Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping rabbit's water from freezing

Posted by grittymitts 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 1:27

Anyone have ideas on keeping rabbits water bottles from freezing? Rare to have temps low enough to cause it, but for a few days that a time this winter, they have done so very quick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping rabbit's water from freezing

Try wrapping them with foam, or rap them with towels and tape the towel onto it

o

All I did when it got below freezing was to have 3 sets of water bottles for each cage.

When I went out, I'd take fresh bottles with tepid water, and switch out the bottles. Take the frozen ones inside to thaw.

How cold it got determined how many times I'd have to switch the bottles. If it wasn't much below freezing, just switch once in the morning because the bottles wouldn't freeze during the day (my rabbits had shelter)

If it got down to 50 below, every couple of hours. It wouldn't take the bottles long to freeze, but if the rabbits got all they wanted to drink at least every other hour, they were getting enough.

You an also put heat lamps near the hutch and if they are close to the water bottles, the water won't freeze.

o

Mine would get fresh water several times a day plus I kept a container with snow in it in their cages. That way they always had something. And they do eat a lot of snow. Even if there was water available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here