Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justruss_gw

Need Help with hurt chicken....

justruss
16 years ago

Hi all... I have learned alot from all of you but have yet to post.... well, now I am going to reach out to you. My son went out this morning to gather eggs and do morning feeding and found one of our 22 chicks that are about 2 months old now, bleeding above her rear end... He of course panicked and came running in to get me. When I went out to see, I really did not expect it to be bad as my son is a little drama king. Well, this time he had reason to be. We had one little chick that came with all these from Ideal Poultry with a crooked leg. We did not catch that until a few weeks later. She is very happy, they all have gotten along great and has no problems getting around at all. I am not sure how the wound got there, but when I got in there, I noticed all the other chicks were pecking at the sore and it was open and bleeding. I was running late for work and told my wife to bring her in the house and put it in a box. She seems to be fine, not acting funny still has a great appetite and drinking water. I am sure that it has to hurt but if it were not for the obvious blood and cut on her, you would not know that anything is wrong. My question is, what can I put on it to help heal and not get infected? My first initial thoughts when I found her were to put her out of her misery with her leg already being bad and all, but I know I was wrong to think that, especially since I see how well she seems to be tonight outside of that cut. Please do not critisize if I handled this wrong. I am looking for some advice and do not claim by any stretch to be a chicken expert. Thanks in advance for any help...

Comments (5)