19 years ago

Many bricks later...........

{{gwi:33644}}

{{gwi:33645}}

Comments (21)

• erinluchsinger
    19 years ago

That barn is fantastic!
    I was going to ask ifyou live in PA with all the brick work, but I see that you do.
    Gorgeous! Job well done!
    Erin

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Erin! Yes I live in Pa. My better half is from this area...so Yup.. to insure she thinks she is the Boss,,I stay up here....LOL. Virginia is my Home and always will be...But I found out long ago, it is better to have your cake...if you can't have your cake and eat it too...LOL Glad you enjoyed viewing the Old Barn.

Rick

• ladybug1
    19 years ago

That barn is beautiful!

• ccox
    19 years ago

My goodness, what workmanship! Truly a thing of beauty.
    Stupid question?---Are the designs in the side actually open to the air? I was thinking about moisture and the cold in PA.
    Carla

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Guy's,
    Yes, Carla, they are functional venting. The opening's in the brick, by using a half/brick system are opened and closed from inside. This allows for summer cooling and air movement. Closed for the winter, except during warm weather or when doing a project that requires air ventilation. The lower metal vent system is also functional. The lower vents can individualy be closed and sealed/locked if needed.

• mamacotti
    19 years ago

That's probably the biggest barn I've ever seen. (But keep in mind that I was a city girl all the way until Dh plopped me in a pasture one day!)

It really is beautiful...and I'm certain I've never seen a brick barn. How tall is it?

Suzie

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

That's the most gorgeous barn I've ever seen. When does it date from? Is it German? English?

There's a brick barn with similar vents near Kintnersville PA, along the Delaware River.

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Suzie, it is approx 32 feet to the peak from the lowest point. Actually overall it is not a large barn, by any means. Glad you like it though...:o)
    Carol, It is "Shaker" 1860's. Also, glad you like it. I am not familiar with Kintnersville. I will check it out, though. Thank You

Rick

• donna37
    19 years ago

That's a beautiful barn. You must be very proud.
    Donna

• Poochella
    19 years ago

It's a thing of beauty! Can you imagine the work that went into construction? I don't know anything about PA except I want to visit! Are brick barns a rareity or more common there?

MaxBaer Rick, how much 'bringing back' did you actually have to do to produce these results? What a labor of love!

I am from the midwest where they have big sprawling board barns with hay mows, sliding wood doors etc etc. But when I see this expanse of brick, I think "Beautiful" and then my next thought is " can you imagine the tomatoes I could grow against that brick wall??????"

Well done!

• gldno1
    19 years ago

That is the most beautiful barn I have ever seen! Congratulations on restoring it. The house is wonderful too!

How lucky you are to live in such a place....

Could be barn be Penn. Dutch?

GD

• gldno1
    19 years ago

That is the most beautiful barn I have ever seen! Congratulations on restoring it. The house is wonderful too!

How lucky you are to live in such a place....

Could be barn be Penn. Dutch?

GD

• Jamie_in_Missouri
    19 years ago

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a design. Regarding the ventalation holes in the bricks how bout an interior picture for us old barn lovers so we can see how it functions?

Your barn is nicer than my house! Heck it would make a neat home. We just have the traditional "western" style of barns here and everywhere else I've lived. I guess if you ever get bored and need something to do you can head my way and begin the restoration of my old barn. I'd like to see what you can get done with an old wooden one!

Jamie

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pooch,
    Thank You. Yes , I can imagine the work that went into it...LOL. Brick is not that rare in the area. The design is not common though, to my knowledge. There are many limestone Barns, all over the area too. Many Lower foundation/bank barns of Limestone and concrete. Many of Post& Beam constuction. So many were built by the Amish, Mennonites, Shakers. Some are of a combination of types. Making for very interesting Barns. Some of the Art work (Painting) is awesome.
    This one took hundreds of bricks and tons of mortar and cement. Not to mention re-cycled post and beams inside. It also has been altered to accomadate a 2nd floor woodworking shop. It also has a 3rd floor loft, on both ends for storage. The first floor has all the "Stalls" converted for storage of equipment. The Stall walls are now a parched over limestone base. The floor is now poured concrete. The right side has an addition put on for storage of the Back-Hoe and another piece of equipment. The left rear has had an addition also. It is now office space. Also called a "Hubby Hideout"
    Pooch, yes , Tomatoes have been planted along the entire length of that brick wall. The Deer loved them..LOL along with other various critters.
    Thank You GD,,glad you like it ⺠The Barn is Shaker.
    Jamie, I have looked high and low for some inside Pix of the barn. No luck locating them yet. I will take some more if I can't find the old floppies that have them. Never was one to keep pix handy of messes,,LOL. Especially storage and work areas,,LOL. I will take some though for you. It's nothing special to look at,but you are welcome too. If you are expecting a Barn that has space utilized for animals and hay and such, you will be very dissapointed. Sorry, I know very little about such things, but I am learning. In time the animals will be brought back too......
    I'll try and dig up some more views of the place...Baer with me....
    In this view you can see the "Hubby Hideout" Office..LOL âº
    {{gwi:33646}}

Rickâº

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I did find a Front View. It also shows the addition for the Back-Hoe storage. Sorry it is not a good picture. the western sun tossed alot of glare on here. At least you can get the idea.âº

{{gwi:33648}}

Rickâº

• Jamie_in_Missouri
    19 years ago

I guess my question was on the "half brick" closing for ventelation. I was just wondering how that worked? Do you have to walk around and slip a brick in each hole when it's cold and pull it out when it warms up? An explination of that is what I was interested in.

Jamie

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Jamie,
    It is just a series of slider shutters on the inside. One pull of a rope and they slide across the opening's, sealing things up. Each row has a seperate system so you can control the amount of air movement. Very simple, and easy to do. Works just like drapes do.

Rickâº

• socks
    19 years ago

Wonderful! Thanks for taking the time to share photos.

• Poochella
    19 years ago

I love the brick roadwork too. What a gorgeous place you have. A backhoe and tomatoes too-- some people have all the luck!
    Poochella

• cheribelle
    18 years ago

Wow! That is a nice barn. I am in Iowa, the barns here are wood and neglected mostly, or new pole barns with metal siding. Yours is awesome!

• chickenmama1
    18 years ago

I am crying. This looks just like home. We've been in Idaho since 1988. I want to go home now! I love these barns. Thank you for posting this!
    Maggie chickenmama1