Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emluchsinger

Oliver and his chicks

emluchsinger
19 years ago

Just thought I'd post some pictures of Oli and his new chicks! He's quite attached already. When I took them away from him to go back in the warm brooder, he pitched a holy temper tantrum! Quite funny.

Enjoy!

Oh, and we only have 20 more days left in the cranial band! I'm SOOOO excited to have a cute, round headed baby again!

{{gwi:33595}}
{{gwi:33596}}
{{gwi:33597}}

Comments (20)

• ladybug1
    19 years ago

I love the picture with the dog! So glad Oliver is doing well. I know you will be glad when that is over.

• velvet_sparrow
    19 years ago

Great pictures! :) I'm SO glad this has a happy ending! I suspected that the hatchery had had a delay in shipping...it was cruel of them not to confess their mistake to you.

Your broody box is fantastic, great 'Oliver Accessway'. :) My fav is the last picture. I'd suggest that for the sake of neatness (and to avoid chicks drowning or getting wet and chilled) that you add a few marbles to the waterer trough, and set a couple of brick under it to raise it up a bit. It brings the water up to head level for the chicks, even better if they have to hop up onto the brick to get a drink. Raising the waterer also cuts down on the chicks pooping in the water.

Have fun with the chicks, I'm jealous! :)

• emluchsinger
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The waterers are actually drown proof chick waterers. They only have a 1/2" (at the most" of water in them. But raising them up would be a good idea.
    They're doing very good. They're so QUIET compared to all my previous chicks!

• sweetgreen
    19 years ago

Happy belated-Birthday Oliver! (from an un-official member of the Oliver fan club)

The chicks look great, I'm so ready for spring and this sight is about as good as the snowdrops and crocus coming up thru the ground. Thanks for posting the pic's, such fun!

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

Very cute pictures, thanks for putting a smile on my face.

• elrem2002
    19 years ago

Some of the cutest pictures I've ever seen. They ought to be posted in the photography forum. Thanks for posting them.

• Jamie_in_Missouri
    19 years ago

Actually I think Oli's wanting chicken for dinner, I see drool on his shirt!!!!

Jamie

BTW- Just kidding as you know.

• Maggie_J
    19 years ago

Oliver is so cute - even cuter than the chicks, which is saying a lot. He looks fascinated by his "birthday presents." Glad things turned out (comparatively) well.

~ Maggie (Oliver Fan Club Member)

• emluchsinger
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jamie,
    YOu are tooo funny. He is quite the drooling machine! And he does love chicken!

• ccox
    19 years ago

Cute pics. Glad everything turned out as well as it did. I dreaded that you'd post that you'd gotten a box full of dead chicks.
    Your dog's thinking, "I'll bet I could put that chick away in just one bite. Let's try it and see!"
    Good luck to you and Oliver. The light at the end of the Cranial Band tunnel. I could just eat those cheeks! My youngest (6) won't let me chew on him anymore. Wants to be cool like his Big Bro (13).

• donna37
    19 years ago

So cute. Waiting for him to go over the side to grab that chick. lol.
    Great that he is soon to lose his hat!
    Donna

• basilmom
    19 years ago

I bet he'd pop one right in his mouth if given the chance (I'll spare you the details of when dd found a frog at the lake one day...).

Very cute pictures :)

• ccox
    19 years ago

Erin, how are the chicks doing? Any more losses from their perilous journey?
    Only 13 more days on Oliver's band! You'll have to give him a haircut so his hair is all the same. I don't imagine having the cranial band on all the time does much good for that wonderful blonde hair.
    Take care,
    Carla

• erinluchsinger
    19 years ago

Actually, his hair is fine! Hard to believe but it's in good shape other than having a few split ends b/c of the daily baths.
    The chicks are good. Total I've lost 4... 3 in the journey (which I have been compensated for) and more more after that.
    13 more days, but who's counting!
    Erin

• Andrew_in_Ca
    19 years ago

Just wanted to add (even though it is a little too late); that chicks should never be kept on newspaper. It is too slick for them, and it causes sprattle legs, and other leg problems. Paper towels are fine, or newspaper with some thing laid on top (shavings, saw dust, corn cobs, paper towels, etc...).
    -Andrew

• erinluchsinger
    19 years ago

I only kept them on newspaper for a day, so that they wouldn't eat their litter. AFter 24 hours, they are always taken off it.
    I've raised many chicks and never had one with sprattle.
    But thanks for the advice. If only the Tractor Supply would use it! They ahve chicks in galvanized water tanks on newspaper with a heat lamp so low it's way too hot. They ahve chicks that are almost 4 weeks old that are missing sooo many feathers b/c they're too damned hot. Drives me nuts!
    ERin

• ccox
    19 years ago

erin, is the 30th Oliver's big day? No more Cranial Band? I was just rereading some old posts and noticed your post about "20 more days" that you posted on the 10th.
    Carla

• erinluchsinger
    19 years ago

Yup... the 30th. I can't wait!!!!!
    Maybe people will stop staring b/c of the "helmet", and start staring b/c he's so damned cute!
    Erin

• ccox
    19 years ago

It may be the middle of the night, but it's officially Wednesday---Oliver's big day!
    Congratulations, y'all made it!
    Take care,
    Carla

• erinluchsinger
    19 years ago

Hooray Hooray!
    No more stinking helmet!
    I just need to find a teddy bear with a big enough noggin to put it on for remembrance reasons!
    I'll post some "new and improved" pics of our unofficial farm mascot.
    He had a blast sitting in his new radio flyer wagon today while I tended to the chicken chores.
    The chicks got evicted from the house 2 days go. I just couldn't take the dust anymore! So now they're in an extra large dog crate (as size as my brooder) in the coop. I have a light on them, but noticed today that my 3 little silver spangled hamburgs have some feathers missing on their heads. They may be brought back into the house. I'm giving them until tomorrow. They look fine, but I think they've been picked on a bit.
    And my rescued hen was sooo happy to get outside today!
    It was 60 and sunny! Lots of snow left, but at least it was nice so she could get out and soak up the rays.
    Sorry for rambling!
    Erin

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz