Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cement floor

Posted by anicee 5a (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 11:30

I was advised that a cement floor in a chicken coop is ideal. I live in Nova Scotia where the temperature can be quite cold in the winter and quite hot in the summer. For cleaning purposes also it is supposed to be the best.

For those who have a coop....what kind of floor do you have and are you happy with it?

Thank you!

Anicee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cement floor

a cement floor is ideal if you can clean it every day. when installed it also should be made very smooth and not "brushed" it will be more slippery but brushing it will leave to many places for bacteria to live. any concrete person will tell you what i am talking about.if it were me i would install a wire floor for the chickens to walk on and have concrete for myself to walk on. a flat hard surface i also believe will lead to foot problems. if you watch a chicken close you will see they use there feet just like hands. do you know why a bird sleeping in a tree doesn't fall out?

o
RE: Cement floor

Thank you Krtl for this info.

Anicee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here