Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvet_sparrow

Help, My Resolve Is Crumbling!

velvet_sparrow
14 years ago

Salmon Favorelles. Giant Cochins. Belgian d'Uccles. Silkies. Light Brahmas. All fertile hatching eggs, all for sale on ebay.

These ebayers must be stopped. Sadly, I'm not going to be the one to stop them, it seems.

*sigh*

So Chickam may be starting early this year, around the third week of February if all goes well. Science. Science? Science! That's it, SCIENCE! I'm hatching chicken eggs for SCIENCE!

Yeah, my brain will buy that. It's easily distracted by shiny objects and baby chickens...

Velvet ~:>

Comments (10)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    14 years ago

I'm lost, but I read science, so I figured I'd ask for more information.

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

brendan of bonsai,

I also say, Huh? Apparently chickam is a type of chicken voyeurism. LOL :~) Not sure why it's science.

Eric

• brendasue
    14 years ago

It's okay velvet. Take a deep breath. Science is a good thing.
    Turn the lights on longer, add more layer pellets, Squeeze um a bit if you have to, lock them in the nesting boxes, and start the Chickam.

Noone will ever guess you have an addiction, lol.
    Brendasue

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry guys. *L* Chickam is the live web broadcast we do every year of our chicken eggs as they hatch. We number the eggs with big numbers so people can pick out their favorite and egg it on (sorry) as they hatch, then once the chicks dry out we place them and the cam in the brooder box for a couple of weeks so people can watch the chicks romp.

It's been VERY popular (300,000+ viewers worldwide), we've been doing it for a few years now. We have chat going while the hatch is happening and answer questions about how chicks develop, the Frizzle gene, genetics, how the chicks know when it's time and HOW to hatch...you know, science stuff! People who have never thought of chickens are hooked on it and I've converted several people to being chicken owners. :)

This year I'm actually ordering some eggs online, so I can expand my flock a bit and get some of the breeds I've always wanted. Hello, Giant Cochins! *G*

Squeezing hens, Brendasue? tsk, tsk. *evil grin*

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

It is OK Velvet. I need you to take a deep breath and step away from the Ebay site;) Or not, who am I to talk when I've already put in my order for spring? Yea, no help here, LOL. Lori

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

Velvet,
    If anyone deserved more chickens, it's you! Those are some lucky Giant Colchins! Now I'm going to go google Giant Colchins to see what they look like. Maybe I need to place an order . . . . Ye gods, it's catching!

• eric_wa
    14 years ago

velvet, How about a duckam. Ducks are science too.

{{gwi:34690}}

quack

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eric, you do the ducks! Everybody loves ducklings!

marlingardener, don't say I didn't warn you! Giant Cochins are for you if you like tall, BIG chickens the size of large dogs. I always liked the breed, but when I saw them at the fair a few years back, I was smitten. Totally.

If you REALLY want trouble, get a look at the faces of Salmon Favorelles and Quail Bantams (Barbu d'Anvers). I have such a THING for the fluffy faced breeds...

I now have the Salmon Favs, 3 colors of Giant Cochins and 4 of Belgian d'Uccles lined up, the eggs will be here next week. I'm gonna love seeing Giant Cochin and d'Uccle chicks all together...hopefully it won't be a stomping, if it is I'll have to separate them for a week or so till the d'Uccles grow up a little! *L*

In my own defense, the Cochins and Favorelles ARE on the American Heritage Breeds Conservancy list of endangered breeds...so I'm supporting the continuation of the breeds!

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

I'm with Eric, you should do a duckam!! Seriously, is there any way to notify us when the hatch is imminent? I know that is misspelled. I'm very busy but would love to watch that if given a day or two notice. Lori

• velvet_sparrow
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure! I plan on starting the eggs on Friday, February 5th around noon, that would make the hatch date 21 days later, on Friday the 26th of February. Of course, realizing that Mother Nature has her OWN way of doing things, you need to give or take 24 hours in either direction! Last years' hatch was 24 hours early. I just can't do ducks though--they are way too messy for me. :(

I'll start a thread here as soon as I see eggs rocking or hear peeping. Also, here is the page with viewers and links to the Chickam sites. We sometimes test the cam in the days before the hatch, pointing it at the existing flock--but if you tune in and see eggs, hatch is imminent! :)

http://chickam.jackshenhouse.com/chickam.html

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor