GA -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy
34. MrsHolland, zone 7, NC -- adopted by mrs.b_in_wy
36. swimbikerun, zone 5b, MI -- adopted by xiangirl
38. Duchessof8939, zone 6, TN -- adopted by dem_pa
41. clipclop, zone 8a, GA -- adopted by dem_pa
44. Shannon.S, zone 10, FL -- adopted by jensyen
46. MLPTurner, zone 10, CA -- adopted by jensyen
47. kcpavlik, zone 5b, IL -- adopted by dem_pa
49. Brizee77, zone 6/7, TN -- adopted by dem_pa
50. plant-one-on-me, zone 6a, MI -- adopted by docmom

o

• Posted by cghpnd 7 / N.Virginia (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 20:46

Good luck on the housekeeping. I need catch up on mine too.

I've sent aqua an e-mail the last time I posted on this thread. Ill send another one right now.
Aqua if your seeing this and haven't received any of my emails can u pretty please let me know! Thanks a bunch.
I still have seeds in the fridge with your name all over them.:-)

This post was edited by cghpnd on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 15:33

o

Sent a follow-up message to beth4652.
Sent one to MrsHolland and got the same message about delivery failure.

But I do have a real update: Syntria went seed shopping and found seeds for A. tuberosa, lol. I think it's OK to mark her as complete - or maybe something like "self-completed" would work :)

This post was edited by mrs.b_in_wy on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 10:37

o

Another update: MrsHolland received the message and responded that she would like to be adopted. Awaiting her stamps. Thank you kchd for keeping this up!

o

Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 23:18

oh, cghpnd... not that kind of housekeeping! EWW!

Thanks to those who have let me know your updates :) I'm in the middle of updating the status of the list of Newbies to be Adopted.

Katie

o

I'm sorry for my delayed reply! We've been on vacation. I received the seeds from Jen/jensyen - thank you so much, Jen, and everyone who makes this gift giving possible! Best wishes for a wonderful 2014.
Michelle

o
re: want to adopt a milkweed newbie - part 3

was wondering if there were any milkweed seeds left that need an adopter i would love to have some here in nh
thanks
katrina

o

Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 10:11

Good to hear from you, Michelle! Thanks for updating us and best of luck with your milkweed & butterfly garden this year.

Welcome, Katrina. I will add you to the list of newbies.

o

thanks cant wait!!

o

I received my seeds from Mrs. B --- thank you!!!

I can't wait to start my butterfly garden :D

Thanks again!

Purl

o

The Garden of Worker Bees, a Community Garden, will open for our second season in March. This year will be partnering with 4H. I would love to be adopted as this would be a great teaching and learning experience for our gardeners.

Thank you so much.

o

I have been following these threads with interest for quite a while now and could not decide if I should post or not. I finally figured I may as well just do it.

In my area I have seen an absolute crash in Monarch populations in the last decade. Very few are observed now during the summer season. Every fall during the migration I used to see thousands of them massing on tree branches for the night, and they would be back on their way in the morning. Now I am lucky to see maybe 50. Quite frankly I find this to be a despicable state of affairs and a sad commentary regarding our poor stewardship of this planet.

As a child I was taught by my father to leave milkweed plants alone as he knew of their value and explained it to me. Ever since I have always left them alone where they volunteer in the wildy places on the property, but now I would like to take a more proactive approach by intentionally seeding them in more prominent locations in group plantings, as well as reestablishing a more diverse population of varieties that may have been native for my area but are now so uncommon that they could be considered extinct in the wild around here.

I do not know that I should ask to be adopted because I always have a few Asclepias syriaca common milkweed growing on site and I will harvest seed for myself when that time comes (as well as offer some in support of this effort if it is needed). If I may request, what I would appreciate is access to some seeds for less common varieties that perhaps used to be native to Minnesota or will grow in my zone 4b. I have had zero success over the years with Asclepias tuberosa but I am willing to try again if someone could give me some good advice on how to succeed with them.

So where this stands is I am requesting to be adopted but I completely understand if I do not qualify. People who do not have access to any seed should take priority in this effort.

Thanks,
-Tom

o

Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 16:03

Thanks so much for stopping by and letting us know you received your seeds, Purl! Hope you get monarch 'pillars in years to come.

Welcome, amarilys.olivo. I will add you to the newbie list.

Tom, I enjoyed reading your post so much that I'm going to snatch you up and send you some seeds of less common species, newbie or no. Email to follow!

Katie

o

does anyone have some for me to adopt yet anxiouse i need to plant soon so it will grow here
katrina

o

I just re-emailed Plant One On Me. If I don't hear from him/her in a week, I'll send the seeds to someone else. I'm going to email the newbie from Kansas and see if they'd like me to adopt them.

Martha

o

Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 17:32

amarilys.olivo, we need to know your state. Please let us know and I will add you.

Thanks!

o

I just did a little "de-fluffing" of milkweed seeds. Though I'm waiting either for contact or for postage from some people, it looks like it's safe to put some more packs of Asclepias incarnata up for adoption. I'll send messages to tumblingtomatoes and katsgarden2012 and post back.

o

sent email one came back and just send another yes can send sase if thats ok??

o

That will be great Kristina. Sent you a reply. Happy gardening!

o

I mailed some A. curassavica seeds out to jimsun in CA this week. Should be there in a few days.

o

Growing up amidst the farms of central Ohio, milkweed was commonplace. Since I left there, not so much. I finally have my dream property --- three acres just NW of Atlanta. We are trying to garden for all sorts of wildlife, and I would love to be adopted for the Monarch's sake.

o

Hello beth4652. I have been trying to contact you to see if you would like to be adopted. My messages must not be going through to you. If you read this, please send me an e-mail. Thanks!

o

Is this still available? I have volunteered to supply my daughter's pre-school garden with California native flowers. Reading on milkweed and butterflies on GW, I have decided to add milkweed to the plant list for the preschool and also my garden at home.

Iam in Zone 10, California.
Thank you!
ZoeMom

o

I would love milkweed!

pricklypearfect@gmail.com

In West Texas, swaying between zones 7 & 8 depending upon the winters.

o

It's interesting. 4x9=36.
#4, #9 and #36 never responded with addresses that they wanted milkweed seeds. It deflated me quite a bit so I quit volunteering to adopt, but hey, that's the way the world works.
However, if jayhawkfan from Kansas would accept seeds from a Husker, I still have quite a few milkweed seeds-about 6 packets!
xiangirl
Heidi in Nebraska

kchd--Did you ever dream you'd have this many thread updates? It's like World Hunger for Butterflies except you don't have to have a board of directors and lots of meetings! You are visionary!

o

I would like to be added to the list as well.

Maine zone 4
ctufts2013@gmail.com

o

Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 20:24

mrs.b_in_wy, you are a milkweed seed maniac! LOL
I will put you down for adopting tumblingtomatoes, katsgarden2012, and beth4652.

NKUSigEp, thank you for the update on jimsun! Please keep us posted on when those seeds arrive.

Welcome, beth4652. Congrats on your dream property! Isn’t it exciting?! I will put you on the adoption list, and list mrs.b_in_wy.

Welcome ZoeMom. Yes, we are still active and I would be delighted to add you to the list of newbies to be adopted. I hope those children are able to witness the fascinating life of monarchs for themselves in their native flower garden (and your garden at home, too!). I am hoping someone has some Asclepias species native to CA to send you. I’m a die-hard native fan, too, but being in MS, my species are completely different from yours.

Welcome, mamaof2dd! Putting you on the list. How far west in TX? You might just get hoards of monarchs coming through your area.

Heidi, nice to have you drop by. Why, no, I never dreamed this thread would get so much activity. I don’t know how much difference this joint effort will make, but every garden counts! 4x9=36… so peculiar! Ha! Let us know if you get in touch with jayhawkfan. Surely they won’t mind milkweed seeds from a Husker ;)

o

Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 20:42

Welcome, flowersnhens! Something tells me that you have some cluckers... LOL! I'm adding you to the list.

o

Haha kchd :) I believe the beth4652 #30 and #55 are the same person, but I can't get an e-mail message to go through. I can sure understand how Heidi feels (and some of my favorite flowers came from Heidi's seeds, lol). Gosh, I'd really like to home these milkweed seeds!

o

I'm looking to be adopted! I had no idea about milkweed and the Monarchs, both are so pretty and I'd love to have them in my garden. I don't have any particular species in mind. My zone is 8B, SE Texas.

Thanks,
~Viv

o

I'm looking to be adopted! I had no idea about milkweed and the Monarchs, both are so pretty and I'd love to have them in my garden. I don't have any particular species in mind. My zone is 8B, SE Texas.

Thanks,
~Viv

o

Thanks,
~Viv

o

I have contacted VivVarble. She agreed to be adopted. I will mail seeds to her on Monday.

o

• Posted by fatkats 7a south jersey (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 15:09

Hello, I am looking to be adopted. I am in S. Jersey and this area seems to be part of the migratory pattern for monarchs. Every year the monarchs visit the yard; last year (2013), not a single monarch. I am in zone 7a, and would love to help.

o

I can send A. tuberosa seeds to flowersnhens. Will send an email and ask if they are still needed.

o

Thank you NKUSigEp 6. I received the seeds. I planted some seeds indoors and some outdoors to diversify my odds of success. I'll update you when I seem some germination.

o

tumblingtomatoes agreed to be adopted.

o

flowersnhens agreed to being adopted and seeds were sent out.

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 10:57

Well, I see that this thread has gotten buried while I've been buried at work after being sick... Time to update the newbie list at the top!

Katie

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 11:09

Ok, there we go. All updated!

ndev0524, I know your adoption is already underway, but I am a little concerned about your Asclepias tuberosa seeds making it in flowersnhens' zone 4 of Maine. I only say this because others in zone 4 have had difficulty with theirs making through the winter, depending on their seed source. Any chance you know the original seed source or your plants?

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 11:25

For more info on conservation of the monarch, please visit the Xerces Society webpage. This conservation organization is a wealth of information.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Xerces Society - Monarchs

o

KCHD-Thank you for making this grass-roots effort happen.
I would like to be adopted and take part in helping the monarchs. I'm in zone 9a, northern California.

o

My trade with jimsun is complete - sent him some A. curassavica and got an email back saying he received them.

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 17:10

Hi there, NKUSigEp,
I'm a little bit confused. :)
I cannot find a post for 'jimsun' but I do have you down for jsunbox. Is this the same person?

o

Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 17:13

Hi there, artyfact. You are most welcome. And thank you for helping by planting milkweed!

o

kchd - yes, that's the one.

o

Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 19:00

ok, good! I had you down for that adoption being complete, NKUSigEp :)

o

I've sent out asclepias seeds to others too but I can't recall specific GW members. I ended up adopting my boss and the assistant manager as well! :)

I can't wait to see what blooms this year!

o

Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 21:24

NKUSigEp, if you need to refresh your memory, look all the way at the top of this thread to the list to see which newbies you adopted.

That's great news about 'adopting' your boss & asst. manager, hahaha! I love it.

I ordered some more milkweed seed from PMN to help get some of these newbies adopted; but, I did not order species that would be appropriate for those in California.

Katie

o

Hello, I have lots of fresh Asclepias curassavica seeds and several other types of Asclepias from trades too. Do Artyfact or ZoeMom need adopted?

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 23:08

Yes, Dee, that would be great! Please let us know if/when you get in touch.

o

Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 18:56

Yippee, my seed order arrived today. I will be emailing the following newbies to see if they still want to be adopted.
Newbies, please post to this thread if you don't get an email & we will work out getting in touch.

56. mamaof2dd, zone 7/8, w. TX
61. fatkats, zone 7a, south NJ

o

I emailed Artyfact and she will be sending me some stamps for several kinds of milkweed seeds. I contacted ZoeMom and haven't heard back yet.

o

Hello. I'm planting in zone 4 in Vermont and would love to put in a milkweed patch.

o

kchd,

The seeds were purchased from myseedneeds. Most websites I checked said they would survive down to zone three or four.

The seeds are already long gone, but hopefully the plants will survive the winter up in ME.

o

Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 18:39

fantastic, ndev0524. I think survival of A. tuberosa in the colder zones depends a lot on where the parent plants originate.

sullivann, welcome! I will put you on the list AND I will adopt you. Be looking for an email from me so you can send me some stamps for postage.

o

i would like some milkweed seeds:) whenever it's my turn i have a great place for them

o

Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 21:20

Hi there, leymayhugh! If you can let us know what state you are in, I will add you to the list of newbies to be adopted :)

Katie

o

Sending out milkweed seeds to Artyfact and ZoeMom today.
All packed up and ready for the Post Office.
I'll check back occasionally to see if any other zone 9ers need seeds. Here in CA I'm already planting milkweeds and have several types coming up. I still have some blooms on last years plants and saw a Monarch floating through yesterday!

o

I am interested in planted a good sized plot of milkweed. Here in Idaho the county "weed abatement" sprays the edges of the road, which is where I have seen milkweed. I now have the property posted "spray-free zone" Hope someone will adopt me and I can get started. Zone 4-5 Cheryl

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 21:53

Hi Cheryl,
Welcome! I will add you to the list of newbies.

DomeHome, thanks so much for the update!

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 21:57

For those of you who wish to read more about monarchs, their current status, and propagation of milkweeds, please check out this article. It is fantastic!

Monarchs (Danaus plexippus) and milkweeds (Asclepias
species): The current situation and methods for propagating milkweeds
by: Tara Luna and R Kasten Dumroese

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarchs and Milkweeds

o

• Posted by gin7 33155 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 23:08

i would love to help. by planting some seeds got non. someone please adopt me.

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 23:39

gin7, you have no zone listed, no state, and your email is not set up. Please fix this if you want to be adopted.
Thanks!

o

update:

18. kmaries139, zone 7, AR -- adopted by mary_littlerockar

I sent this person, kmaries139, a packet of several types of MW and other nectar seeds last fall as soon as she sent me her snail mail address. I've never heard a word from her since.

The other person I adopted was kind enough to let me know she did receive the package of seeds.

It is wonderful that this thread is still active.

Thank you, kchd, for all of your hard work.

Mary

o

Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 21:38

sullivann, I received your stamps today! I will put seeds in the mail for you on Monday.

o

Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 22:15

Mary, thanks so much for the update! So sorry to hear that one of the newbies you adopted were not gracious enough to let you know the seeds arrived safely.

In happy news, I read (in the publication I posted a link to on Feb. 20th) instructions for rooting Asclepias tuberosa cuttings. I did not realize that you could root cuttings of that species. I will have to try that with my super-red milkweed plant!

o

Sweetie, if you are still adopting out milkweeds. We live on this brilliant hobby farm in the Smokies and so far the only thing I can't grow are my nails.

o

Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:08

Welcome, CrazyCatMomma! I added you to the list of newbies!

o

Hi - is it OK if I get adopted, too?
I hesitated joining in since I have curassiva and thought that I would be disqualified as a "newbie"..
However, I just read that I shouldn't be growing the tropical milkweed and should grow the natives to Florida a. tuberosa, incarnata and perennis.

So maybe now I qualify . . . what do ya say? I'd like to make it up to my neighborhood butterflies!

Thanks
Susie

o

Hi All,

What a great idea! I have been looking for some Asclepia tuberosa (butterfly milkweed) around my area to collect some seeds, but haven't found any yet. I would LOVE to send postage and have someone send me some that they have already collected! I am in Zone 7, Eastern Shore of MD. Thanks!

o

Hi, I'd like to adopt vbgoold since I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, too. Vbgoold, send me an email with your mailing address and I will send you some seeds.. Jen

o

I'm so happy to have received all kinds of milkweed seeds from Dee, aka domehome! I can't wait to get them in the ground and start watching for the monarchs and for others who might benefit from this very kind communal effort! I hope to be back here after the season with seeds to pass on to other butterfly gardeners. Thank you Dee and everyone!
Diana

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 10:29

Hi all,
I will update the list of newbies shortly. In the meantime, I will adopt CrazyCatMomma.
Katie

o

I haven't heard from vbgoold yet. Don't know if she read my post. Should I send her an email?

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 12:41

Hi jensyen, yes I would go ahead and email them to initiate contact and arrange the details of the adoption.

o

I contacted vbgoold and the adoption is on.

This post was edited by jensyen on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 0:01

o

I have a package of seeds headed to vbgoold.

This post was edited by jensyen on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 23:55

o

Hi...I am a newbie and would like to plant milkweed. I'm in Zone 5, Ohio.

o

Hi, I am new to planting "milkweed" and would appreciate being adopted for the milkweed planting, zone 6b, IL.

o

I'm a milkweed newbie, if anyone can spare some seed. :)
Emily

o

Just wanted to post to say my milkweed and flower seeds have arrived. I'm psyched to put in a monarch bed, breeding ground/refuge/buffet. Thank you Katie.

o

A milkweed newbie. Would like something native to Southern New Jersey or zone 7. Thank you in advance.

o

I'm a milkweed newbie as well. I just found A. tuberosa seeds for sale in my area, but am looking for A. physocarpa, if anyone has any to spare.

Thanks.
Nancy

o

Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 18:51

Please join us for the continuation of this thread on the
Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - part 4 thread.

I will be posting updates to the List of Newbies there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt a Milkweed Newbie - Part 4

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 18:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here