Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hens turn out to be Roosters

Posted by naparainer CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 13:05

Two of three chicks that joined our city flock in July are turning out to be roosters - a Buff Orpington and a Giant Black Jersey. They are both cool pets and very tame - yet we can't keep them, since we live within city limits. What to do? We don't just want to give them to someone that may turn them into their next dinner...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hens turn out to be Roosters

Dang it, that very same thing happened to me this past summer. My husband is deployed or the extra roos would have found their way to our freezer...I didn't have the heart to do it by myself. As it was, a friend of a friend also raises chickens and her and her husband came and got all the extras. They were driving the hens crazy and one in particular was becoming mean. They were going to butcher them with their next batch. Sounds like that isn't an option for you, could you advertise in the paper or on a "party line?" I've found in my own experience that it is hard to find a home for a pet roo, even if the people raise chickens anyway. Let us know how it turns out. Lori

o

You should (if already you haven't) try contacting Feed Stores in and around your area. Out of 3 that I have here, locally, one of them will take all "unwanted" chickens/roosters. They have outdoor "dog runs" equipped for housing them and they are Free to whomever wants them.
It may be worth it...who knows :)

Regards,
Tawny ... aka tawnypolito

o

Two sweet chicks hatched here last Labor Day. It now appears they are both cockerels. I have one adult rooster who has become aggressive. But, like you, I keep them as pets and so the prospect of having them dispatched is not high on my list.

A year or so ago I did have to ask my farmer friend to remove one from my flock and that was difficult for me, but it did help the demeanor of the barn. (http://www.busysolitudefarm.com/2009/03/dominion.html)

It is nearly impossible to find people who will take a rooster to keep alive. Almost always they take a free rooster because they are going to eat him.

I think we all have to recognize that in most farm animal worlds, the females are what are kept and the vast majority of males are eaten. Or castrated.

Sorry not to be helpful.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Busy Solitude Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here