Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelda1234

What breed is my Beta Roo

nelda1234
15 years ago

Hi, This is our Beta Roo his name is Silver-he thinks he's all that and a bag of chips! lol. I have not been able to find a picture of him that he resembles, except maybe a delaware. Someone on this forum has one that looks like him, I saw it on someones journal? I just cannot remember who.{{gwi:34810}}

Silver has shimmering green in his tail and around his neck he has (long hair)feathers that look like an older gentlemens hair that is yellowish in color!

Comments (17)

• seramas
    15 years ago

By the looks of his comb (walnut like), the long hair like feathers around his neck, the lack of waddles, yellow beak and spurs, dark legs it could be a Silky cross several generations down or Chantecler. The body type screams Chantecler or Chantecler cross.

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

I doubt anyone could give an intelligent guess based on that description !

• robin_maine
    15 years ago

He looks like an Americauna.

• nelda1234
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm truly sorry I could not give a better discription of Silver! That is why I posted a picture - to get help with identify him.

Again I am truly sorry.

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

He looks like some of my Ameracaunas.They have them so mixed up!One of our local breeders told me that he isn't raising(selling) show chickens.He admitted to mixing the breeds so he has enough.I have tried to get my small flock more like the standard-it may take a while tho.The blue legs and rose comb look like them.Posy Pet

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

Stoopid me !! I can't see any picture.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Here are the links Seramas posted,
    ameraucana chickens picture
    Chantecler Chickens picture

To do it your self type "" in place of "(" ")" in the following.
    (a href="Http://www.Example.com";) Name of link (/a)

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

I know what breeds look like, I am wondering where others are seeing the photo of the mystery bird? The OP says a photo is posted.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Follow {{gwi:34810}}

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

Thankyou b o b .

That appears to be an easter egger. he is not a standard color nor breed his carries a gene(P) for the pea comb but is not pure for that. His shanks are slate as an Ameracauna ans he has a partial beard/muff. Easter eggers carry some Araucana or Amearacauna genetics to help make a blue tinted egg shell. They are propagated by hatcheries and others. he is for sure not a pure bred anything. Vey hard to say what other breeds he derives from.That doesnt make him unworthy for a pet or whatever use you might make of him.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Possibly an Americaunas crossed with either a Barred Rock or a Delaware, he's got the short beak very similar to my Head Roo, Phoenix (Americaunas/Barred Rock mix):

{{gwi:34811}}

He's a very pretty boy! :)

Velvet ~:>

• fancifowl
    15 years ago

is the bird above a 50/50 cross? He appears blue?/
    Usually with the cuckoo barring gene(B) you get some lessening of shank color, the (B) gene is used to make yellow shanks and also to inhibit black, mostly in Leghorns.
    Phoenix, is that his name?, he doesnt apper to have any Phoenix breeding?

I always like blue reds.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

No, fancifowl, Phoenix is his name because he hatched from an egg fathered by my Barred Rock roo, Jack, who had died recently. I had some unwashed eggs in the house, so we took a chance and stuck them in the incubator and got chicks! We named him 'Phoenix' in the classical sense (and because of his fire & ash coloring). :)

He is a straight 50/50 Americaunas/Barred Rock mix, and just came out that color--no Phoenix breed in him. The pictures don't do him justice (nor his mother), he's a gorgeous roo boy. His mom, Louse, is a beautiful gold, gray and salmon pink Americaunas hen, I've never seen another with her coloring.

Here's Lou:
    {{gwi:34812}}

Mother and son, admiring themselves in a mirror:
    {{gwi:34813}}

I'm hoping to get more hatchable eggs from her this Spring. :)

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

He is a beautiful boy! Love that rusty red colouring!
    Since we're showing off our roosters :-) Here's mine. He's red-sex-link - half RIR and half White Rock. I think he's beautiful and..uh..so does he! lol
    You can see the frostbite on the back of his comb. We just call him "Big Fella". (Didn't mean to get this thread side tracked.)

{{gwi:34814}}

• marymac
    15 years ago

VELVET SPARROW, YOUR LOU IS A BEAUTIFUL COLOR. I BET SHE'S EVEN PRETTIER IN PERSON. IS SHE A AMERICANA OR AN EE?

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Most people tend to lump Americaunas and Easter Eggers together, so it's a bit confusing to try and determine what is one type to one person and isn't to another. I consider Louise an Americaunas--she has the generous beard and facial tufts, but NOT the big, oversized ear tufts (plus, she isn't rumpless), has willow legs and lays lovely blue eggs. Yeah, the pictures do not do her justice, she absolutely shimmers in the sunlight! Especially that golden cape of hers.

She is also camera shy and in the photos is demonstrating another Chicken Law: 'Your best picture of your most camera-shy chicken will be with the bird against the worst, messiest, nastiest background possible.'

I keep stalking her with the camera and trying, though. One of these days I'll get her, the odds are on my side! :)

Lordy, Big Fella looks HUGE! How old is he?