Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laying Chickens

Posted by happyhelper none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 8:02

I am wondering when I should replace my laying hens.
They were hatched in the Spring of 2011. I have 25 hens that are consistantly laying 12 to 14 eggs a day. Since it is winter I think they are doing fine with that amount. Last summer, they were laying from 18 to 23 eggs per day. I do plan to add another 25 chickens next Spring but am wondering how long I keep the older ones.
Helen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laying Chickens

Usually at least 2 years. Do you have supplemental light for them this winter? They need at least 10 hours, I think, to keep laying.

o

One of our birds lived 11 years and she layed up until about the last two years. Most commercial concerns rotate their stock more frequently, say every few years. But their chickens are in battery cages, and not free range. I've been told when their legs get real white they are getting older and will not lay as much. I've also been told that if you can stick your finger by their pelvic bone you can see if it has room for an egg, or whether it's grown closer together, from not laying. I haven't tried it. Chickens don't really start laying in earnest until their 2nd spring.

o

commercial egg producers will have them for a year after they start laying. then they will start to molt and they get rid of them. day length does influence them and can make them lay alot longer. for the big boys the economics does't work out. i think that for a home farm three years"after they start laying" would be about right. having said that i'll also tell you that i had a chicken that i believe thought i was it's mother, followed me everywhere and hopped onto me whenever she could. she died of old age and it didn't matter to me if she was laying or not

o

Thanks for the your thoughts. Our chickens are a joy to us. I love to see them pecking and digging all over. I did see that during our last snowfall, they didn't go out at all. Guess they don't like snow. We have an indoor area for them that has two heat lamps and a regular bulb. There are roosting vines inside and also outside. The outside area is enclosed with a roof over it. Grape vines attached to the top gives them an area to roost outside also. The door is left open in the day so they can free-range.
It sounds as if we can keep our chickens another year or two before we need to replace them. We are not a commercial operation by any means but have several people coming to buy our eggs each week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here