Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aggressive Rooster?

Posted by sunfluer gmt -5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 14:54

We a small flock, one rooster, 13 hens. We got them last year as chicks. The chickens will be a year old in July. I've taken 2 as pets, the rooster and one hen. My rooster, Henry allowed me to pick him up. Lately, he pecks if I try to stroke his back or my pet hen. It's not a lot of pecks, just one or two. Is he becoming aggresive? Do I need to be concerned? I would like to pick him up but I'm a little hesitant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aggressive Rooster?

Roosters can get aggressive when they mature because they will naturally take ownership of the hens. Pecking a perceived predator is part of it. Be aware of where he is when you go into the pen and if he's behind you keep an eye out for him to come at you. Keep an eye on his spurs too, when they are grown he can use them like daggers and can do some damage if you can't get out of his way.

Birds don't really make very good pets, and I know a lot of people will disagree with that, but it goes against their nature. Hens want to be protected by a roo and roo wants to take care of the hens. Get a chair and go out and just watch them sometime for a couple hours and you'll see what I mean.

Roo watches the sky and if he sees anything that looks like a predator bird he'll make a certain sound that tells the hens to run and hide. If he finds food on the ground he will pick it up and put it down several times and make a certain sound that tells the hens that this is good food, come and get it. Your roo is in charge and he wants you to know it. Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here