Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvet_sparrow

Penny Jar And Piggy Bank Donation Challenge For Tsunami Victims

velvet_sparrow
19 years ago

After spending more than half an hour slogging through the mud looking for one of our banty hens when we came up one short in the nightly beak count, I flopped in front of the TV and CNN for a bit to catch up on the latest. The hen, by the way, was in the coop the WHOLE TIME--hidden up in the rafters, the little snot! Forgive me if this is a duplicate thread, I checked for one like it but (to my surprise!) did not see one.

After watching yet another CNN report on the horrible events resulting from the recent tsunami, I tried to explain to my 5 year old daughter what was going on and how these people had lost EVERYTHING--home, family, food, toys--even their bed to sleep in--and asked if she would like to help them by donating some money. She just lit up and said "Yes!"

Tonight we emptied both of her piggy banks and the household penny jar into a big tub, which we will donate to the Red Cross. We'd like to challenge everyone else here to do the same thing--donate your household change. What you'll never miss can help save lives, and they need it right now. To make it really easy, Coinstar already has in place a 'Donate' feature on their machines that sends the money you put in their machines right to the charity of your choice. The only catch is that you have to make sure that the machine you are using has the 'Donate' feature, which you can check for in advance. Take a look at Coinstar's website and read all about it here:

http://www.coinstar.com/us/html/A2

Two of the charities on Coinstar's list that are assisting tsunami victims are the Red Cross and Unicef.

My daughter is very excited at the prospect of doing something and helping to save lives, and I'm thrilled that she is getting so much out of it, hopefully as the twig is bent so grows the tree.

OK everyone, break out those penny jars! :)

Comments (35)

• Frieda__IL
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our normally very self absorbed teenager is having a garage sale to raise money for her donation. Her 8 year old sister is pledging her whole piggy bank. DH and I have contributed to both the American Red Cross and Unicef. Every penny helps...

• ccox
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info about coinstar. I didn't know they had a donation feature. Do you know if they still take the standard percentage off the top before the donation?

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I wondered about that. too...they don't say one way or another on their website. I'll find out this afternoon when I go run my change through the coinstar machine. I hope Coinstar is big enough to forgo their cut when it comes to donations, though.

When I find out I'll post the answer here. :)

• woco
    19 years ago

It is really great that you are teaching your kids to help in time of a disaster.
    I do not want to come off being negative but, the US is donating $350 MILLION of your tax dollars for relief. Numerous other countries are also donating millions of $$$ to help. Why is it that America is expected to save the world when we do not even take care of our own people.
    How many Americans are homeless because of no skills, a disability, family problems, no jobs, and yes even from being lazy? I just wish that sometimes we would try to help Americans before we tried to save the rest of the world. They have allready called us stingy over this disaster and next week after we give the money to them they will be burning our flags. Take your kids money if they want to donate it and give it to a local charity, food-bank, house for battered women, or your local church that has childrens programs.
    Bill

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Yesterday we drove to Ft Wayne and gave what we could at the Sri Lankan Buddhist Temple where they are taking donations for the victims. It wasn't much, but dd (also 5) felt good about giving because she is aware of the tragedy. We also left a couple boxes of candles for the temple - they burn candles as they pray and do blessings...they'd be burning a lot of candles under these circumstances.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, we just returned from the local Stater Brothers market and Coinstar machine!

The good news: my five-year-old daughter, mostly out of her piggy banks and our family penny jar, has donated $96.38 to UNICEF!!!

The REALLY good news: Coinstar charges ZERO for a processing fee--they forgo their cut!

It only took a few minutes and was a really cool experience. :) My daughter got a big charge out of carrying the receipt out of the store.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Bill, I thoroughly can relate from where you are coming from. Just two weeks ago we donated my daughter's old crib/toddler bed & matteress to our local Headstart program that provided my daughter with preschool last year, and when the mom who needed it came to pick it up she actually grabbed me in a big bear hug. :) The battered women's shelter has always been similarly unfailingly charming and grateful for our donated goods.

We aren't well-off ourselves by any means, and since I'm disabled myself the Coinstar option really appealed to me in the sense of it being really easy, quick, and hassle-free. :) We also do what we can during the year to support local legitimate charities--ya gotta be really careful that you don't support scammers--but after seeing this on TV we all felt we could do a little extra...those people being left with no homes, no food, no water, no medicine and losing lots of their family members and friends as well in an instant was just too much...heart-wrenching. My moment came when I was struggling to explain to my daughter why the people were sitting in the street, what had happened...how these people had lost everything...and I saw a truly horrified look in her eyes.

That's when I knew we had to do more.

• mstrgrdnr
    19 years ago

This is indeed a terrible disaster. This is a time for anyone who can to give whatever they can.

I, too am frustrated that we have people in need in this country.

Unfortunately, this disaster does not compare equally to anything that is going on in this country. I will not get graphic here, but will point out that thousands of bodies in areas where people are trying to live and survive is not good. There will be thousands of deaths just from the disease factor alone. These people have no running water. They have no food. They have nothing. This just doesn't compare to anything here in the US and we have to help.

I am frustrated by the response of the Sri Lankan government though. When Israel put together their relief effort, Sri Lanka turned it down because it was coming from Jews. Now, you know, when your country is decimated, and your people are dead or hurting can't you put aside your silly preconceived notions and just take the help that is being offered?

These are indeed the same people who will be burning our flag and poking their fingers in our eyes when they get the chance again, but we must still help.

We have to help because we are a decent people.

Aubrey

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Bill, I hadn't read your post before I added mine. I wish I hadn't.

I don't even have words. Well, a couple...

WHO CARES what everyone says about us as Americans? Who cares what flags they will burn? And by the way...I've never heard of any Indian/Sri Lankan or S. Asian burning an American flag...you may be a bit confused simply because their skin color. I'm guessing you think these people deserved this disaster? I have a feeling you think these people are Muslim....and even if they were, WHO CARES?

It's the right thing to do, Bill. Helping people is the RIGHT thing to do. Ignoring race, color and religion in order to do the RIGHT thing, is the American way.

• Patriz
    19 years ago

Yesterday I took my sons into town to see different cultural events before the year ended. In Chinatown, we came upon a woman who had fallen on the sidewalk. Upon entering the Reading Terminal Market, we passed a homeless man sleeping against the outside wall. Inside the market was a collection box for the Tsunami victims. My nine year old asked why people slept on sidwalks and didn't have homes, why people were putting money into the box inside and not outside in the homeless man's cap, who were the people helping the fallen woman, etc...I told him that people need help in different ways, and as long as your heart stops somewhere to help, only then will the world will be a better place for everyone. He agreed.

• Frieda__IL
    19 years ago

I help as much as I can because they are my brothers and sisters in the human race... Politics and religion don't matter much to me.

• Pams
    19 years ago

Bill,
    I agree with you.....I don't like the idea of my children growing up and having to pay for our kindness. Each person should decide what to donate-not our government. I am heartbroke each time I see it on tv but am also tired of our country being "expected" to be kind. Just my 2 cents....

• TriElysian
    19 years ago

$350 million is not going to make or break this country. We are part of an international community. It is our responsibility to help. If it helps, think of your taxes as going towards upkeep in a national park and I will let my taxes go towards international relief. With devistation of this magnitude we should not be asking why not me first.

To teach our children values through giving and kindness is one of the true gifts we can give them. Americans expect to much. Mostly we take to much for granted.
    Peg

• newjerseybt
    19 years ago

Instead of having the usual box on our federal tax form
    which reads: Do you want to donate a dollar for some politician to get elected?

Why not have a box to check off to donate a dollar to
    the tsunami victims? That way every taxpayer in the USA
    can easily participate if they want to.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Well, I had a heated retort to Bill that involved ripping off his clothes, sleeping outside in rubble after tearing down his house because it's so much fun to 'camp out', frolicking with corpses for family, chickens, pigs and dog all dead and lost. How about going without food, water, or medical care for his traumatic injuries and losses for 5 days, but I'll hold back on that... Bill, sorry, you came off as very negative to me. I have no room in my thoughts for your whining about poor Americans.

I agree, giving is the important part. We live such a spoiled lifestyle here in the US, even our more disadvantaged citizens have more than many around the globe, certainly more than the victims of a natural disaster of this magnitude.

Bill, I'm not sending you a present for your birthday, but I will continue to donate generously to the Red Cross and other relief organizations hoping and praying that there are others who feel the same compassion as I do when I see someone in need. Who knows: if a big quake, flood, fire or pestilence hits Utah you might be wishing we'd have donated to such an organization that would be in a position to provide the aid so badly needed when unforseen disaster strikes.
    As for the homeless, the battered, the mentally ill insert your favorite disadvantaged party here)... there are so many charitable organizations here; anyone wanting help can get it. They just have to have the courage and be willing to seek it out and jump through the hoops to get help. Or get a job.
    Poochella

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Our country is expected to help, because we can. We are the richest nation on the planet - Wal Mart probably makes $350 million in a day (if not a day than I'm sure in a few days)! A couple of these sickening comments prove how pathetically "poor" some Americans are in compassion. The countries that don't help, basically, CAN'T.

I'm embarrassed that members from other countries are reading this and the 3 or 4 posts by people who feel they are being forced to HELP will stick out and represent the American people.

It's completely embarrassing.

• mamacotti
    19 years ago

ummm, something tells me I should not get involved here, but I want to add my 2 cents...

I think it's wonderful to teach our kids to give, to reach out and help ANYONE in ANY situation.

After reading this thread, then re-reading Bill's post, I gotta say this...I just don't see it the way you guys do. He began by saying he thinks it's great to give, and he doesn't want to sound negative. Bill didn't suggest that they don't DESERVE it, or need it. I think he was saying that not only do the tsunami victims need help, but so do so many others who ARE NOT receiving $350 billion from the U.S.

Let's all continue to give...to whomever your heart leads you to.

Suzie

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Well, I don't doubt that Bill, or even Pam wanted to sound negative. It's really hard to say "I don't want to give to people whose lives were just ruined" without sounding completely selfish though.

Maybe it's just me. I dunno...it's pretty crummy to hear it at a time like this.

• Strudel1820
    19 years ago

My mother was born in Sri Lanka. Right now we have a Sri Lankan friend staying with us - he is distraught, and lucky that his family were not directly affected. I have been there to visit. I've worked in some of these countries that were hit. Bill, you really don't know poverty until you've been there. We have parts of Europe that perceive themselves as poor. I'm sorry they think so because in reality they are rich: they have food, clothing, and shelter if they want it - plus opportunity. The main mode of transport is motorised. That is not poor. 70c a day to carry 50kg of cement to the top of Adam's Peak in Sri Lanka is poor. No transport, or relying only on your ox is poor. And just when they thought they were coming out of a dark time of fear and violence with the Tamil Tiger problems, along comes a wave to wash all their hope away. Give or not, you can't help but have your heart wrench for them.

BTW, Basilmom, Indonesia is an Islamic country. One of the largest, as a matter of fact. Nevertheless, in any situation, fundamental zealots in whatever guise are to be reviled. Zealots exist everywhere, but this doesn't mean Indonesia should be punished because of they may possibly have some - most are just trying to live their lives like any one else following whatever other philosophy or religion.

Finally, ALL rich countries are expected to step up and help with aid - it would be inhumane not to! That said, one of the reasons the world expects the US to step up is because it is one of the richest nations, because it does normally care, because it steps in for other activities (not all altruistic, keep in mind), because it also prospers from other countries, so as a world community member, aid is expected, and dare I say, it would be a crime not to provide as much as possible. The US is not the lone donor in this, and 350 million is merely a bit more than $1/person in the US. You can do better than that.

Velvet Sparrow, and others, WELL DONE. You should be proud, for every little bit helps, and in VS's case, that little was a lot, and will mean a lot of help.

• Pams
    19 years ago

Not wanting to offend or upset anyone again, but not many people in our area are wealthy. It is hard for many to pay their bills with winter here. I see many older people having to make judgement calls as to having heat or medicine. Most give what they can to what they feel is right. We are trying to teach our childrent to give what is even more important than money - their time. Nothing wrong with sending those people water, food and help to bury their dead. And please remember that everyone here is in a different situation and background. Be as kind to your neighbor as you are to the person across the world.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

I forgot to tell those of you encouraging your kids to give is a wonderful lesson- no matter to whom.

I apologize for coming down on poor Bill like a ton of bricks but his comments just rubbed me the wrong way, obviously. Sorry Bill. I hope your pig,dog,chickens and family are all alright.

I have seen first hand the rampant abuses of Medicaid (your tax dollars,) abuses that nationwide make 350 million look like a drop in the bucket. I think that's what made me so mad. These people get their medical care and medicines that break many working/retired citizens' banks FREE and sit at home jobless watching their plasma tv's, drive much nicer cars than I'll ever have. Anyway, there are always abusers of any charity, there are always flag burners, there are always divergent opinions and there are always those in need one place or another.

The important idea is to give if you can, no matter what you can to whomever you feel most deserves it.
    Now I'll get on my broom and head out of here....
    Poochella

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Well said, Strudel. And I forgot about Indonesia in all of this. Sri Lanka and India are not primarily Muslim, but Buddhist and a few Christians and Muslims (based on what my Sri Lankan friends tell me). My comment about the Muslims to Bill was rude anyway, so I need to apologize to all who read it. I feel there is an accepted level of predjudice in this country - it bugs me - and that's why I said what I did.

But I do want to say one more thing (before you all hang me by my toes and tell me to shut up!)...
    not being able to give, and not WANTING to give comes from two different places in the heart.

• Jamie_in_Missouri
    19 years ago

We donate to ADRA. It's a relief organization run by our church and operates in over 120 different countries. Between tithe and gifts our donation ammount is more than what most folks here in the US make in a year.

I will only give to a Christian type organization. The reason I say this is because if I were to make decisions on who got what there would not be much charity money comming from my home. However by donating to a Christian based charity I hope and pray the Lord will guide those with the money to show them what to do.

Tracy, you liked Strudel's comments. I as an American citizen took offense to them. Yes, the world EXPECTS us to do more than anyone else. However no other nation in the world is more criticized than the US. Strudel spoke of only about $1 comming out of the pocket of each citizen here however I don't know if she realizes the extent we are taxed here. This year alone we will GIVE our government over 50K and that money is not only for those here in the US but it goes out to other countries as well. I also took exception to the implication that the old USA was exploiting these third world countries and making fortunes off them. If the US were to pack up and leave so would their jobs. Do you realize the jobs the US provides in the third world countries are actually the GOOD and sought after jobs there?

When diaster strikes here who the he$$ comes to our aid? Nobody, as we are supposed to be rich and take care of ourselves.

Just curious if anyone caught the NBC nightly news last night? Many people in the middle east and other predomenetly Muslim nations believe the diaster was caused by the US doing secret underground nuclear tests. It's being preached on their televison's and radio's. Some of richest nations in the world like Saudi Arabia and other oil rich nations are refusing to give much as they believe the money given will fall into the hands of infidels (that's us).

So in closing I'll just say we give and we give a lot. We hope those we give the money to will hopefully do the right thing with it. I don't resent giving as the Lord says, "to whom much is given much is expected".

If anyone would like to know more about ADRA just google it and look at the FAQ page.

Jamie

BTW- Why is this not in the conversations section?

• Jamie_in_Missouri
    19 years ago

I forgot to add that when someone from another country reads the "stingy" 350 million the US has sent for disaster relief for this cause to please keep in mind we also sent an aircraft carrier, soilders, and a host of various aircraft which is costing us millions. Don't forget also the aid/disaster relief workers including the American Red Cross which is funded privatley by AMERICANS.

Also when looking at the "stingy" 350 million of OUR tax dollors sent keep checking to see how much the citizens of our country have given privatley. I saw yesterday of just one person donating 1 million.

Jamie

• basilmom
    19 years ago

I think the "stingy" comment came from one reporter at first, and it was blown out of proportion.

What would be worse? If the US said, "nobody comes and helps us when WE need help, so sorry Charlie!", or if the US government sends help because we are supposed to be a good People? Which would be worse?

• Mag_in_NY
    19 years ago

Actually, after 9/11 the workers at ground zero used heavy equipment from all over the world to lift the debris. I don't know if this was donated, but it was made available to us in our time of need.

I believe we should send help top these people because they need it. Although there are those in need in our own country, obviously there is greater need in south Asia right now.

If we fixed everything was was wrong in our own lives or our own countries before giving to those in greater need, there would never be anything to give on a personal level or a national level.

I don't feel that I am taxed too heavily in this country, I just wish it was spent differently. Tsunami relief is one thing I don't mind the government spending my money on.

Mag

• Jamie_in_Missouri
    19 years ago

Tracy what get's my goat is this "expected" to do crap. Our own citizens expect so much from our government and now so does the rest of the world. So many times I think of a sign I once saw from our great depression that read, "move along, we can't take care of our own" and feel like we as a nation need to say that more.

I think we can all rest assured though that when it's all said and done the US will have donated more money, time, equipment, people, and whatever else is "expected" of us. And when it's all said and done there will be grumblings about how we could have done more and we will still be thought of as a hated war mongering country full of infidels by a big chunk of the world.

You only picked out one point I made and it was a small one. We are independent and don't expect other nations to come to our aid and that's just "expected".

Jamie

• TriElysian
    19 years ago

This post started out with a parent being proud of her child for wanting to help by emptying her piggy bank. I would be proud too. Maybe we should all see the world from the eyes of a child and feel and do what our hearts tell us.

Living here in South Florida and having two hurricanes going directly over head (not even close to the devistation from the Tsunami)I can't imagine what they are going through. Four months later you can't drive down the road without seeing blue tarps on the roofs of houses (we can't buy shingles), many road signs still are not up, buildings destroyed, insurance companies aren't helping, People trying to put theirs lives back together. Many senior citizens can't afford the repair costs. January 3rd, the elementry school down the road just opened back up. It's a very slow process. Most frustrating of all,,,is the greed of some people. In Miami-Dade County FEMA paid out $21.5 million dollars for hurricane relief, MIAMI WAS NOT EFFECTED BY THE HURRICANES. They had nothing more then a thunderstorm, yet people lined up and claimed all kinds of things and it was paid out. That sickens me. (ELECTION YEAR). Miami-Dare actually got more money then the counties that were hit by the storms. Also, after the storm we had thousands of guys here working, coming from many states and alot from Canada to restore electric, phones, water.

I think we all need to take a step back and look at the situation for what it is. For many of the victims of the flood life will never be the same. They need help, no matter where it comes from, your personal piggybank or the reserves of many nations. The United States is a powerful and wealthy country, it is a political enity, and will step up to the bat and face obligations. I don't believe they will be writing out checks to people in other countries the way they did in Miami. Charity begins at home.

Propaganda is used to gain power for cause. For the most part people around the world understand earthquakes. Don't let it scare you. Those that believe the United States is to blame, are living in parts of the world where free thought, education and technology is not available to them, maybe they should be next on our global list to help. In the course of world history the United States is a very young country, one that in many ways is like a spoiled teenager.

I have been very fortunate in my life, thanks to an education and the oppritunity to do and be whatever you want in this country. It was not given to me. I'm in my 40's, retired, don't plan on going back to work ever, and in that 1% tax bracket that is a sore spot for many americans. I do NOT believe we are over taxed and I strongly belive if you owe the tax,pay it. (They will get you if you don't...LOL)We travel quite a bit and make it a point to do something positive wherever we go. As Strudel said until you spend time living and working in Third world countries you can't grasp the struggles that these people face in their daily lives.

Many of those people depend on agriculture to live, I would think on this forum that alone should say something.
    Peg

• graciel57
    19 years ago

Well, all I can say is I don't think I'll regret having opened up my credit card to the Red Cross. I understand all of the viewpoints expressed in this thread and share some of the negative ones as well. But I can still be disgusted with the problems in the US, and with the US administration and still see the need to help people out. There are hundreds of thousands of people there who think their world has come to an end. They won't see their lives turn around for not months, but probably for years. How can you not help them?

Jennifer

• JEAA_Farms
    19 years ago

I just read today in the newspaper that Kuwaite, a heavily enriched muslim country, is projecting a 10 BILLION dollar surplus for their government, and they feel 10 million dollars is enough for them to donate. But of course, the nasty Americans donation wouldn't be enough for the UN countries, no matter how large it is. Is this a tragedy, of course it is. Is it America's job to bail out every 3rd world country just because we can, HE77 no in my opinion! I for one don't want my tax dollars going over there, especially when they are needed over here. If we have an extra $350 million laying around, then please reduce my tax bill this yr. Or better yet, give our soldiers a raise and help out their families before helping out strangers. I am already paying for a war I dont believe we should be involved in, now this. We are digging such a hole of debt that our future generations will never see the national debt under control, much less paid off.

A tragedy, yes, our problem, no. When 9/11 occured, we didnt need any help from other countries. They may have offered, but we can do just fine by ourselves. There is more than enough heavy equipment in this country to take care of what ever needs to be done. Let us land a few planes in your airports, charge us whatever you think it's worth, send us a bill and we'll square up with ya. And then we'll go back to rebuilding our country and then we will light up some 3rd world country like it's the 4th of July!!

Semper Fi!!

• cowsandchickens
    19 years ago

Any act of unselfish care from a child should be supported and encouraged. I am proud of my sons when ever they see beyond themselves to help out another. Too many people complain that the "next" generation is spoiled and selfish, but won't take the time to support them when they try. To a 5 year old child, that piggy bank would be like a million dollars to an adult. I applaud your letting her donate her money they way she felt she needed to. It sounds like you are raising a responsible loving child.

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Spike, sorry this degenerated into a debate and you had to move the thread. :( I probably should have posted this thread here to begin with but I was afraid that no one would see it, and with the tsunami victims time was of the essence. Thanks for allowing it to hang around. :)

• Strudel1820
    19 years ago

Jamie, sorry you took offence, but it is "expected" of ALL rich nations to contribute. Just like those who depend on you each day to do certain obligations you have (like feeding those hay-burners of yours). It is expected that you will tend to them. That's the kind of expectation going on here. As a member of the international community, in a time of severe crisis, it is expected that everyone will pitch in what they can to help. Politics, religion, and personal feelings aside.

This was a monumentally devastating disaster. We are all EXPECTED to help in whatever way we can. And since the US is the most heavily populated wealthy nation, proportionately more is expected. And just so you don't think you are the only hard done by taxed person in the world, I pay 55% personal tax, plus 21% in sales tax, plus property taxes. Don't tell me you are highly taxed. Not to mention paying over 1.15/litre in gas due mostly to more taxes.

Additionally, so you know you aren't alone in contributions (and we only have 10 million people living in Belgium), here's an excerpt from the news:

Belgium has raised its contribution to the victims of the Tsunami disaster. Around 30 million euros have now been designated by the federal government for the fund, with 12 million destined for emergency aid. Next week, military forces will be deployed to the region to help with immediate rebuilding at a cost of 3 million euros and a further 15 million has been reserved for the future reconstruction of the affected areas. This is in addition to the EU, UN, and NATO efforts Belgium contributes to.

The "Tsunami 12-12" consortium uniting Unicef, Oxfam, Caritas International, Handicap International and the Belgian Red Cross has raised a total of 16.5 million euros to aid the victims of the south asia disaster. Some 244,000 individual donors made the amount possible. An action organised by Belgium's mobile telephone companies has already raised 260,000 euro.

The Flemish government is to offer a further half a million euros towards the International Tsunami disaster fund. This is the equivalent to around one-third of the annual budget available to Minister for Development Aid Geert Bourgeois for emergency help. The funds will go to the Red Cross for medical supplies and to UNICEF for water installations and Jerry cans. Oxfam will also receive funds for water and toilet amenities and Handicap International will be provided with funds to set up mobile hospitals in affected areas.

I'm proud and pleased to belong to a caring nation. We all should be.

• basilmom
    19 years ago

VS, I wouldn't say it "degenerated" into a debate, I'd say it "evolved". Personally, I had no idea there were Americans who viewed this disaster as "their" problem...and I doubt you did when you posted it.

But I'm glad you did ;) I've learned a lot and I've had a lot to ponder while mucking out my stalls.

We are a diverse group of people here, that's for sure!

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm kinda surprised to see this thread still here, but pleased. Well...kinda.

Because unfortunately, it's time to revive it.

After watching the devastation of hurricane Katrina in the gulf states, my daughter, who is just about to turn six in two weeks, turned to me, looked me in the eye and said, "Is it time to donate?" I said yes, very definetely.

Once again we are challenging all you Farm Forum folks to dig out those penny jars, take them down to your local supermarket and dump the contents into the Coinstar machines. If you read this thread through, you'll see that Coinstar forgoes their cut for processing the coins if you donate the money to one of the many charities listed on the machine, rather than take the money yourself.

I know that some people are going to say that the world should give some back and help us, after all we as Americans have done for other countries in need. I agree to a certain extent, but I think also that everyone here in the US wants to help in some way. This time it's for us. Let's step up, do it and take care of our own.

Velvet ~:>

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio