Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of rooster is this?

Posted by wvgal_2006 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 13:52

Hi there... I have a very mean rooster... and i was curious as to what breed he is??? Thank you so much for any information!

Image link: What kind of rooster is this? (56 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of rooster is this?

Cannot answer what breed he is, I can say whenever I think of a rooster this is the image I see.

Gorgeous tail feathers. Beautiful picture.

Roxann

o

A pretty one ;-)

o

That is one handsome guy!

o

I THINK it's a brown Leghorn...

Suzie

o

I would second that - he does look like a brown leghorn. I have two of them at home, although much bigger, and they are pretty docile....just not with each other!

o

He is a pretty thing, but I am deciding I do not need a rooster to complicate my life. My "gentle" Buff Orpington, doesn't know he is supposed to be gentle....I stay out of the chicken yard unless DH is with me. I feel chicken and dumplings coming on.

o

Yes, he is a brown leghorn. I have two of them at home, beautiful boys and mine are very nice ones also. Never give me a minutes trouble. Now - I had to get rid of a Cochin rooster last year - that was the meanest, nastiest beastie I've seen! He is no longer with us and everyone is much happier. :)

o

I have been living in St. Croix USVI for the past two winters and there are roosters just like yours. Junior, who is one comes under my bedroom window and seranases me in the a.m. He is very nice and has a pleasant croon but Oh the crowing is really loud....

o

We had brown leghorns when I was growing up. Very good egg layers and the fishermen were always asking for the feathers. The roosters were like bulls, just because they seemed nice, don't turn your back on them. I got some more when my kids were small and got a very mean rooster. He didn't even make good dumplings.

o

I have one of these. He was a rescue rooster, and I have spent the summer trying to understand what it is that upsets him. It's a long list, but if he charges me from behind, he makes a lot of noise slamming his feet on the ground, and if he's nearby, he will always start out letting me know he's upset by making a noise like Darth Vader. I find that if I move slowly and respect his space he's a vast source of entertainment, and he takes his job and himself very seriously. My girls would be lost without him, though my daughter thinks he belongs on a Thanksgiving table. [That's not going to happen] I would like to know more about this breed, I had not heard of a brown leghorn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here