Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinluchsinger

The Beef Herd

erinluchsinger
18 years ago

Just thought I'd add some pictures of the beefers. We were lucky enough (as I like the red in them) to get 2 all red calves. One heifer and one bull (steer) calf. All the red look like herefords. Our bull is a hereford/red angus cross and the heifers are all herefords. The bull has bred the heifers back and next year we're replacing him w/ a purebred red angus bull. We want to go more toward the red side. Looked at some pure bred red angus heifers the other day and I don't like the look of their heads... seemed to have a dairy head and neck which I don't like the looks of. I like the stocky build.

Enjoy!

The Rusty Red Baron (2005 steer calf)

{{gwi:33981}}

Ms. Coco Chanel (2005 Heifer Calf)

{{gwi:33984}}
Only heifer that didn't produce a calf (preg tested positive but aborted apparently)

{{gwi:33987}}

Our Beloved Mr. Pickles... not a very good picture of him, but it will have to do as he didn't want to cooperate today!

{{gwi:33989}}

Comments (6)

• sullicorbitt
    18 years ago

Erin they sure are a beautiful site to behold! I love the pictures!

-Sheila

• gldno1
    18 years ago

Erin, enjoyed seeing your beef cows. We had a Red Angus bull some time back and really liked him. They are difficult to find in our area, more Black Angus. We have decided to go all black even though DH really wanted another RA. Your calves are really good looking!

gld

• mamacotti
    18 years ago

Ooohhh, Erin, they are beautiful! I think Mr. Pickles looks great!

Suzie

• chickadee_42us
    18 years ago

Great pictures Erin, did you get moved closer to the herd?
    Roxann

• erinluchsinger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes! Infact, we can see the farm from the front of our house! There is someone else's crop land between our house and my grandparents' farm, but it's only a 1/2 mile drive around the "block" to get down there! This should make things nice come Christmas tree time. I'll be able to run home if it's slow at night and still drive back over w/o any problems! Much easier on us all!
    DH is able to do a drive by everyday and check on the herd. They are usually in 3 different pasture that border the road. We do rotation pastures during the summer, but now that that's over, they are usually in one of 3 pastures that you can drive right up to. Very nice.
    And we did buy a red angus bull. he's this year's calf (March calf), so we won't get him until he's weaned... probably in November. Very excited about that. I plan to advertise "pickles" for sale here any day. Just need to get the vet out to preg check all the girls. If he's succeeded 100%, he's off to father someone else's babies! I hate to see him go b/c he's been a fantastic bull (production wise and temperament). He's sooo docile. I think all our cows are bred b/c he stands in the corner of one fence and bellows over to the neighbor's open holstein heifers. He's worn 2 spots bare in the corner of the pasture. The neighbor just asked me yesterday if all the cows were bred b/c he appears to be a bit bored!

• chickadee_42us
    18 years ago

Erin, I know how it feels to get connected to the bull. Ours is also so docile that you forget to be alert. He gets right up to you and you turn around and bam, there he is looking at you as if to say, what's your problem? We are getting a lot of spotted color calves from him. He is colored like a hereford and he has a massive head!
    Good luck on the new home and imagine this winter when things are really cold, wet and miserable, the house will only be a short distance away after feeding and looking the herd over.
    Roxann.