Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrier1

How To: Attaching corrugated fiberglass to hoop house

blueberrier1
14 years ago

For several years, have successfully housed chickens in a cattle panel hoop house built on former pop-up camper base. A few months ago, a bobcat (or two), discovered that the two layers of polycanvass were vulnerable and fun to shred. Fortunately, I had covered the hoophouse with chicken wire mesh after attaching 2' band of 1/2" hardware cloth around the base/perimeter. No chickens were lost to the cat/s.

Would like to use this hoophouse again for the new chicks, and thought that there must be an efficient way to attach the fiberglass so the ridges are parallel to the ground.

Has anyone done this? Ideas? I would like to place the fiberglass on the outside of the panels. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

blueberrier1,

How about strips of wood on the inside of the horse panel and screw through the plastic into them. I would use the screws with the rubber gaskets. Put a strip where the fiberglass over lap and one in the middle. Screw through the valleys not the ridge tops. I would also run the screws close to the wire so the plastic doesn't crack.

{{gwi:34498}}

Hope this makes sense.

Eric

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

Don't know if this helps or not, but they make a pre cut piece of wood that is cut to fit flush against the corrugate panel. I've seen them at Lowe's or HD.

Luke

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

Luke,

Wiggle wood would work on the outside of the horse panel, but how to attach it to the wire. My first thought is fence staples. The cedar wiggle wood might split.

Eric

• doninalaska
    14 years ago

I use the method Eric mentioned above screwing into a wood piece with washered screws. I use silicone caulk as well under the washer and use the screw to pull it into the hole. I want mine to be as waterproof as possible. Maybe wigglewood molding with a couple holes at intervals would work--just use wire or cable ties to secure the molding through the fiberglass to the wire or pipe underneath. That might be the sturdiest of all, but expense of the molding might be an issue if it is a big hoophouse.

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you! The corrugated wooden strips I have seen would require kerfing. Like your sketch, Eric. I think that I could use a horizontal wood strip every 10-12"...attached with those wire ties.

After attaching the panels, was thinking that a few strands of #9 wire from the base of one side, over the arch (16'-full panel), to the base on the other side, may add strength...or is that excess?

doninalaska, sounds like you have done this for your needs. How much did you overlap the panels? This hoophouse will be used in a windy area. I like to locate the open front to the south (a modified Wood's open-air poultry shelter). The north side will be tarped with chicken wire over, or smooth Polymax type panels, I noticed in the recent Farmtek Growers Catalog. Overall goal is to renovate and not have to do so for many years.

Do not plan to order the chicks, until project is complete!

• doninalaska
    14 years ago

We, too, have windstorms, but I am not in a real windy area. I try to overlap a foot if I can, but I have done with six inches, depending on what I can afford and what panels are available here. I have mostly switched to acrylic panels as they seem more durable, but are more subject to overheating even here when the sun is bright. When I used mostly fiberglass, I often threw ropes and/or ratchet straps over the top (you can use the ratchets to keep the ropes taught) when the winds picked up in the winter, as I had trouble with winds occasionally tearing off a panel. I used a rope about every four feet along the length.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

bluberrier1,

I'd order your chicks sooner than later. They will be in a brooder box for a month or more. 6 months before the first egg. Plenty of time to build the coop-de-ville

Eric

• velvet_sparrow
    14 years ago

Coop-de-ville... :)

My husband used staggered steel 2x4's to attach metal corrugated sheeting as a roof for our chicken run, pics here:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickCoop.htm

He used expansion foam to fill the gaps to keep rodents out. It's all been in use for about two years and is holding up perfectly.

Velvet ~:>

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz