Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Details Plans for Chicken Tractor

Posted by dannic_az z7AZ (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 06 at 20:21

My husband has drawn a plan for a simple chicken tractor that he is building. He will soon have a picture slideshow of how he builds them to post here as well. He wants to share his ideas with everyone and welcomes the free use of his plans and any feedback or more specific questions. This can be built with...

4 - 2" x 2" x 8'
3 - 2" x 4" x 8'
2 - 3/8" x 4' x 8' plywood
3" screws
2" screws
any scraps that you want to substitute.

He was frustrated that he could not find any simple construction plans online for our tractors and beign a house designer he just decided to start experimeng and making his own. If anyone is interested they can send me an e-mail and I will attache the drawings in a reply message. They are quite detailed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Details Plans for Chicken Tractor

Wow I am interested...I have been trying to get husband to do that for me...maybe if he has plans he will...Thanks so much...I'll send an email...

o

Thank you for the offer, I would be very interested as well. I will send you an e-mail :)

Love to see the pictures when they are ready!

-Sheila

o

My husband makes our chicken tractors from pvc pipe with rebar going through each of the hoops. It is light weight enough for two of us to pull (to move it to a new yard each week) for strong with the rebar going through it. It takes him all of about 3 hours to assemble one. He covers them with tarp and we have electric mesh fencing for the yards.

Check out this site for 100 plans for chicken tractors!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Tractors

o

I am also frustrated by the lack of plans out there, so I am designing a 3.5x10 foot tractor that I want to build. Three feet can be enclosed and has nest boxes for the layers. With the extra weight it will need wheels. One thing I would like help with is who to attach wheels to the end? Any ideas?

Dustin

o

Great! roberta Z5 and dustin_nevadanorth. It sounds like you have found a solution that works good for you. My goal in starting this was to create a tractor that was a good balance between...

Cost - With enough scrap lumber this could be built pretty cheap.

Weight
(My wife should be able to move it alone if she has to)

Style - I am going to have 4-5 of these so I wanted it to look o.k. out there on the land. These can be painted, stained or roofed. Why not add a cupola if you have the $$$ and nothing better to do!

Ease to build - hence the detailed plans

Predator proof - I have to deal with neighborhood dogs, coyotes and bobcats here. I don't have enoght $$ to fence the entire property in.

Shelter - Enclosed space to keep chickens out of the elements with plenty of customize-able room for nest boxes, feeders, perches, DVD players, deluxe laying stations, doors, whatever...

Open - open enough to give fresh air and sunshine for happy hens. I wanted the entire bottom of the tractor open to the ground to maximize the tractors effectiveness. I have a large garden spot to dondition!

Last and most important this project grew out of my desire to share the information that I have spent months not really finding on the Internet in my spare time. This design is a prototype. Anybody could take it and modify the way it goes together to meet their more specific needs. The variations on the theme are unlimited!

May your hens stay happy and your eggs crack out dark golden!

o

I would love to get your plans I have been searching for some. My husband thinks I am crazy so I have to do it my self. I need chicken tractors to make all the garden plots I want. I think he will be convinced when he sees them in action.

o

I'm on my own to build a tractor. Not being carpentry inclined, I also would appreciate a copy of your plans.

Neen

o

dondition?? denudation

Eric

o

would love to get a set of your plans

o

Hello,

I would like to receive a copy of your chicken tractor plans if possible. I am hoping to raise a few chickens this spring.

Thanks so much.

Vanessa

o

I haven't built one of these, but they look nice and tidy. From Mother Earth News:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother's Mini-Coop

o

dannic__az,

Nice plans. Thank You

Eric

o

Please send me your detailed plans.
Thanks Mike

o

Is there any way to post them here so every one can see them...She sent them to me but my virus protetction will not allow them to open...I know there is no virus in the email but it still won't open allow me to open it..

o

I would love to see your plans as well. I need to start separating my breeds for this upcoming breeding season and a couple of chicken tractors will be just the thing!!
Cathy

o

I would love a copy of the plans for a chicken tractor. I grew up on a farm 60 years ago and after following my husband around the world in the military we have returned to my childhood home. My soon to be daughter-in-law and I would like to raise a few chickens and the tractor solution seems ideal. Thank you for being willing to share. We think we can manage the construction on our own as my husband isn't too handy.

o

• Posted by kengena 7b Northeast Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 15:03

I would like the plans. Hoping to have chickens this spring.

o

My wife would also like me to build her something like this. When you get a chance i would appreciate a copy of the plans as well.
Thanks in advance

o

mee too, please?

o

Planning on chickens soon. Would love to have a look at these plans. Sent an email a while ago, but did not get a response.

o

I'd love a copy of your plans! We have some lovely places where we'd like the chickens to go and some places (i.e. garden) where we don't want them to go. A chicken tractor would be great. Thank you!

o

I, too, would love a copy of your plans. Thank you very much for the generous offer!

robin@comtb.com

o

Everybody check this out.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC plans

o

I'm coming into this thread a few months down the road, but I too would much appreciate seeing a copy of your plans. The kids surprised their mom with three RI Red chicks on her birthday two weeks ago, so now the scramble to house them! My wife has wanted an ark/tractor, but we, too, have been unable to find much in the way of detailed plans.

Thanks!

o

Plans for chicken tractors are pretty rare and I'm not very skilled at carpentry. Could you include me too on your list if it's not too late?

o

I would love to see the plans for the movable chicken tractor. Thanks.

o

I realize you have had a bazillion requests but could you (or someone else who has received these plans) email me a copy as well?

Thanks!

o

I would really love to get these plans. Ive been trying to find some good ones on the net for ages.

o

I would love these plans as well. We live in the country and there are many, many wild dogs as well as free-roaming ones and a few foxes as well, and I think it would be a good way to let our chickens do a modified free-range kind of thing once we get them in the spring. Hubby's working on the coop now so if I can get the plans for this he can make it in his workshop/garage in the winter when he's bored.

Thanks in advance.

o

Hi! Can youb send the tractor details please? Thank you.

o

I also would love a copy of the plans. A fox has moved in our area and is taking our free range chickens one by one.

Thank you,
Linda

o

Am new and would love a set of plans-sounds like I could recycle some cement forms. Thanks to anyone who can answer. cella jane: knobby_view@yahoo.com

o

Well, it is a year since I posted about our hoop houses. We were then raising meat chickens which we will never do again. Messy, nasty, and impossible for us here anyway to make any profit. We now have layers which are a whole different ball game. We absolutely love them.

We have never moved the hoop houses because we allow the chickens to free range and the houses are just for going in at night. As it turned out, the PVC with rebar going through had to be stabilized with extra 2X4s and that made them too heavy to easily move. Without the rebar, they would have blown away.

o

Roberta, do you mean that the birds are messy and nasty, or slaughtering them is?

o

dannic, I know it's been awhile since you posted the message about the detailed plans for a chicken tractor, but could you send me the plans? My email address is rondaleck@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

o

I would love a copy of your plans or a link to them if they are posted somewhere. Thanks

o

could i get a copy ov ur plans as i cant seem to find any plans online either

o

I built a chicken tractor myself (I'm female) and it took me only about 2 hours. I've included a link below to the Garden Gallery site (on GardenWeb). We had 10' conduit laying around so I don't know how much it cost. I used 4 pieces of 20' 2x4 (you could also use 2 4x4s at 20' or a bunch of 8' 2x4s staggered and nailed together).

I nailed them together into 2 long 4x4 pieces. Then I drilled 1" holes roughly 3' apart (I eyeballed it), just make sure you make them in the same place on both by laying them together when you mark them out. I didn't use a flat bit drill bit, but a hole saw, and only sawed part way down, leaving the center part attached. This helped to hold the conduit in, later.

I bent the conduit with a pipe bender, but if you didn't have a bender, 2 people could probably bend a looser bend around a telephone pole or something. Then I just dropped the conduit into the wood pieces with some gorilla glue and wrapped the whole thing around the sides with chicken wire and put netting on the top for lightness and then a tarp at one end for protection from rain.

I put a rope at one end with 4 1/2" eyebolts going through the wood. I can pull it myself (I wrap it behind my back and walk backwards 20' to the next spot). We just lift it up to let the chickens out at night, but there is a 'door' of chicken wire across the front, tied at the top to the conduit and fastened closed with carabiners (clip latches). Piece of cake.

GG

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken tractor

o

I would love the plans to the chicken tractor, we have just started with chickens and want to build one.

Thanks

o

I would like to have plans for the chicken tractor.

Thanks

o
RE: Details Plans for LAZY 'tractor'

I tried enclosing my chickens in a box so they could scratch up the garden..didn't work. This year I got 7'x100' deer netting and put that up where I want them to dig. So far they are doing a good job, and I don't have to carry each chicken to the enclosure each morning, I just bring the bucket of feed, let the birds out, chase the guineas away and lure the chickens into the deer netting enclosure. Then they peck at the feed and scratch up the grass for me. When it gets late, I just pull down the deer netting and let them out.

o

could I get a copy, too? Thanks in advance ( and apologies if this is the second request...I'm a newbie and not entirely sure what I'm doing) The girls (Rosie, Josie, Annabelle Lee, and the new ones Isha, Tinkerbell, Sylvia and Buffy all thank you too.

o

I would greatly appreciate a copy of your chicken tractor plans, as well. The little ones are arriving at the end of the month. Can't wait! It'll give me a couple of months building/designing time :)
Thanks,
Lottie

o

I'd like a copy of the chicken tractor plans also. Thank you. edens_acre@bauercom.net

Anyone try building the PVC plan from this link:
http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pastured-poultry-pen.htm

Wondering what the possibility of including some built in nesting boxes in this PVC plan would be? It might have to be anchored into the ground to keep from blowing away in windy weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC poulty tractor

o

I would appreciate a copy of the chicken tractor plans.

thanks in advance :)

o

I would appreciate a copy of the chicken tractor plans.

thanks in advance :)

o

I made a few small chicken tractors like 3 feet long by 2 foot wide. Used wire for the sides an top. The top is hinged so can open and put the chickens in it or ducks. No bottom so they can do what ever.

Got hardware welded wired 1 inch by 2 inch, cut the pieces for the top and long sides and two 24 inch pieces for the ends. I used crimps to put it together. It gives my baby chicks and ducks a safe place to be out during the day.

ML

o

May I have a copy of your plans as well please? Thank you in advance! --Kate

o

Please send me a copy of the plans as well. Thanks much, I think they will be helpful.

Peter

o

• Posted by jcna 08527 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 1:59

I would also like a copy of your plans for your chicken tractor. Thank you for your generosity.

jean

o

Sorry folks, the chicken tractor plan is no longer available.

o

Is it still possible to get plans for your chicken tractor?

Thank You,
Tom

o

If you still have the plans for the chicken tractor,
I would appreciate a copy of them .
Thanks
Ron

o

I would also appreciate a copy of the chicken tractor plans. I like a lot of other people have been looking for plans with not much success.
Thanks
Ron

o

Guess the last three posters can't read.

o

gosh well that sucks:( I was just going to ask as well. Dannic please email me... maybe we can come to some sort of arrangement in exchange for them.. I need plans for a tractor for next summer.. summer use only.

o

I would like a copy of your Chicken Tractor plans as well. Thanks!!!

o

IMHO, the whole chicken tractor thing might be over-rated and you might want to visit places where they raise chickens in these. We did and it was the middle of summer. The chickens were miserable ---- I don't care if they are moved every day, they were crowded and hot. Now, these were confined in a "chicken tractor" not a mobile thing where they can free range in a new open space every few days.

We decided to just free range our chickens and have done so for several years now. They "come home to roost" every evening and we lock them in their hoop houses. They are healthy, happy and we have not had problems with predators. We do have roosters that protect and warn the flock, however. Also, we are here most of the time which helps.

o

I am not sure if you are still sharing your plans this far out from the date of your original posting, but if you are I would sure love a copy!! My husband and I were going to try to make our own chicken tractor after looking at how expensive they are new. Neither of us has any experience doing such a thing, so detailed plans would help a great deal. Thanks so much!! Dominique

o
RE: chicken tractor, whoops!

Apparently I should have read the whole board before writing a post. I apologize for wasting your time. I was so excited, because I really cannot afford to buty a new contraption, and I was thanking my lucky stars that I found this link. I will figure something out. Maybe just hold off on the chicken plan. Thanks, Wish you all the best, Dominique

o

Would love a set of plans. But can't figure out how to use the email option at top. So if you could send to conraddalton39@yahoo.com would be appreciated.

o

I found your post in the forum and was wondering if I, too, could get a copy of the chicken tractor plans that your husband drew up? Send to junk2thisaddress@hotmail.com if you don't mind. . .

Thanks so much

o

Please send a copy to Shemarie959@yahoo.com I just lost 2 chickens to neighbor dogs...thanks so much!

o

Hello- anyone able to send those tractor plans to me?
I can't figure out how to get thru to dannic_az!

If this IS you, THANK you for freely sharing!!!
So kind!

I sure would love some detailed plans- as many here posted- I will be building it w/o my spouse's help! :-)

o

Hello, please send me a copy of the plans. We are getting our chickens the 1st week in May and they need a home. My wife will be ecstatic. Thank you.

Damian and Laura

o

All righty now. Did I already send this or not? :) Senility, ya know.

May I have a copy of your tractor plans? Please send to granma_ota@yahoo.com. We have a lot of predators in the Ozarks and I need a safe place for my hens. Thank you.

o

Can't figure out how to email you so I am adding a post like everyone else. I hope you still get the messages and have the plans.

Please send chicken tractor plans to jbstapler@yahoo.com

Thank you.

o

Hi, I live in Sydney Australia, and would love a copy of your plans for Chicken Tractor. I am about to purchase 2 - 4 chickens and having a secure place for them in my backyard which can be moved around sounds amazing. It would be greatly appreciated if you could email the plans at your earliest convenience. Thanking you in advance. Kind regards, Belinda.

o
RE: Email for Chicken Tractor Plans

Hi, sorry I forgot to include my email address. Please send plans to davenbel@bigpond.com

Thanks again, Belinda.

o

Hi,

I am expecting my first shipment of chicks and have been searching for chicken tractor plans.

May I inquire if you can still send me your husband's plans?

Thank you

o

I know this is two years after you originally posted this, but I would sure like to see those plans, too! Or, is there a link we can go to for viewing them online? Thanks so very, very much!

o

I would really appreciate your plan details if possible. Thanks for sharing!

o

I would love a copy of your plans also. I cannot figure out how to email you. I hope you are still active on this site! Thanks,
DeAnna mccolms3 (at) sbcglobal net

Your supplies list sounds a lot like what I am trying to explain to my husband so I think it would work perfectly.

o

My daughter and I are wanting to build a Chicken tractor and would love to see your plans. Any information would be very helpful.

o

As yet another of my free-range hens was attacked by a fox today, I'd be very interested in seeing your plans and pictures of the chicken tractor.

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 08 at 12:09

Note the date:

"* Posted by dannic_az z7AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 0:28

Sorry folks, the chicken tractor plan is no longer available."

Carmen, when I read your post I realized that our chickens don't seem to like the tractor much either - they're excited to get in there but find the space confining pretty quickly (that's two chickens @ about 2 cubic meters of room). We move them 3-4 times a day, a kind of chicken rototiller, and to keep them entertained. Bored or not, they do a good job of scratching, bug eating and fertilizing.

o

I am interested as well. My young sons built one last year by themselves. It is nice but it takes four of us to move it.:)

My goal is to make one that can fit 3 hens in it but it only be two foot wide. It will be used between our rows in our garden. They make great weeders!

Thank you!

o

• Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 16:25

I can't offer plans but thought I'd share this picture of Kathleen and Cecelia in ours. They're happy as long as we move them (and their water bucket) 4-5 times a day, and once a day throw in a good handful of layer ration. They're not only doing an excellent job of tilling, pooping and eating bugs, but today uncovered a row of potatoes we'd forgotten to dig last fall, which we're having for supper.

chicken tractor

o

Hi Dannic If I'm not to late I would like your plans for the chicken tractor. Cheers Joan

o

Hi,
Sounds like your plans for the chicken tractor are exactly what I'm needing. I'd love to have a copy of your plans and thank you so much for your offer. Hope I'm not too late.

o

You can get detailed chicken tractor plans, with close-up photos and instructions by contactding the folks at
www. coopsdeville.com

You can also see the design at
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/grd/650195589.html

o

Could someone please email me the drawings for this chicken tractor?

I would appreciate it. I emailed the original poster but she is not accepting emails.

Thank you.

Bethany

o

Hello,
Please send me the plans. With all the positive feedback you have gotten I am looking forward to getting busy on this project. Much thanks with your generosity.

o

My wife wants me to build her a chicken tractor and I was just starting on plans when I saw this. I would really like a set of the plans. After all, why re-invent the wheel!

Thanks.

o

I would really enjoy having some plans to build from.
Thank you for helping so many of us this way.

RDJ

o

I would love to have these plans, thank you.

o

I would love a copy of the chicken tractor plans.

o

would love a copy but can't seem to find your email address

o

Thanks for the gracious offer of sharing your work and expertise. I'm getting ready to join the ranks of the urban chicken keepers and would appreciate any information..especially detailed plans.
Thanks,
Dave

o

I like to receive a copy of the details plans for chicken Tractor. Thank you.

o

* Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on

Note the date:

o

Im really interested in your plans for a chicken tractor. Got new babies coming in and need a place to put them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

o

* Posted by brendan_of_bonsai 4b AK (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 11:42

"* Posted by paulns NS zone 6a (My Page) on

Note the date:

Sorry folks, the chicken tractor plan is no longer available." "

o

I'd love to have a copy of your chicken tractor plans. They sound like something right up my alley! Probabably something I can build! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Oliver Ministries

o

I'm not making this bold to express anger, but rather in hopes that people will see in on their way to post.
Posted by dannic_az z7AZ on

Sorry folks, the chicken tractor plan is no longer available.

o

I'd appreciate seeing plans. Thanks, Steve

o

May I have plans? katieoneill3@aol.com Thank you!

o

If your plans are still available I would like to receive them, thank you. ministerofGod@sc.rr.com

Wayne

o

I would love a copy of the plans for the chicken tractor if it is still available. Wanda wj@kc.rr.com

o

I'd like to have a copy of the chicken tractor plans also. Thank you so much for sharing! jaloucks@yahoo.com

o

Would love to see your design, I've made my own blueprint but think it may be too big/heavy. Plan on 6-8 hens
Thanks,

o

please send me the plans. djricker@hotmail.com

No spam please!

o

I would really appreciate a copy of our plans

o

I'd love to get a copy of your chicken tractor plans if they are still available. Thanks!

o

my son brought home some chicks from school for project and I could use some simple plans for a chicken tractor and this sounds like it is really easy to build. If you can send me a copy I would really appreciate it. If you can't I understand
thanks
Alex

o

I am interested in makimg a chicken tracter please e-mail me a copy too.

o

Could you please send me images of your plans? thanks.

o

Are you still sharing chicken tractor plans? I have a broody hen and need to build a new coop for the newbies. My construction skills are minimal....all that I know about construction I learned in Girl Scouts...thank goodness for that!

Thanks so much.
Amy

o

Could you please send me a copy of the plan? Thanks so much.

o

I would really like a copy of the plans as we are about to embarque one the chicken raising journey.

Thanks so much...

o

I would appreciate the plans for your chicken tractor if you are still sharing them. Thank you in advance.
Pattie

o

I am interested in the plans for a tractor chicken coop. Thank you so much--my husband can build anything--but it is great to have plans. Thanks again--Mary Bliven

o

Would love to have a copy of your chicken tractor plans if you are still sharing. My email is tjnussle@yahoo.com. Many thanks.

o

I would also like a copy of your chicken tractor plans. Thank you in advance.

o

Please send me a copy of your plans if still available

o

I would love to get these plans, if still available.

o

The city in which I work is considering adopting an "urban" chicken ordinance and I have been tasked to research the issue. How many square feet are chicken tractors, typically?

o

I would love a copy of your chicken tractor plans if they are still available.

Larry

o

Can I please get a copy of your Chicken Tractor Plans. I currently have 13 Chickens running a muck in my side yard. Thanks

Dave

o

Wow! I've been looking everywhere for easy and cheap tractor plans. Could you please send me your plans. My husnand and I can get started on it right away.

TKS

o

I would love a copy of your plans.
thank you,
Josephine

o

This is an old thread - are the plans still available?

Thank you in advance!

Mark

o

I'm looking for chicken tractor plans. Are these available? Thanks!

o

Would love to have a copy of your plans if they are still available. Thanks!

o

Would like to receive a copy of your plans for the chicken tractor. Thank you.

o

I would love a copy of your plans. I do not have a man to help me, but I do woodworking so would enjoy making one of the chicken tractors. I have a lorge garden space that I need to rejuvenate and the chickens in the chicken tractor would really help.

o

I would like to receive your husbands plans for I to have not been able to locate any on line.
Thanks
Stewart

o

I would appreciate a copy of the plans for the chicken tractor. ....thank you

o
e-mail address for reply

wrdefelice@sbcglobal.net
Requesting copy of the chicken tractor plans..thank you

o

I would appreciate a copy of the plans for the chicken tractor. ....thank you

o

Hi -

May I also have a copy of the plans if they are still available?

Thank you in advance.

Sheila

o

I know it's been awhile since you posted the message about the detailed plans for a chicken tractor, but could you send me the plans? email address is hattie94@ymail.com

o

I can't believe how many are still asking about this! The OP posted this in 2007:

"Posted by dannic_az z7AZ (My Page) on Tue, Jul 3, 07 at 0:28

o

Could you send me a copy of the chicken coop plans.

thanks a bunch
John!!

o

Could you send me details about your chicken tractor? I think it would be a great thing to do with my son. Thanks!

o

I would love to see these plans. Want to move my chickens to the yard instead of at the barn (it's to far).
THANKS!

o

Hi if these are still available I would love you to email me please. I did notice the date on this........Thanx! I'm needing a pretty good sized one with all the chicks I just got.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here