Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendan_of_bonsai

What is the friendliest dual purose chicken?

brendan_of_bonsai
15 years ago

I'm looking to get some hens to lay eggs for me next year, while I'm living in Anchorage Alaska (that means the bird needs a small comb) but I want them to be friendly too, since they will also be pets, in addition to this once they stop being productive they are headed to the soup pot so a dual purpose is probably called for. I'll be getting half a dozen of them in may probably, or a dozen or two and culling down to 6 (both for legal reasons and so I don't spend a fortune on feed for eggs I cant possibly eat), and I really want something more interesting than a Buff Orpington. Quiet is also a good thing, since they will be in midtown, also a more natural coloration is probably a good idea since an eagle or great horned owl could swoop down into the yard and take them away.

Thanks for your input.

~Brendan

Comments (7)

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I found my ISA Browns (Sex Sal Link) to be the friendliest chickens I ever had. I could pick up any chicken at any time . Friends couldn't believe how we could all stand aound holding chickens in our arms while we were talking about them. They are red and lay large brown eggs. Mine never even slowed down for the winter. They were in an unheated house with temps dropping down to mid -30s regularly. And no frozen combs.Made sure they had lots of fresh water and collected eggs a few times a day.And of course lots of straw on the floor.I did give them a few hours of extra light with a just a light bulb as the days are only about 7:30 hrs long.

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

May I suggest the Ameracauna. They have small combs, make an interestingly colored egg shell, have enuff body mass to help take inclement weather and are available in several standard varieties.

be warned, many catalogs sell what they call Ameracaunas, easter egger chickens and/or whatever. Mostly they are just cross breds which make shades of blue egg shells. Ameracauna is a standard breed, produces in like and are SUPPOSED to lay eggs with blue shell colors.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How well do Americauna's fly with out tails? They may need to take short flights to get up and away from a fox or other similar predator.

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

Doesn't sound like you have an ideal situation for a few hens...I suspect they won't last long unless they are in a varmit proof pen.

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

I'd suggest looking at the Chantecler breed. There are whites, buff and partridge. I have Buffs, which you might not find interesting since they look just like Buff Orps but with no comb or wattles to speak of. They are considered dual-breeds, though not having eaten meat in a long time, I keep them only for eggs.

This breed originated in Quebec, bred for the cold. I got my first flock of them 4 years ago and find them to be very calm and quiet. Since I have only hens, the only "noise" is the occasional excited clucking announcing a newly laid egg. They are friendly birds and during their "free-range" periods when I'm home, it's not unusual for one to hop up on my lap while I'm sitting on the lawn chair, avoiding work.

Wayne

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

brendan, I think you are confusing 'Americaunas' with 'Aracaunas', which lots of people do. Aracaunas are the rarer, rumpless birds with the HUGE facial tufts, Americaunas are the ones that lay colored eggs, have tails and smaller facial tufts.

Wyandottes and Barred Rocks may also be a consideration for dual-purpose breeds. But be prepared--any chicken you keep for 'eggs and pets' you are going to get attached to, and it'll be tougher to put them in the stew pot! :)

Velvet ~:>

• brendan_of_bonsai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes there is a strong possibility that I will loose some to varmints, I've lost chickens before, I live a block from a green belt and I'm not willing to raise birds in any way other than free range, I'm not about keeping them cooped up during the day, at night they will be very well protected from everything but bears.

I like the idea of wyandottes, it occurs to be that I should (if I can) aim for more than one breed, and possibly get one in white, so that some of them are protected from winter predators.

As for putting a pet in the stew pot I think I'll be okay with that, I don't anthropomorphise much, and come from a farming family, but tthanks for the concern.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH