Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FINALLY!!!! birth announcement! (c;

Posted by Lesli8 8TX (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 24, 05 at 21:13

Well we just got a little bull (I think-haven't got to look him over really good yet) yippey it is over!! looks healthy, eating already, she is ok, delivered afterbirth completely and ate it all already, sigh ... glad it is over!!! Now for the real work...

Image link: FINALLY!!!! birth announcement! (c; (55 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FINALLY!!!! birth announcement! (c;

My goodness, that calf better nurse his mama before she explodes! He's such a big boy! Gonna be a monster if he drinks all that milk, too. I hope you plan on taking some for yourselves! Congratulations!

o

He looks like a huge calf. Isn't he half grown already?????

o

Just a couple of hours old, perhaps it is the angle of the camera, he might go 75 pounds, but I'd say 65 lbs. ? maybe I am way off? Not like a full beef calf, but not tiny though.

We went back to the cow pen to check on everybody and they are doing great. She really loves him and talks to him a lot. Never noticed a Mama talking to baby that much before. Hubby said he never noticed it much before either. She has a completely different voice talking to her baby, kinda cool.

o

I think you've already answered this question, but I'm too lazy to search for the answer...
What on earth was she bred to? his color is sooo odd. Are you going to steer him and beef him? I'm sure you're aware that Jersey bulls are the nastiest out there. But he certainly doesn't look very much like a Jersey! He is cute, though.
We steered all our bull calves (hereford/red angus), and now we're regretting steering one of them. He's huge, beautiful and very well mannered (thus far). He's all red and would probably throw red babies if bred to a red angus.
Sorry for rambling, just curious to know that little guy's lineage.
Erin

o

He was bred to a charlias (sp?) And favors him the most. We probably will raise him till around 6 mos and take him to market, charlais and crosses are bringing a lot around here right now.

o

Congratulations on your new calf Lesli! Bet you were getting as sick of waiting as the cow. He is a little beauty. I love his mellow coloring and mom obviously adores him. Well done!

o

Erin, just found out something--Our little "Buster" is actually not Charolais, but Simmental (sp?) The owner had a simmental bull before the charolais and that is what he looks like so I guess that is what he is. He didn't get the Charolais till right before we got our Daisy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here