Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water driven water pump

Posted by growernut 4/5 NEBR (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 4, 07 at 11:57

Hi all, i'm trying to figure out a way to pump water using a water wheel. here is what i'm trying to do. i have a small creek running on the edge of my property and a pond in the middle of my property. i want to use a water wheel to pump water from the creek into my pond. i will have to lift the water about 20 feet. i looked at some "spiral" type pumps on the internet but not really what i'm after. i'm after more like and old windmill type pump but i need pressure to get it to rise. just wondered if anyone had anything like this.
thanks
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water driven water pump

I don't know much about pumps, but there are several new solar water pumps on the market, one that I've seen in action, and it seems to work well. I've considered using it to pump from my stream too, when the time comes for me to fence near that area.

This is one of the less expensive units that I've seen, although I don't know if others are more powerful.

Here is a link that might be useful: solar pump

o

A lot of it depends on the volume of water you want to pump
and at what pressure. If just filling a pond is the goal
then the pressure is a mute point.

The other variable is the power available from the stream.
This is based on head and flow calculations.

I have almost exactly the same situation you do.
The Sequatchie River forms the eastern border of our property.
I want to pump water from the river up to the house,
about a 20 feet elevatiion. Use the water for irrigation
and to fill a small swimming pool.

Pooh Bear

o

If your creek is deep enough and constantly flowing, the sling pump is probably your best bet: proven(since the time of Archimedes!), low-tech, effective, and relatively inexpensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rife sling pump

o

There is a variety of pump called a ram pump, or water-ram pump. While I don't now remember the exact principles nor the plans, it uses the force of the water flow itself to supply the power for moving water from one place to another. While it might not be able to be used in this situation, if you google for plans and details, I am sure you will find some. It would have the advantage of cost, since you would only need to buy/find the parts - it is 'self-powered', after all. The sling pump might be a variation on this...., already set up.

o

I recently posted the same question on another forum before I found this thread. I've found very little about using a waterwheel to power a low rpm water pump, but here is what I've found:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=21122

Any progress?

Here is a link that might be useful: Post on another forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here