Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie312_gw

How to get my chickens in there new home??

natalie312
15 years ago

We just built a new chicken coop for our chickens and i want to know how to get them in there??? And does anyone know how to make a nesting box???

Comments (5)

• adirondackgardener
    15 years ago

Well, what's always worked for me was to put food an water inside and then put the chickens in, close the door and in a couple of days, they know where home is.

I make my nest boxes out of 1x12 lumber so they have roughly a 12x12" nest. This size works well for the medium size hens I have. I cut the front side to about 3" high so they can get in and out and still hold the nesting bedding in. Over the nests is a steep board sloping up from the front of the nest to the wall behind, This keeps the hens from roosting and pooping on top of the nests. Provide 1 nest for each 4 hens.

Wayne

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

I just saw a video on building a nesting box with egg catcher (see below). looks easy although I will not be attempting it.

Here is a link that might be useful: nesting box with egg catcher

• mersiepoo
    15 years ago

I was thinking of trying this this summer, get some 5 gallon plastic buckets (like the ones that drywall compound or paint come in, lowes or home depot sell them empty). Then put the buckets on their side, hammer some pieces of wood to keep them stable so they don't roll off the ledge and stick some hay in it. Would be easier than cleaning wood and they can't roost on them, they slip off, ha ha!

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Natalie,
    Make sure that your chickens stay in their new coop for at least a week, providing treats, food and water in the coop. They adjust quickly (or just have no memory whatsoever) and will recognize "home".
    The suggestion about the 5 gallon buckets is very good, but I'd nail them down--chickens can get rowdy and might figure out how to knock them off the ledge. Plastic storage containers of an appropriate size will work, also.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

Good suggestions here on how to get them acclimated to their new home. I'd just add that most chickens prefer the 'dark' nest--they instinctively want to feel as if they were hiding their eggs from predators. I use square wooden nests with one open side (facing out) and nailed a curtain of black landscaping cloth over the opening, slit up the middle so the chickens can come and go. They love it! Lots of nesting material is a must, also.

As for getting them to go to roost in the coop each night, place their evening food ration in there, and make the coop the most attractive place to roost--the roosts in the coop should be the best ones in the yard (as far as a chicken thinks). Remove any other nesting areas outside the coop or make them undesirable somehow--block access, maybe.

Velvet ~:>

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz