Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My pekin duck laid eggs; her mate was killed 2+ months ago

Posted by mrsh FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 14:38

2 tame Pekin ducks wandered off the lake and into my yard around 2 months ago. The drake was killed most likely by a gator. His mate has stayed and within the last week has laid 11 eggs in a nest. Any chance that they could have been fertilized prior to his being killed?

She has a pinkish beak and extensive red, raised flesh from the end of her beak where it attached to her face and extends up and around her eyes. This red has increased in size within the past few weeks. Is this a sign of her maturing?

How can I check an egg to see if it was fertilized?

Thank you for your help to a novice duck owner.

Claudia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My pekin duck laid eggs; her mate was killed 2+ months ago

Claudia, by now you probably already know this, but it sounds like what you have are not Pekin ducks, but Muscovy ducks.

Also, they will only lay...no more than once a day, if that. So, no way could she have laid 11 eggs in the last week. Are you CERTAIN the other duck was a drake? If it was, you can bet they are fertile. Is she sitting on them? Pekins usually won't bother laying in a nest. The eggs are more like an inconvience to them, I think. Mine would leave them on the edge of the pond! Never once found two of her eggstogether.

Muscovies are good mothers...:)

Suzie

o
RE: My pekin duck laid eggs; her mate was killed 2+ months ago

Many things eat ducks my Pekin was killed by a bobcat while I was in the yard. I screamed chased it and it wouldnt let go.
I do not even live in the boonies but the development is allowing these animals to get use to humans. My friend has a picture of one sitting on his porch!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here