Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to store ONE bale of hay without a barn

Posted by modern_miss 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 14:11

I need to get creative about how to store one bale of hay (for rabbits) and keep it clean and dry over the winter. I do not have a barn or shed or any type of enclosure (or the money to buy one).
I know I can get a shipping pallet and I have room for it in the yard. Should I put the bale directly on the pallet or put a plastic tarp down on the pallet and then put the bale on the tarp? I just need to figure out how to prevent water from getting under the bale...Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to store ONE bale of hay without a barn

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 16:46

Buy one of these http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091418

o

• Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 16:57

Mice will be your bigget problem just covering the bale up with a tarp. They will build nest and have babies in the hay with just a tarp on it.

o

We have the same problem. I have used a pallet, and then plywood, then bermuda, then tarp, with water bottles to tie down the edges. We don't get a lot of snow here, but mice are always a problem. We use the hay for bedding for our chickens. I have been trying to buy less than a bale from our feed store, but the shake is all spoken for. We will have to get a bale soon, and that is probably how it will be stored. We don't have a barn.

o

Treasurificgal,
Thanks for your suggestion. I think I will try that. But what's bermuda?

o

What size bale are you trying to store? 40 - 50 lb.? Buy a large garbage tote with a lid and put it in there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here