Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxbarbie

Beta Roo Stew - recipes?

mxbarbie
15 years ago

I have become a mini farmer, while my DH runs a small motors shop (I guess opposites attract : ). He likes to tell me how to run the farm though, he thinks I need to become rich (I dissagree). I keep telling him to quit making more work for me.

Well, my Beta Roo bit my DH's wrist yesterday, now DH finally agrees with me that 1 Roo is plenty for 9 Hens...

I had a good giggle while I reminded him to stay in the shop and mind his own business.

Any thoughts on eating the young buck? (beta roo not DH!) He is a Sussex X Brown Leghorn hatched Sept 3, 2008 so that makes him almost 5 months old. I've read a couple times that Brown Leghorn is a dual purpose bird but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I'm not sure the amount of eating will be worth the effort of killing him.

Comments (6)

• seramas
    15 years ago

He sounds like a chicken "souper". Butcher him (leave him whole), put him in a big pot with just enough water to cover him. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, after 1 hour add carrots, potatoes, onions, black beans, and some rice cook another 45 minutes then add diced garlic and rosemary, cook for another 20 minutes. Ready to eat. The amounts of each ingredient can be what ever you like, any item can be left out and what every else you like can be added. It is a good recipe that even we men can do!

If you have leftovers they can be measured out in single meals and placed in Ziploc freezer bags and frozen. When you want to serve one just warm it in a double broiler (or nuke it) right in the bag. Pour into a bowl and eat. Wha-la, another even we men can do thing!

• yuliana
    15 years ago

seramas, great recipe! Sounds like a winner! The only thing I would change (If I was cooking that) is to cook black beans separately, then rinsing them and adding to the pot at the end. They do darken up the stock quite a bit. I wish I had a "beta" to try that :)

• seramas
    15 years ago

See, that is one of those differences between men and women, The other is a woman will dig in her purse searching for the exact change 15 minutes--men can have three pounds of change in their pockets and won't dig for even a penny. That's what makes us us!

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

three things.

Firstly, I'd recommend skimming the junk that floats to the surface off.

Secondly, I really like the idea of the ziplock bags, but can't help but think that Seramas was talking about a double boiler which is essentially a bowl over a pot of water; there are some soups that are finished under a broiler, but they tend to be very specialized.

Thirdly, as for a recipe you can't go wrong with Mirepoix, the french aromatic trio. Start by stripping the flesh off of the roo, Boil the bones with just a little bit of distilled white vinegar, then turn down to a simmer and leave it over night, cube the meat and refrigerate. The next day remove the bones and skim off any gunk (if you want a professional look and more flavor shred a little bit of carrot, and some green onions and whip them with an egg white, drop all of this in the pot and let it cook then skim it off and discard). Then toss in the meat and toss in carrots, onions, and celery (cut thin), some very thinly sliced garlic, some salt, and some potatoes in bite sized pieces. Let this cook for a while (I like it all soft, I start my stock at night and in the morning I add the rest, and let it sit at a low simmer for about 10 hours) then about 15 minutes before you want to serve it add some egg noodles. chop and add some parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper to final taste ladle into bowls and garnish with a touch more fresh parsley. It sounds like a lot of work, but chicken noodle soup is a classic, and most of it is being done by your stove while you are doing other things. As with all soups this is a winter dish, it works very well on top of a wood stove.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Also, allowing the freshly processed bird to age a couple of days in the frig can make the meat more tender.

Velvet ~:>

• mxbarbie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I'm going to wait until spring.
    The temp is supposed to drop to -22c this weekend.
    Maybe by then He'll be a little meaty-er. And since I have 14 cornish crosses in the freezer right now, I'm not exactly pining for chicken soup ; )
    I want to let my flock reproduce at will, but only plan to keep the hens. I guess I will see if this roo is tasty, I'll be eating the future roos, but I'm thinking if he's not very meaty I may end up changing breeds.