Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seramas

Bobwhite's are out singing (crowing)

seramas
15 years ago

Mr Q, our jumbo Bobwhite, has been singing most of the winter. Being in the greenhouse thinks it is spring because the night time temperature drops to 35-38F and during the day it will get to 45F (at that temp the exhaust fans will kick-in to prevent the temperature from getting to 100F--greenhouse effect-even on cloudy days).

Went to the mailbox to send a letter and Mr Q's siblings (the ones that decided to live in the wild) decided to pay me a visit. They flew onto the driveway about 4' away. The males were chasing each other around, stopping to call out 'Bob White' then back to the chase. It is truly amazing how loud those tiny birds can blast 'Bob White' the way they do. It is good to see them surviving so far in this harsh winter weather.

Now if groundhog day comes off without a shadow spring is near--if not we'll have waite 6 more weeks. Seems we always have to waite 6 week.

Comments (6)

• msmitoagain
    15 years ago

Hey Seramas,

That's great. Sometimes when we go fishing you can hear the males hollering for the females. My husband has whistled to them and they have actually flown over the water and circled our boat looking for the lady that answered him.

They are beautiful birds. We have a few around our house.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

That's fantastic to hear, I don't suppose that there is any chance of us getting you to make a recording of your birds singing, I personally really enjoy that kind of thing.

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This link has professionally recorded song that is much clearer than anything I could do with my equipment.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Bob White'

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Cool! :) My chickens are just starting the get properly twitterpated for Spring, and the local sparrows have CLEARLY lost their marbles, like the do every year. The way they chase and chatter, and swirl all around people, just oblivious to them, is a scream.

Can't wait for about two months from now, when we break out the incubators and the webcam again!

Velvet ~:>

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I didn't know they could live in the cold north! I'm going to start looking for some here in the spring. It's great that you have a greenhouse with a bird living in it. Great idea! I'm hoping to build a greenhouse this summer.

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When keeping animals (especially birds) in greenhouses, when the sun is shining (even on cloudy days) it can get to 120F in a very short time-even when it is -20F (greenhouse effect). I use 2 discarded furnace squirrel cage fans mounted on the outside about 6' above the ground on one end of a 12'W-12'H-50'L greenhouse. On the opposite end of the greenhouse there are 4 openings (6"H x 12"W) covered with 1/2" hardware cloth fastened on the outside with a wooden frame(keeps out unwanted guests) and each opening has an inside door that can seal the opens and easily opened when needed. The 2 (nearest to the top as possible) upper doors are opened to exhaust hot air and the bottom doors (nearest the ground) are used to exhaust the ammonia odor that birds produce.

During the day the upper 2 doors are opened and the fans turned on if temps get too high (75F) summer and (40F) winter (I'm keeping only birds in it currently). While fans are on the entrance doors are kept closed raising the air pressure up on the inside forcing the hot air out the top doors. If ammonia odor is noticed the top doors are closed and lower ones opened (ammonia is heavier that regular air). Turing the fans on will force the ammonia out in a short period of time-again, be sure the entrance is closed.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville