Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seramas

Golden Phoenix (American Hybrid) Rooster and Hen Picture

seramas
15 years ago

Golden Phoenix Male with BBR Hen (both 20 weeks old)

{{gwi:35175}}

Golden Phoenix Hen and BBR Hen (both 20 weeks old) In Our Golden Phoenix blood line the hens look like males except their comb, tail, saddle, hackle feathers are not as long as the Males.

{{gwi:35176}}

These Golden Hens do not conform with the show bird requirements but they produce beautiful Roosters. We have some BBH hens that are developing Roo traits (not as pronounced as the Golden hens) and they too produce beautiful Roosters.

{{gwi:35177}}

Can't take pictures without Charles inspecting the camera!

{{gwi:35178}}

Comments (5)

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

They sure are beautiful! You keep some in cages?

• johanna_h
    15 years ago

They are beautiful chickens! And I had to laugh at the picture -- don't those Tidy Cat buckets come in handy? I use them everywhere!

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Runningtrails, the Seramas are kept in cages to ensure who's your daddy is their daddy. It makes record keeping easier on the different bloodlines. During their resting periods they are kept in large pens--males in one and females in another.

All breeders are tattooed and have closed leg bands (bands that must be put on when they are young). I also do DNA testing on all breeders and keep pedigree record on each one.

Roosters are moved from cage to cage three times a day to mate with different hens, and can be mated to 15 hens during each breeding cycle (60 days). This makes it easier to test breed for genetic 'split or crossover' genes. This is about the only way to untangle the 'mutt' in the Serama breed.

I'll post some more pictures of the Seramas below.

I would be interested in trading with others for poultry breeds that are pure breeds not mixed breeds.

{{gwi:35179}}

{{gwi:35180}}

{{gwi:35182}}

{{gwi:35184}}

{{gwi:35186}}

{{gwi:35187}}

{{gwi:35189}}

{{gwi:35191}}

{{gwi:35193}}

{{gwi:35195}}

Of course I can't forget Charles (Mutant Green Pheasant).
    {{gwi:35196}}

{{gwi:35197}}

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

*LOL* I LOVE Charles!!! What a cutie! :)

Beautiful birds, as always! Thanks for posting pics, I wish more people would show off their animals and barnyards. Seramas have long been on my 'Wish List', but I have to wait until I have room for another banty roo. I have a standard size roo and a banty roo now, and know from experience that I can't have more than that in my flock. *sigh* Someday...!

That red/gold roo with the white spangles and cream colored cape is gorgeous!

Velvet ~:>

• seramas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When your ready I'll give you any color you want--you just pay for the shipping costs.