Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velvet_sparrow

chickam has begun! baby chicks are hatching!

velvet_sparrow
14 years ago

We are doing our annual live, with sound, web broadcast of baby chickens hatching. Hatching JUST started (a day and a half early), we have several eggs peeping and rocking. The hatch date was supposed to be Friday, Feb. 26th, but hey--we're goin' NOW. Please remember: Hatching takes many hours and can move slowly, with hours going by between the time a chick pips and the time it actually emerges from it's shell. And when it DOES come out, it does so suddenly, in just a few minutes. But watching a hatch CAN be kinda like watching paint dry, so be patient. It's not an instant gratification thing.

Here is the link to the webcam, with sound.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

So ladies and gentlemen, choose your favorite egg and cheer it on! They are numbered 1-61, BUT we did pull eleven of them 14 days in as they were clear and nothing had developed when I candled them. I'll post the missing numbers later. Later I'll be posting updates and pictures of last year's chicks.

We did things a little differently this year, and I ordered fertile eggs online from several sources. The breeds we are hatching are: Giant Cochins, Salmon Faverolles, Belgian d'Uccles and Silkies.

Right now #21 (a Porcelain Belgian d'Uccle egg)is peeping and pipping (making it's initial cracks in the shell), if you look at the top of the number 1 that's where the pipping is.

#33 (a Giant Cochin egg) is also rocking and peeping strongly, but no pips yet.

There are two incubators, side by side, both had viable eggs with living chicks when I candled them at 14 days. We can only have the cam on one incubator at a time, so we chose the one with the forced air fan (that's the low hum you hear in the background).

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!