Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many chicken for my coop?

Posted by lorriekay 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 19:36

It's a doghouse style. The roof is hinged and lifts. The nesting boxes will be up and on the back wall. It will fit 3 nesting boxes.
It has closeable vents, plexiglass window and a lockable door.
Gonna put it up and have a ramp coming from the door.
The house is 44 X 32 X 32 (inches) so just shy of 4 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft

I will put a perch in there. I am thinking 4 chicken can perch comfortable on the perch (11 inches of space each on the perch)
There is room for a lower perch too.

In the day there is a large fenced run for them.
The run is about 8 feet wide by 20 feet long and 6 feet tall .

I have another small hutch style coop coming by mail. It says will fit 2 chickens.

Wondering how many chickens I can fit in the dog house one?
I also plan on letting them free range outside the pen once a day on grass

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many chicken for my coop?

Roughly 2 sq ft per bird so at 9 sq ft four girls would work BUT that is minimum square footage required and if you plan on room for feed and water that limits you further. Plus the more crowded the faster it gets poopy (especially under the perches)and the bigger chance of pecking problems. I see your in a warmer climate so they probably won't have to be cooped up a lot during the day thru the winter so pecking shouldn't be a problem if they are let out each day. But the poop will be. Otherwise it sounds like a nice set up.
Enjoy your girls!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here