Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melee_al

Show me the horses!

melee_AL
19 years ago

I would love to see pictures of everyone's horses! Dicentra and Basilmom got the ball rolling with some really nice photos, c'mon let's see more :)

Here is my blondie, Can-Can Girl, a TWH and a gentle giant:

{{gwi:33461}}

Comments (37)

• Patriz
    19 years ago

What a nice photo of the two of you! She looks like a sweetie :)
    Trish

• dighappy
    19 years ago

Such a pretty girl...love that blonde mane and tail. Here is a picture of my two, Autumn and Speedy

{{gwi:33462}}

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh dig, what a lovely pair! such engaging expressions!

Where is Wingnut? I am dying to see some new pics of all those cute foals!

Here's a picture of Grey, he is a TWH too and Can-Can's half brother. He is my spunky monkey, Can is the 'husband horse' (safe enough for a spouse to ride : ). Grey is a handy 'lil thing, very quick! Look at the round pen rail behind him and you can see how small he is compared to his big sister..

{{gwi:33463}}

• dighappy
    19 years ago

Mel......Grey sure is a beauty, looks like he is really built for speed. Sometimes those smaller, more compact horses can really burn up the trail. I had a smallish quarterhorse mare (built like the oldtime working QH) that I raised from a baby that could just about run in place. Power steering and power brakes. Can't tell you how many times I found myself either on the ground or suddenly standing next to her with the reins in my hand without really knowing what happened. She was pretty quick. My first horse was a very large saddlebred (17 hands) so I went from huge to small and now we are right in the middle with horses that are around 15 hands. There are good things to be said about both ends of the scale.

• ccox
    19 years ago

Dig, your "kids" are standing right there in a paddock full of mud and they're clean as whistles. What gives? It's just not fair! My horse (when I had one) could find a mud puddle in a desert and roll in it. He especially loved rolling in his long winter coat. I'd curry all that mud out and then I'd be covered in dirt and he'd be clean.
    Melee, Grey looks like he's full of it. Luke was just over 14 hands and stocky. He now runs barrels and poles for a high schooler in 4-H. I would never have seen that in him, but the new owners do and says he turns on a dime.
    I've been wondering about Wingnut too. She disappeared for a long time before her last mare, Patience, was about to foal. She finally reported in with pics of the foal and then dropped out again.
    Thanks for sharing your pics,
    Carla

• Whiskeyman
    19 years ago

What great Pics!!! I love your horses!!!

• dighappy
    19 years ago

ccox, I must have been lucky that day, they are usually right there in the "mudball" category. I know what you mean about that long winter coat being tough to get clean...I thought Speedy was pretty white until we got all that snow, boy does he look dingy compared to all that white.

• basilmom
    19 years ago

I love looking at these pictures! Post more! Post more!

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Basilmom, how about a Princess Cricket update or some pics of those cute minis? Please? :)

• boopster
    19 years ago

okay since I finally figured out how to post pics:) here are some of my kids. Paint, Guinness the TB, and the PMU baby Hudson.

Here is a link that might be useful: paint Hudson, Guinness

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Okay, I took this this orning of DD and the mini's. Cricket looks so bad right now (like a trojan pony in a winter coat!) I haven't taken any pictures of her...

{{gwi:33464}}

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

What a great shot, boopster. Looks like something from a Paint horse calendar!

Basilmom, those minis sure are cute.

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Boopster, your three sure are pretty. How tall is that Hudson getting to be?

basilmom, those minis (and your DD) are precious! I would love to have a mini except that I don't think my one waist-high strand of electric fence would keep it in :)

PS You posted about training uppity youngsters a while back, Grey is the one I got some 'professional help' for :) He is more respectful now but still a pistol!

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Here's a funny shot - Salina's head is bigger than the mini:

{{gwi:33465}}

(don't ask me why the barn was such a mess!)

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Unbelievable! That mini just does not look real next to giant Salina!

• boopster
    19 years ago

Here's a better pic of Hudson. He's 9 months old now and 14.1, so I think he's going to be a monster:) they say you can do the string test at 1yr so we'll see. I'm thinking he'll make close to 17 hands. Bless his little heart he's had it kind of rough. He had a hernia when I got him, so when we castrated him we repaired the hernia, well after a couple of weeks the hernia blew out again:(. So we did another surgery, 2 hours, triple stitched, about 10 packs of suture. My friend the vet said he didn't want to have to do this again:) well guess what? About three or four weeks after the second surgery it blew out again!!!!!Ughhhhh Byrne(my vet) says he can't remember ever doing a threefer' and he's been an equine vet for 40 some years. So for some reason he's just not healing. Now we're going to go back in and put in a mesh screen. I just hate having to do a third surgery on him. He has turned out to be just the sweetest guy in the world, does everything I ask him to do. Byrne came out to vaccinate all the horses a couple of days ago and he was the best one, didn't even need a halter, just stood there good as gold. oh well, guess we'll get this next op. out of the way and hopfully this one will do the trick, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson

• boopster
    19 years ago

taking the neighbor for a ride at Christmas

http://images.snapfish.com/342%3B7%3C6%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2343%3D646%3D649%3DXROQDF%3E2323763748362ot1lsi

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas ride

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

taking the neighbor for a ride at Christmas

{{gwi:33466}}

Hey Boopster, is the horse and cart(?) yours?

• boopster
    19 years ago

Yes:) the horse is Tulsa, he's about 25 yrs old (I've lost count) I've had him since he was a pup lol. I got a wild hair and bought the cart a couple of years ago. Now this horse had never been driven before,(course I've never driven before either) when I got the cart and harness, my vet friend and I just put the harness on him one morning, ground drove him for a few minutes, then we just put the cart behind him, bumped him with it a few times, hooked him up and off we went! NOW that being said I would NEVER reccomend anyone EVER doing this. This horse is just soooooo broke and sensible, that we knew it wouldn't be a problem. Had I tried this with the paint horse or the TB, I'd still be in intensive care!
    Question! how do you post the pic in the message and not as a link?

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Boopster,

Wingnut used to have a very detailed page explaining how to do this  it seems to have disappeared into the big bit bucket in the sky or I would post a link to it. I saved her how-to page on my computer, here is an excerpt from itÂ

{{gwi:33467}}

• boopster
    19 years ago

ok, here's a test to see if it works.

src=http://images.snapfish.com/342%3B8%3A2723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2343%3D646%3D649%3DXROQDF%3E23237763%3B83%3A2ot1lsi

Here is a link that might be useful: Hudson

• boopster
    19 years ago

try again

{{gwi:33468}}

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

Here's our latest foster, Evasive Genie. She's a 19 year old unraced Thoroughbred, with very distinguished ancestors. Seattle Slew is her grandfather, and she's got War Admiral and Man O' War blood. She's quiet and gentle but not very well trained. My guess is she's had a lot of babies in her life.

This was taken right when we got her, she was quite skinny. I know the stall looks awful. Our barn is very ugly (the cribbing damage is ancient, predates us) but the animals sure think it's comfy.

{{gwi:33470}}

As you can see, my husband fell completely and utterly in love with her at first sight. She's gained a little bit of weight since these photos, but still needs more.

{{gwi:33472}}

• boopster
    19 years ago

Nice mare:) you said you're just fostering her? Looks like your husband might have other ideas LOL. She doesn't look all that poor to me, as a matter of fact she looks just about right from the pic. Glad you could help her out:)

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey boopster,

Hudson sure has got some long legs! Poor fella - I feel sorry for him having all those surgeries, hope the latest one will take! Tulsa looks very stylish - don't you love those oldie goldies who have seen and done it all :)

PS when you post a pic in a message, it will show up in the Message Preview (where you go after you click the [Preview Message] button). If the pic doesn't show up in the Message Preview, scroll to the bottom of the page and "use the form to make corrections". You can keep experimenting until you are happy with the results.

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here's another pic of Can-Can - showing off her trot!

{{gwi:33473}}

and her trail-eating walk..

{{gwi:33474}}

• boopster
    19 years ago

Melee, I tried experimenting with the pics. guess I'll have to try again:)
    Your mare looks very nice, looks like she's pretty laid back, do you show her? You have the gray horse too, right? What cross is he?

Yes, Hudson does have some long legs! One of the reasons I liked him is that even though he's a draft cross he doesn't have that clunky look to him, and I also liked the fact that he didn't have that big ol' draft head:) His mother had a God awful head, yikes.

• boopster
    19 years ago

Hudson
    {{gwi:33468}}

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hey boopster - you did it! Yay! :)

Can and Grey are both reg. Tennessee Walkers, but they are polar opposites, both physically and mentally. Can weighs a good 1350-1400lbs by the weight tape, Grey is about 900lbs.

I don't have any good pics of me riding Grey because I do not ride him very much yet. It takes an hour of groundwork for him to remember that his life will be *so* much easier if he will just do as I ask. Can on the other hand will do her utmost to please!

I don't show, way too lazy! I am getting started on Parelli, hope to take some dressage lessons with Can this spring. Next week, I am getting my very first pickup truck, then my very first horse trailer. Woo-hoo! Life is good!

• boopster
    19 years ago

Yeah, can't believe I did it either! I'm a comp. dork.

Wow new truck and trailer! you are livin' large! good for you. I just took 'ol blue' in to be painted. Just a cheap paint job, but hopefully it will look better than it did.
    I've been thinking about getting into the showing thing, I did polo for a long time, but the club here went under, so...I want to do somthing with the 'kids' but not sure I'm up for the politics involved in showing these days, we'll see I guess.

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Oh now Boop, I didn't say I was goin' to get a NEW truck and trailer LOL I am getting a '79 Chevy C-20 with a towing package, then I'll shop for a used trailer. Just enough to get me around locally. There is an area Parelli group here that is very active - even renting an arena and gathering at folks farms to practice, visit, help each other learn. I am looking forward to being able to load up and attend those, go horse camping, trail riding and the like.

That Hudson looks like he could sure pop over a fence or two in a few years :)

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

Can-Can is such a beauty! Look at those elegant legs.

Boopster, I think you're right about my husband and our "foster" horse. When he called me at work to say she'd arrived, and breathlessly described her as "the most beautiful horse in the whole world" I immediately realized my Bronx-born hubby had just gotten his first horse.

I'm glad to hear you don't think she's too thin. If memory serves me, the full-body photo was taken a few days after the stall shot, and it's possible she gained a little bit of weight during that time. She only looks ribby from certain angles and while flexing sideways, although the top of her rump looks thin to me. That might be her conformation, though. She's a big gangly thing.

• basilmom
    19 years ago

Great pictures everyone! Boopster that white gelding doesn't look his age at all. He looks great pulling y'all on Christmas (but where's the snow??? The mittens and parkas?? LOL). And Hudson is a doll! I hope he pulls through well with his hernia problems.

Can Can is such a beauty. What are your plans with her melee?

Carol, I think it's great that you've taken on that mare. She looks like she'll enjoy some much deserved attention at your place. :)

Tracy

• melee_AL
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Carol, thanks for the kind words! I don't think Genie looks underweight, and she has a nice shine to her coat. She just looks like a TB, slender with long, lean muscles. Bless your heart for fostering rescues! Genie is a looker, but LOL at "the most beautiful horse in the world", sounds like love at first sight :)

Tracy, my plans are to have fun :) and mosey through the Parelli levels. I am supposed to turn Can-Can over to DH and then focus more on Grey this spring (sigh, girding loins for battle) since he is supposed to be mine. He is fun, but definitely challenging for me. He is sure going to help me develop some mental and emotional discipline. How are your dressage lessons going?

Leitha

• susanne_OR
    19 years ago

I'm late to the party, but here are a couple of photos of Mingus, our 38" mini (we call him our maxi-mini). He was rescued from sever neglect at a previous home, but has now grown into quite the man (even if he is a gelding!), and will make his show debut this weekend. (Just for fun...he is first and foremost a pocket pony...)

{{gwi:33475}}
    {{gwi:33476}}

Here is our coming yearling, Pastorius on the right. (On the left is our friend's filly, SuzieQ)
    {{gwi:33477}}

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

Mingus is a beauty!

• susanne_OR
    18 years ago

Thank you, Carole! I have to say, though, that he would agree with you -- he's a bit full of himself...but we love him dearly.