Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmgirl01_gw

holding duck eggs

farmgirl01
14 years ago

My question is, how long can you store duck eggs before you have to incubate them. I have heard that you can refrigerate them until you get enough to incubate. But I don't know how long or how cold they should be.

Last year I added them as I got them and was constantly having to clean the incubator because one would hatch and mess it all up. Hoping this year to eliminate that problem.

Comments (4)

• gardengalrn
    14 years ago

I'm just guessing here but I would think it is a bad idea to put them in the fridge. I thought once an egg was fertile it had to be kept warm for the embryo to be viable. Someone may correct that but that is my guess. Lori

• Naomi Miller
    14 years ago

Here is a link that may help you out...... I usually answer most any question I have by checking with an AG university... there is usually one in every state...but I have used the guidelines here and never had issues.... good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: MSU egg info

• farmgirl01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much Heartzlink! That is a great web site! It told me everything I needed to know.
    Here is a copy of what they said for all of those like me that didn't know:
    It is recommended that most eggs be stored no longer than 1 week. Storing eggs longer will produce a greater incidence of hatching failures.

"The maximum storage period for chickens is about 3 weeks. Some turkey eggs will survive for 4 weeks, but quail will have difficulty developing from eggs stored longer than 2 weeks."

"Hatching eggs should be collected soon after lay and maintained at 50-65o F. The eggs must not warm to above 65o F. unless they are being prepared for immediate incubation. Relative humidity in the storage facility should be maintained at 70 percent and daily egg turning or repositioning is recommended to prevent the yolk "

• prmsdlndfrm
    14 years ago

I always store hatching eggs in the kitchen on a corner counter, mark one side with a crayon, it helps ya remember to turn em. I chose the kitchen because it has the best humidity in the house, bathroom humidity can be to hi during showers, other rooms can be to dry. You dont want the egg to lose to much moisture while you hlodem, and you dont wantem soaking up to much moisture, and household room temp is just right. Ya only refridgerate eating eggs,
    josh