Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erinluchsinger

New addition to the family

erinluchsinger
18 years ago

Well, DH finally gave in to a cat b/c the mice seem to be wanting to reside in our house. So, I got her from the local SPCA this week. $35, and that included spaying (they did it a few months ago), current vaccine and a free visit to the vet! Can't go wrong. So far so good. She uses her litter box in the basement faithfully and figured out the cat door into the house w/in minutes. She'll be venturing outside later in the week. She shows tons of interest in fake mice, and I haven't seen a mouse since she entered the house! So far so good. And she puts up with Oliver's "loving", and Lucy the dog's curiousity (well, a random swat here and there, but it's smoothing out quite nicely).

I named her Nora and she's a love bug!

{{gwi:34046}}
{{gwi:34047}}
{{gwi:34048}}

Comments (9)

• dighappy
    18 years ago

Erin, She's a beauty. Be careful cause they are addictive....I started with just one teeny tiny kitten that showed up here sick as a dog. Now I have 4 inside and 1 outside (she sleeps in a heated bed in the garage) and another one that I have not been able to catch to have neutered. Poor DH is scared to death that I will become a 'cat lady' but I informed him that you have to have at least 10 cats inside to qualify. Glad to hear that Lucy has accepted her and visa versa. Now only if it was as easy to come up with a solution for those darn 5 lb. spiders that are starting to come in.

• broodyjen
    18 years ago

What a beautiful cat! It sounds like she's adjusting to having a home, and your home is adjusting to having a cat. Good luck with her (and you'll be glad you got her, even if she doesn't catch any mice!)

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh! I have a fairly 'new' adoptee named Nora too. Her brother was named Nick, after the spies or private eye Tv characters of the 50's. Long black fur, but a stubby short tail we have come to adore. She is a wonderful, middle aged addition to the menagerie. If something is purring at about 500 decibels and bumping her head into your calf: it's Nora!

Congratulations Erin, Oliver is lucky indeed to have so many animals to grow up around.

• erinluchsinger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! She really is beautiful. Her left ear is crimped over, and I figured it was just from a fight years ago. But while inspecting her, I found a dime sized hematoma in her ear. Took her to the vet yesterday and he said not to worry about it b/c it' on the tip of her ear. I have the best small animal vet. He never pushing you on anything you don't need, which is refreshing from a small animal vet!
    DH has control over the animal numbers in the house. We will forever be at one cat and one dog. He's not really an animal person, but rather a HUGE clean freak. So, animals aren't his forte. He loves the cat and Lucy, but he'd be just as happy if they both disappeared tomorrow!

• ccox
    18 years ago

Erin, what ever happened to your barn cat, Oliver. I know he disappeared while you were trying to figure out what to tell your grandparents. Did he ever come back?
    Nora, btw, is a beauty. Your Dh and mine could be brothers. i would desperately love to have a house full of just about anything breathing, but we are a one dog/one cat household also. Bah, humbug!
    Carla

• erinluchsinger
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oliver the cat is around and doing well. I completely lied to my grandparents and said I knew nothing about him... I went so far as to say that he probably came from the neighboring farm b/c they have so many! I'm probably going to hell, but that was already coming!
    He's VERY skiddish. I can't get w/in 20 or 30 feet of him. But he's around everytime I'm down there and I've spotten him eating the cat food that grandma puts out! I almost slipped and told them that he was neutered, but I caught myself! They don't even know if it's male or female b/c they can't get very close to him. Grandpa named him "Bobby" b/c of his bobtail.
    And I have to just go on about Nora. I've never had a better cat. She doesn't get on the counters, she uses the litter box, she's incredible w/ the dog and Oliver. Infact, Lucy and Nora were both sharing the same dog bed last night! She's awesome. Kudos to the SPCA for pointing me in the right direction!

• Poochella
    18 years ago

Here's my version of a Nora: I love her extremely furry paws, and extremely furry everything! Pay no attention to the terribly worn chair, she loves it and was basking about 5 ft from a roaring woodstove.
    {{gwi:34049}}

Here she is with her pointy nose, stubby fluffy tail and henna highlights to all black fur. She is the friendliest cat with the loudest purr ever. And yes, that really is dirt on my carpet: it's dahlia digging season and house cleaning comes second.
    {{gwi:34051}}

Check out Nora's pointy nose helping me with an overgrown clump of dahlias. I've never seen a cat with a pointier nose!
    {{gwi:34052}}

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

Erin, Nora sure looks like she's settled in and feeling relaxed already. She must be very, very happy!

• sullicorbitt
    18 years ago

Erin, congrats on Nora, she is beautiful! so glad to hear that she has found a good home with you. She sounds like she was meant to be :)

Poochella, I thought your pictures were more of Erins Nora, what an amazing coincidence? They look so much alike and share the same name. They both look equally spoiled rotten :) just the way it should be. Thanks for sharing.

-Sheila

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio