Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sullicorbitt

My new chicken 'Dorathy' and her portrait :)

sullicorbitt
18 years ago

Here is our new girl Dorathy

{{gwi:33995}}

Here is my latest painting that I just finished this weekend.

{{gwi:33996}}

Comments (8)

• erinluchsinger
    18 years ago

Holy crap you're talented! I'd love to send you a picture of our beloved Lucy for you to paint! That portrait is amazing.
    Erin

• tressa
    18 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!!!!

• mamacotti
    18 years ago

Hmm...Sheila, when I saw your painting I gasped so hard I think I inhaled a bug!!!

The painting is gorgeous (as is the subject), but I'm afraid it just may kill me! Do you do commissions? (is that even the correct terminology???)

Suzie

• sullicorbitt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Suzie,
    you are too funny! thanks for the compliment :-) . I actually have an outdoor art exhibit tomorrow that I will be entering Dorathy's painting in for competition. The painting as posted here isn't showing up as well (in the photo) as it does in life, it really has much more depth to it. Yes I do commission jobs and oddly enough most of them seem to be of my clients pets...horses, dogs, cats.

I wish I had more chicken space in our coop because there are so many other varieties I'd love to have and being able to paint them is just a side perk!

-Sheila

Here is a link that might be useful: My Artwork

• boopster
    18 years ago

Oh wow!!! very nice, you are indeed very talented. Looking at your site, I noticed you had a pic of Sandwich beach:) As a child my father was stationed at Otis as well as Westover AFB, and we spent quite a bit of time at Sandwich beach, very nice memories. I see you have some pics of sheep and Border collies as well, ohhhhhhh, that could be dangerous for me LOL, I may be tempted to commission a pic of my kids :0 Do you give discounts to Garden Web buddies LOL.

• sullicorbitt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Boobster, the Cape is one of my favorite places to be, we live about an hour+1/2 from Sandwich and love to go down there for the day. I spent my summers in South Dennis where my grama lived (not far from Sandwich) so I share your found memories.

As for "Dorathy", she won 2nd place in an art show I was in yesterday! she was a fun conversation lead in to my chicken obsession too!

-Sheila

• undercover_owl
    18 years ago

Chickens are the "hot" new trend in art these days, I've noticed.
    For good reason... chickens are countryish & charming. In the '80s it was black & white spotted cows, but chicken art is on the rise now. You could sell that painting, sullicorbitt.

Dorathy is a pretty hen, BTW.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

I love your painting AND the real thing.Those are such beautiful feathers.I once bought a ceramic red hen and painted it like that.WHAT a chore.I sold it in my antique booth.