Return to the Seed Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: oaks!!!! esp. hybrids

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 12:36

Looking for hybrid oaks! Any of them that would grow in a humid zone 7 climate. It's getting a bit late for acorns but if you still have some viable ones let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: oaks!!!! esp. hybrids

I doubt if hybrid seeds would come true.

Here is a link that might be useful: For updating your Exchange Page

o

Chemocurl,

Hairmetal4ever isn't trying to duplicate a cultivar! Many oak nothospecies ("hybrids") are commonly sought after for specific characteristics. And, of course, most oak trees are actually hybrids anyway. Most "pure species" oaks are in areas where they are unusually isolated from other quercus species for some reason.

o

There are still nice acorns on the ground here in CA and I'm happy to grab some for you. There is a combination of Valley, Cork, Coast Live, Blue, Pin, and Black on my property and they all grown within close proximity to each other so hybridization is undoubtedly taking place naturally. Shoot me a message if you're interested.

o

Anyone got anything this fall in this regard?

hattichranch, appreciate (last year's) offer - but I don't think any of the CA/West Coast oaks would be all that happy here in humid Maryland with our zone 7 winters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Seed Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here