Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_wa

Pork in a petri dish

eric_wa
14 years ago

Hello,

Take a look at the link below. What do you think about this.

"LONDON - Call it pork in a petri dish  a technique to turn pig stem cells into strips of meat that scientists say could one day offer a green alternative to raising livestock, help alleviate world hunger, and save some pigs their bacon."

Could or would vegetarians eat this. How about Old Testament followers.

I know politics and religion are not allowed here. Maybe you can reply without either. I don't know.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork

Comments (9)

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

Star Trek

I wouldnt even know where this would stand religiously or moraly.

Is it even safe, we all cant even decide or agree if GM crops are safe or moraly right, let alone petri dish meat.
    josh

• eric_wa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Josh,

Star Trek? This is not science fiction. This wrong in so many ways.

The article talks about saving millions of hogs, how about more jobs lost. No longer need hog farmers. Add to the 10% unemployment.

Eric

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

But there will be jobs building the hog factories, and jobs working on hog factory floors, and jobs writing new petri hog recipes and the like. In the end there may be fewer jobs in pork, but the market will expand to take them up, as prices fall people buy more and more people get jobs. It is fascinating how markets flux and change.

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

I wasnt making lite of it eric, it was more sarcasm, as to what will they think of next, I toaly agree with you 100 percent.
    josh

• brendasue
    14 years ago

When will all of this crazy talk and lunatic thinking stop? Given enough time we will destroy life as we know it, as it has evolved naturally. Thank goodness for those genetic capturing/storing facilities for both plants and animals. I fear sooner rather than later we will need those genetics, if we as a race survive.

I didn't read the link, the topic was all I needed to know it was not a good thing. Would I purchase that crap? No. The mindless sheeple can have it.

Brendasue
    Btw I was being nice, deleted what I formerly typed.

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

Well who in their right mind would consume such a thing? Either out of the gross factor or morals? I don't mean to offend but that is just how I feel about it. I don't mind soy products packaged to look like hamburger patties and the like but if you are going to eat a meat product, eat MEAT. If you are that sensitive about it, seek out the farms that raise their animals in a humane way and where the animals have good lives prior to becoming part of the food chain.
    Science is a wonderful thing and I'm very partial and interested in it. I think there is a lot of things we can do to help people suffering from horrid diseases by the study and application of science. I am opposed to the time and money spent on developing a pig in a petri dish when we have pigs and they are not endangered! I guess I should shut up. Lori

• trianglejohn
    14 years ago

It's only a matter of time. Regardless of how we feel about it, things will change. Mistakes will be made.

In the beginning I imagine it will cost more to grow pork in a lab than it will to grow pork on the hoof but eventually they will master how to create meat without all the mess of raising animals. It would be nice to think that when that day comes that it will help bring an end to world hunger - but a part of me thinks that if humans are in charge it will only help out the upper crust of our society.

Out there, on the rest of this planet, there are people that are profoundly malnourished. They need protein.

• brendasue
    14 years ago

Oh I agree there are places that may want/need the so called **petri nutrition**. And yes they need food & tools/knowledge to feed their families.

My only comment is, if the population cannot feed itself with the numbers it currently has, and is multiplying under these circumstances/malnutrition, what will happen when we are all happily fed on petri food, will there be 4 times the population? Is that sustainable?

I'm not really looking for an answer or a debate, but really at some point I feel birth control should be practiced to prevent issues rather than continue to put the fire out, generation after generation.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

Counterintuitively enough increases the population growth rate. With a little bit of carbohydrates the female reproductive system can kick into gear (the male system rarely stops). With starvation there is no education and there is a motivation to have a dozen kids to ensure that at least one or two live to be adults.

About perverting nature as it evolved, this is just another technology that is evolving along with nature, there will be reshuffling and then it will all fit again, not only is nature resilient, if it fails a new nature pops up, in most kinds of failure that is.