Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccox_gw

Gotta brag!

ccox
19 years ago

My daughter and I entered our town's Founder's Day pie contest. She won first in the Jr. Division for a Raspberry Rhubarb pie and I won first with a good old apple pie.

Had to brag. DD (she's 10) made the whole pie all by herself except for rolling out the pie crust. She even crimped the edges herself.

Take care,

Carla

Comments (8)

• TriElysian
    19 years ago

Congrats to both of you!!!!!!!

Would you like to share the recipes with us, I am always up for new desserts. I envy you, for some reason I cannot make good crust it never turns out right. The last pie I made was the most beautiful peach pie you have ever seen. I went to cut it and the crust was like cement. I think it might have to do with being at sea level, cakes never rise more then 2 inches. But I keep trying.

Let your daughter know we think she did great!!!!!
    Peg

• mamacotti
    19 years ago

Carla! That's great! Congratulations to both of you!

What was the "Founder's Day" like? Maybe we could have gone there...

Suzie

And yes, please share the recipes!

• ccox
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Suzie, Founder's Day is just a small town fair. Lots of great BBQ (cook-off), an opening parade, arts/crafts booths, expensive carnival and two stages with music all day/evening. My favorite thing about it is seeing people you know. It really feels like small town. Unfortunately, we're just 10 miles west of Austin, and those "dang city people" are moving our way in droves. I was one of those city people just 5 years ago, but I LOVE my small town. I wish I could close a gate across Hwy. 290 with a big "You can visit, but just don't move here" sign across it.
    How did your weekend go? Did y'all bring home any livestock?
    Did you see in "Journal" that Tracy's husband lost his job?!

Recipes:

We decided on the Raspberry/Rhubarb because something like apple would have been too labor intensive.
    It was very simple.
    CRUST
    3 cups flour
    1 cup Crisco
    1T. sugar
    1 t. salt
    7-9 T. of ice water

The trick with pie crust is to not overwork it. I use a pastry cutter to cut the crisco into the flour/sugar/salt. Then put about 7 T. of water in the mix and push it together with a fork. Then add the other 2 T. of water if needed. Push all the crumbs into the dough and give it about 2 good squishes to make it into a ball. Cut the ball in half, cover each half in sarah wrap and put in fridge for at least an hour.
    Roll out and place "bottom" of pie crust in pie plate before you mix your filling.

FILLING

5 cups frozen Raspberries (thawed/room temp.)
    2 cups frozen Rhubarb (thawed/room temp.)
    1/4 flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 t. almond extract (or vanilla)
    several dollops of butter (optional)

OR

6 cups Granny Smith Apples (sliced thin)
    1 heaping Tablespoon flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    several dollops of butter

Gently mix all of it together. Pour into pie shell. Add top pie crust, cut slits in the top crust to vent and bake at 375 degrees for about an hour. I have to cover my crust with foil about half way through the baking time to keep it from getting too brown.

My main hint is to roll the crusts out between sheets of saran wrap. It keeps the dough from picking up any extra flour (it's not needed) and it's really easy to pick up and transfer to the pie plate.

• mamacotti
    19 years ago

Yum-mee! Sounds great.

Yeah, but Tracy's situation turned out all for the best!

We had a WONDERFUL weekend! Wallis, Bellville, Fayettville, several places (bathrooms!)in-between, Austin, then Wimberly. Dang, Texas is big!!! I got so tired of driving (riding). Then there's Steve wanting to take me on all these "romantic, scenic back roads". You understand, those were NOT where the shops were. Unfortunately we were nearly in Austin before I caught on to his tricks!

We stayed in a fantastic 1840's log cabin B&B on a ranch in Kyle. I'd never even heard of Kyle! Way too much fun...collected lots of rocks from the Blanco river bed to build our firepit at the farm...the cows came by the cabin to visit on their way to and from the barn...just fantastic!

And now, the beginning of a new decade. I think I want to be the boss of this one...

Suzie

• erinluchsinger
    19 years ago

I'm so mad at you right now. I have a HUGE sweet tooth at the moment and there isn't a sweet thing in the whole house to be had. And I LOVE rhubarb. definately my fav. when it comes to a pie. Raspberry or blackberry is my second. So that pie sounds fab.
    I never make crusts b/c my mother is so good at it. Actually, my aunt makes a better crust than mom, but mom's "Guts" are better. I've always told them if they go together they could run a pie shop.
    Oh, dam% you.
    Erin

• basilmom
    18 years ago

Awesome! I just picked our rhubarb today :) I don't have any raspberries yet...wonder if I could freeze the rhubarb?

I can't wait to try both the recipes!

• ccox
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tracy,
    I used frozen rhubarb (we can't grow it in the south), so I'm sure you can freeze yours. I know folks in the north often wish the rhubarb would go away---they say it behaves like a weed and will take over. I want to grow some because it holds such wonderful memories for me. My grandparents (North Dakota)always had some and would make "Rhubarb Slop". It was usually just rhubarb cooked with sugar. Sometimes berries were added. What kills me is that your 'weed' goes for about $6.00 a pound down here if I want it fresh.
    Enjoy your rhubarb and eat some for me.
    Take care,
    Carla

• erinluchsinger
    18 years ago

My aunt just gave me a whole bunch of rhubarb (like 4 lbs. or so). I said no at first and she complained that she can't give the stuff away. So, I took it and plan to make "slop" tonight. I call is Rhubarb Sauce, but "slop" is a very good term for it. She had made a rhubarb pie (she's the one with the best crust), and I had a piece for lunch! Fabulous. Although little Oliver didn't think so. I gave him a bite and he made an AWFUL face and quickly spit it out!
    His loss is definately my gain!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County