Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can i feed budgie food to chickens???

Posted by kay-chan (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 2, 09 at 3:10

I was wondering if i could feed some budgie snacks to chicks, like those millet treats?? Plus when can i start changing my chicks diet? I have 3 chicks, one looks about a month old or older (sorry not sure), the 2nd one looks about 3 1/2 wks old and the 3rd one looks about 3 wks old. Though the youngest one cant really eat dry starter only when its wet and mushy. Plus can i use baby powder for calcium or those parrot baby powder calcuim you can get in the pet store? @_@ ^_^

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can i feed budgie food to chickens???

If your chicks are on starter mix, the bag will tell you when to change to layer mix (assuming you have hens!). I think it is at about 17 weeks, if memory serves. You shouldn't need to supplement calcium--there is enough of everything they need in the starter mix.
If you want to give them treats make sure you give them small bits of fruit like grapes, or vegetables like squash. Don't give them anything too hard, or long which can lead to crop problems.
Just keep their area clean, make sure they have plenty of fresh water, and feed them an approved starter mix (I use the brand with the checkerboard). You are doing fine, and if you need a true expert's advice, ask Velvet Sparrow at her website. She is the authority on poultry!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here