Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_liny

New to chicken keeping

sharon_liny
10 years ago

Hi All!

I have 4 hens( 2 buff Orps, 1 australorp, and a red star) that will be a year old in July. This is the first winter with our girls and I'm a little concerned...

My Question....we are suppose to get 8-10" of snow over night tonight and then the temp is suppose to go down to about 5 degrees over night on Saturday.

I have a small coop, very small..(a kit) one that isn't big enough to safely put a lamp in, I have put plastic around the wire part of the run to block the wind, leaving an inch open at the top for ventilation. I have straw and wood shavings in the bottom of the "House" or what my kids call "their bedroom" and in the nesting boxes. I was told to put a little Vaseline on their combs and waddles to protect them from frostbite....
is there anything I could and/or should do to protect them from the extreme cold that's coming? I do have an old heating pad that I can put on low in the house at night, but not sure if I should....any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!
Sharon

Comments (3)

• englishivy
    10 years ago

I would put the vaseline on there combs to help with that. They will huddle together and help keep each other warm. I have raised chickens before and never had them to die from freezing to death. If you don't feel safe with a heat lamp what about just a regular light bulb in there to help. Thats what baby chicks like is a little heat from just a light bulb. It can get pretty warm just from that. I don't see how they could benefit from a heating pad except just poop all over it. If you have some hay you could stuff it really good in there even if it is kind of sung for them. They can tolerate pretty cold temps but if it was just one or two I would be more concerned. I used to raise buff orphingtons and they were my favorite chickens of all. They are so easy going and not hyper like the other breeds and they lay good large brown eggs. I use to put just a little braggs apple cider vinegar in there water and they just loved it.

• englishivy
    10 years ago

I would put the vaseline on there combs to help with that. They will huddle together and help keep each other warm. I have raised chickens before and never had them to die from freezing to death. If you don't feel safe with a heat lamp what about just a regular light bulb in there to help. Thats what baby chicks like is a little heat from just a light bulb. It can get pretty warm just from that. I don't see how they could benefit from a heating pad except just poop all over it. If you have some hay you could stuff it really good in there even if it is kind of sung for them. They can tolerate pretty cold temps but if it was just one or two I would be more concerned. I used to raise buff orphingtons and they were my favorite chickens of all. They are so easy going and not hyper like the other breeds and they lay good large brown eggs. I use to put just a little braggs apple cider vinegar in there water and they just loved it.

• ed1315
    10 years ago

I always used a 2X2 for a roost this way they can sit on their feet to keep them warm. Buffs are great cold weather birds, my problem was always racoons. don't know if i want too mess with chickens anymore.