Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamacotti_gw

Wearing fur...

mamacotti
19 years ago

Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different opinions are on wearing fur...not trying to start anything here, just polling! It's a discussion that has come up around here a bit lately...

So, your thoughts? Do any of you have, or would you wear mink, fox, beaver, etc? Or your wives?

I'll be the first one to say...heck, yeah! I would, I think...

Suzie

Comments (17)

• emluchsinger
    19 years ago

I would. I don't, but I would. I especially like shaved beaver. My great aunt owns a fur shop in Skaneateles (a very small touristy town near Syracuse). It's just so soft. And it's not obnoxious looking. It's actually quite beautiful. But soft.
    And my father has an on going fight with beavers. So it definately would not bother me.
    Don't really like the looks of the rest, so it's not even an issue.

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

Tough question.

I'd probably wear fur from animals that were humanely farm-raised and slaughtered. I'd never wear fur from wild animals that were leg-hold trapped.

And I'd choose a coat made from the pelts one or two large animals, such as sheep, over a coat that required the death of many smaller animals, such as minks or chinchillas.

Splitting lots of ethical hairs here, I know. I never wear it anyway, can't afford it.

• Dibbit
    19 years ago

I would definitely wear the large animal pelts, such as sheep - I would DEARLY love to have a Karakul (curly lamb) coat, even though I have heard that the curliest pelts are from newborn lambs, which isn't so "warm and fuzzy" making. But then, I will eat duckling or farm-raised veal, so consistent, I am not!!

I agree that I would be happier with a farm-raised fur anything (coat, stole, whatever) as against a live trapped anything. BUT, for animals like nutria and now beaver, which were or have been introduced or re-introduced (the nutria in Louisiana, and the beaver in many places, esp. New England), and are now major nuisances, I would be willing to wear a coat from skins from one of them, no problem!! AS LONG AS they were trapped in a humane, rapid-kill fashion, and how can you tell that for sure, so it's a dilemma. I guess my answer would have to be a qualified, "yes, I would".

• Joylene
    19 years ago

Years ago when wearing/owning furs was very unfashionable there were lots of very nice fur coats in the second-hand clothing stores. I managed to find a few very nice ones for not very much money at all. I like them for the feel of them and they are very warm too. Unfortunately, I don't have the occasion to wear them all that often. Maybe they would make a good coat to wear out on the tractor! Joylene

• emluchsinger
    19 years ago

I knew of a woman that went to thrift stores and bought fur coats and made them into teddy bears! Infact I have one! My mother had a very old rabbit coat that was given to her and just sat in her closet. Had it turned into a teddy bear. Very cute.
    And sooo soft.

• Jamie_in_Missouri
    19 years ago

I know my wife would wear one if I were to buy it for her.

My mom has an incrediable coyote fur coat with white mink trim that I think the family will be fighting over when she dies. She also has a mink lined bomber jacket and a few others my dad has gotten her over the years.

This last weekend for some reason she gave my daughter a red fox coat that I know my dad had bought years ago for over 1K. My daughter is in heaven with it. She is an animal lover but don't mind it a bit. She however even though a tomboy to some extent likes nice things. A couple of weeks ago I heard her ask her brother who a girls best friend was? He said replied a cat. She said no, it's diamonds!

Jamie

• emluchsinger
    19 years ago

Smart little boy he is... but he'll be date less in a few years!
    Jamie you're in for a long road to hoe!

• Rose_Qld
    19 years ago

Yes, to keep warm, if it was harvested according to fair rules. Fur's not my look though, and keeping that warm is an alien concept here in the tropics.
    My mother's old fox, complete with front paws, turned up in vegetarian DD's cupboard; she was mortified! I stupidly accepted my DS's offer of her rabbit skin coat to take OS in '79; it was a 1/2 size too small and wouldn't fit in the bag. I carried the dam thing all around Europe and the UK.
    And then there were the synthetic fur lined boots which I left sitting on a railway platform after all night on a crowded sitter when the friend banned me from taking them off even for a minute. Tyrant.
    Rose

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Fur isn't my style (don't really have a style since becoming a mom....*sigh*), but if I found something that appealed to me, I'd wear it. The chemicals used to create synthetic materials are more damaging to the planet than processing a fur or hide. I really take issue with anti-leather fanatics for that specific reason (leather is a by-productof the beef industry for the most part, and it would therefore be wasted if not turned into useful items like SHOES!).

Coincidentally, I just returned from an antique store a little while ago where there was a little girls fur coat. It was precious - I'm not in the position to buy something like that, but I would have bought it for dd if money were not an issue!

• CKC1586
    19 years ago

Whew, thank goodness you folks didn't disappoint me! I skipped abeat when I saw the subject line, I thought oh no not a PETA type tone and someone admonishing the use of fur!!! (Personaly I like the accronym People Eating Tasty Animals rather than the original).
    This is afterall FARM LIFE forum and I have enjoyed visiting this site and appreciate the realistic viewpoints. I do realize my city friends don't always understand the whole circle of life, we farm you eat, etc. and I try to be considerate of thier lack of understanding.
    All that being said, heck yes I would wear fur!!

• rmg521
    13 years ago

First, these posts have been the most responsible and thoughtful comments I have ever seen on the topic. My family is in the fur business -- thus I have happened upon many such forums threads, debating the merits of fur. It is refreshing to read your various comments, all reasonable and intelligent.

The fur criticisms I most take issue with are:
    FURS ARE WORN BY RICH LADIES JUST TO "SHOW OFF". I respond that maybe a reason for someone (man or woman) to wear a fur coat -- other than to fight the cold -- just might be to "dress up" rather than "show off." There is a distinction. I remember back in the 50's and 60's how my mother would dress beautifully with classy jewelry, nice shoes, a pretty dress and her mink coat. This was not because she wanted to show off, but because in those days it was EXPECTED to dress nicely in many situations. She loved and treasured that coat and kept it for many years. Do you remember how we used to dress for a show, or to travel, to attend church, or just for a party? Nowadays many of those occasions have given way to denims, fleece, and grunge. Not that it's totally a bad thing, but we really have forgone our sense of style as a society - and I mourn that loss.

The second argument that I object to is the phrasing "TORTURE OF INNOCENT ANIMALS".
    Without getting into a major dissertation, most North American and European fur farmers adopt strict adherence to their national veterinary society's standards for the raising and harvesting of their livestock. Plus more state agencies are now supervising the day to day operation of these farms. No fur farmer is dumb enough not to provide the best food and environment for the investment that will provide his livelihood. Not to deny that there are malpractices in fur farming elsewhere in the world, I only suggest that shoppers research and demand that the fur coat they consider is produced under humane standards. Finally don't get me started on the anti-fur "torture videos" one can find on YouTube and the like. Most are quite old, from different countries, and many filmed for the purpose of torturing animals on camera to promote their agenda. Very sad.

So mamacotti, yes we wear our furs, proudly and with much respect for the animals and the workmanship that made our coats. Whether you wear a vintage coat or a new one -- you're still wearing a fur. Your decision whether to do so is still the same. It's your call.

• treasurificgal
    11 years ago

I am a hunter education instructor and like to do things for myself. When we hunt, we use everything. Meaning, when I get a deer or coyote, the skin gets tanned. When I find a roadkilled fox, the skin gets tanned. It is a way of preserving the natural beauty of the animal. On our "farm" we aim to use everything we can to the best of our ability. Hell yes I would wear fur, or leather, for that matter. People that are against it for PETA or other personal reasons are the same people who will not pluck a chicken. So many people who are against wearing fur are also against hunting. Well, it's better to harvest a deer (if you are lucky enough) than to kill it with your car. So many are opposed to hunting or wearing fur for ethical reasons and don't consider that to not use the animal arbitrarily is wasteful. Fur is beautiful.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Fur is beautiful and warm. I like mink, fox, fitch, coyote.

• Sheryl Gallant
    9 years ago

Used to have a long fur coat. Bought it second hand cheap. I have also bought one at a thrift store and another one at a garage sale for $2.00 - real fur! Nothing is warmer than real fur. I have not found anything at any price synthetic that is as warm. I wore mine on the tractor :-) I also wore it on country walks in mid winter but I was in Ontario then. I used to sit on the porch in mid winter to have coffee in it and not be cold. It's amazing for warmth! Sold it at a garage sale. I wouldn't need it here in BC. It just doesn't get that cold. A real fur coat is fantastic in truly cold weather.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Sherylgallant, You still can wear fur in BC, get a short mink jacket. I wear mine when the temp drops below 40F, I am near Ontario.

• User
    7 years ago

I wish some of the fair-minded people who responded to this post would be able to answer mine about trapping a stubborn badger that refuses to respect my fence! I wouldn't wear fur,I think, but frankly, here in Italy,it really does look silly and out-of-place,kind of communicating "snobby rich old woman". My grandmother had a rather ugly fur coat which I took with me to college. In winter, my room got so cold ,even with tons of blankets,so I tried putting the coat on top of me, and it really DID keep me warm. So I think that in cold climates it does have a use. Also agree with basilmom that the use of it is probably a lot better for the environment than is the use of synthetics...