Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Free Range Chickens

Posted by jjaazzy 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 15:08

So I have been doing some research on Chickens and I would like to get some. I am thinking about getting some of the fancy types so maybe I could sell the chicks. I would like to let the chickens have full run of the property. We will have 20 acres soon. When I was younger by BF's family had some chickens and I know they ran around during the day cleaning the paddocks and stuff but if given an area to go at night do they just do that by themselves. Should I provide a place to roost and a place to lay an egg too. Please clarify....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Free Range Chickens

You will want to provide a place where you can lock them in at night free from predators. Also, when given a cushy nest to lay in, they might lay there instead of hiding somewhere and laying eggs where you will not find them. Free Range has the advantage of them being able to get lots of bugs, and protein to supplement their feed, but if there are stray dogs or coyotes, you may lose a bird here and there. We keep ours in a large pen, with a smaller pen inside of it, with nest boxes and places to roost. Both areas are pretty protected from predators. We do have a slight problem with Rats, but I think we took care of that by moving all of the nest boxes off the ground. (less places for the rats to hide). Good luck with your project. Chickens can be very rewarding.

o
RE: Free Range Chickens

Thanks for all your info, I hope that I can get the property....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here