Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

who are you??

msjay2u
15 years ago

I saw a posting where someone mentioned something about posting photos. Well I for one am interested in knowing what some of you guys look like and a little something about you. Posting a photo of myself to start it off.

{{gwi:35427}}

I am a city girl who transplanted herself to the country. I have 2 chickens, 2 goats, an old 1920's cottage, and less than 2 acres of land. My mini hobby farm takes up most of my time and money and I think is my fountain of youth! I am a decorated vet (Navy) and enjoy learning from you guys on the forums. I have found most of you to be friendly, helpful and most interesting. I also find it amazing how many of you have questions about the same things I have problems with. And some have the most interesting responses.

I am glad to be here!

Comments (29)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Oddly enough my name is Brendan... I'm a college student from Alaska going to School in South West Colorado, this is my last year, I'm studying biology and chemistry. I've kept chickens and geese as a child and lots and lots of fish corals and invertebrates, as well as working on a few experiments with animals.

{{gwi:35428}}

This picture is about two years old, as soon as I find the memory card to my camera I can take a new one, I have hair now to help with the brutal cold of the winter.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

You can see my pic and information at the link below. I also work full time at a small private college. There is a link on the below page to our farm blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: My site

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow runningtrails I did not expect that!! Your work is wonderful. Like the interviewer said your work looks so lifelike just like a photograph! See... there are some things you just never know about people!! Thanks for sharing that!

BTW that dog "Journey" is a weird looking breed whatever it is. You have never done any paintings of your chickens?

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

Here is a picture that was taken a few months back when I still had hair...haha The red wrap is a prayer shawl made for me by an internet friend...

{{gwi:35429}}

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what is a prayer shawl?

• sustainablesarah
    15 years ago

It is a special blanket that has been blessed and is worn for some kinds of prayer. It's a Jewish traditional requirement for men, and commanded in the Pentateuch.

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

Yes that is basically what it is. The Ladies that made it were members of a church group that makes them. They pray over the shawl for the person that is going to receive it. This was given to me when I first found out that I had lung cancer.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Thank you very much, msjay2u!

I enjoyed reading your blog! You write very well!

lol! The dog is a Shi tzu/Bichon that needs grooming. I have not painted my chickens yet. I just got them last July and have been way too busy to paint much. I am planning on painting a huge rooster mural on the side of my chicken house next summer that can be easily seen from the road. I already have the paint for it, just need the weather. Maybe I will do some chicken paintings this winter.

Where's the picture ruthieg__tx?

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That explains the look of the dog (the mixture).
    I was thinking today about searching to see if there was a thread showing cool things people did with their coops. I brought some old tin signs and license plates for the inside of the coop but I was not sure how I was going to do the outside. A big picture painted on the door of my coop sounds cool. I had not thought of that! I can not do chickens but I bet I can draw a pretty nice looking egg. LOL We are going to have to start that thread in the spring if there is not one up here when we can all get out and do some things.

ruthieg_tx photo shows up just fine on my puter. I guess everyone else is too chicken to post their photos. LOL pun intended.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I can see it now. Beautiful red color!

msjay2u, did you mean that dog on my Pet Portraits page named Journey? I'm sorry, that dog never occurred to me when you asked. I thought you meant my dog on the farm blog. That one on the pets portrait page is a short haired collie. It's the only one I've ever seen too.

• seramas
    15 years ago

The reason many are not posting a picture, is some of us may not know how.

If someone would post on this thread complete instructions of the HOW 2s that would be helpful.

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Seramas it is quite easy. follow my steps and you can not go wrong!
    create an account on photobuck (see link below). There are other ones you can get but I use photobucket and will only give you instructions for them

create a free account
    {{gwi:35430}}
    on the right side choose my computer and on the left click choose files
    {{gwi:35431}}
    navigate to where your photo is located
    {{gwi:35432}}

(you can choose more than one by holding down the ctrl key and clicking on all the files you want to upload)

when it finshes uploading it will give you the option of creating a title and description but you can choose to save and continue or skip this step
    {{gwi:35434}}
    you will see the photo. if you move your mouse over the photo several options will come up under the photo
    {{gwi:35435}}

click in the box that says html code and it will turn blue then right click in that box and choose the option to save
    {{gwi:35436}}

you will not see anything happen. Now go to your message in the forum and typ what you want. when you get to the point in the message that you want the photo right click and choose paste. You will see a bunch of code in the window now
    {{gwi:35437}}
    finish typing your message and hit preview. you will not see the photo until you hit preview
    then whalal the photos are in your message and you are done. And now that you know we expect pictures of your flocks, and coops, and all sorts of intersting things you will want to bless us with.

Hope this helps!!
    {{gwi:35438}}

Here is a link that might be useful: photo bucket

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to add if you want to save this posting save it in your clippings
    {{gwi:35439}}
    or save it in your bookmarks

sure hope this helps!

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made a mistke. when you right click in the html box you want to choose the option to COPY not save. sorry

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

what??? no one else posting?

• zeke
    15 years ago

thats interesting
    i have alawys wanted to find
    the short version of how to post pics on here .
    Z

• natalie312
    15 years ago

I grew up in Santa Cruz and have just recently mored the country. I have four hens and a rooster and a duck that thinks it is a chicken LOL. You can go to my MySpace for a pic and more info. http://www.myspace.com/witnat

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Z are you saying that my instructions were too long?

I was trying to show the steps because some people might find it a little easier to see them.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Do you need to have a MySpace account in order to see pictures on My Space? I have enough work keeping my Facebook updated. I don't have time for a MySpace account too.

• zeke
    15 years ago

am i saying that your instructions are too long ??
    noooo , was just interested in the " short version "
    as my computer skills are not the brightest bulb on the tree .
    Zeke

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here is the shortest version I could make w/o the photos.

Create an account on photobucket.com then log in.
    on the right side choose my computer and on the left click choose files
    navigate to where your photo is located and click on the file name then click on "open" and it will upload

if you move your mouse over the photo click in the box that says html code and it will turn blue then right click in that box and choose the option to copy

Type your message in the forum and when you get to the place in the message where you want the photo right click and choose paste.

when finished hit preview. you will not see the photo until you hit preview. If everything looks okay hit submit.

Better? LOL

Runningtrails if you go to the myspace link you can see her photo. No need to have an account or log in. That makes it different from facebook.

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

It's a picture of a picture, so sorry for the crummy quality & glare. :)

{{gwi:35440}}

I'm partially disabled now so I'm a stay-at-home mom these days, I live in suburban Los Angeles, California with my husband, 9 year old daughter and assorted animals, including a flock o' chickens in the back yard. Part of my childhood growing up with my sisters and brother was spent on a small ranchette in Norco, CA where we had chickens for eggs & meat, turkeys (meat), horses, rabbits, ducks, etc. plus a mixed fruit orchard and a large vegetable garden. Our parents taught us to how to live off the land and how to kill, clean, harvest and can what we raised & grew. I'm trying to pass that knowledge on to my daughter.

My hobbies are birds in general and chickens in particular, raising and rehabbing wild birds, growing roses, my '69 Plymouth convertible, gardening & canning, with some writing and drawing tossed in here and there. I'm aiming to put in a raised bed vegetable garden this year to go with my blood orange tree (makes great jelly!) and white nectarine tree (makes great jam!). I just have to make sure the garden is chicken-proof! Good times! :)

I've got a chicken info site here:
    http://jackshenhouse.com/

And my LiveJournal, with more day-to-day stuff, here:
    http://velvet-sparrow.livejournal.com/

Velvet ~:>

• seramas
    15 years ago

A picture of me and Cindy ( 2 year old Serama Hen)
    {{gwi:35441}}

Cindy is waiting for a hand signal to fly to her cage. She is trained to fly to my hand or to her cage with hand signals. A very sweet bird that will set on rocks when she has a mind to.

{{gwi:35442}}

One of my favorite plants (Mexican Poinsettia) 1 year old from a cutting and it's second blooming. It is about 3' high and 6' across.

{{gwi:35443}}

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Great pics of everyone! This was a great idea!
    If you have your own webspace somewhere, you don't need to keep your pictures at Photobucket, you can just upload them to your webspace and use them from there. It just has to be accessable from the web. The pictures are not stored on GW but pulled from where you have them stored to be viewed by us. If you have server software installed on your computer and it's always on, you can use them from there without uploading them anywhere.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Velvet Sparrow: Loved your Journal! I have been considering a journal. There is a journal page here at GW, is it for that type of journal? Does anyone know how to use it?

• msjay2u
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great shots thanks for participating!!

Seramas great greenhouse and that Poinsetta is to die for!!

velvet there was no glare, great idea! I been to your site often. it is very useful!

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

I haven't used the journal here, so I don't know. I started a couple of years ago with LiveJournal and just stuck with it.

Velvet ~:>

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

Seramas, that Cindy looks like a sweetheart! I wish I had the time time spend with my hens like that. Are serama hens usually smaller? She looks like a little un.

• seramas
    15 years ago

Runningtrails, Cindy is about 3 times bigger than our small ones. The smallest hen is a White Silky at 4.25 ounces as a mature 3 year old. Most Serama Breeders will show you a 14 to 20 week old bird that is about 2/3rds grown and pass them off as completely grown adults with very high price tags ($200 and up each). When you get them home they finish growing and you end up with a bird you can buy for $20.