Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rat proof chicken feeder

Posted by johnmac09 St Ives (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 4:13

Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the long & severe Winter here in the England is making things worse) and commercially available feeder options aren't feasible... too expensive and too big a capacity for my four girls.

So I've made my own rat proof chicken feeder with readily available materials. To get the plan & instructions go to my blog site below.

Hope you find it useful. John

Here is a link that might be useful: An English Allotment Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rat proof chicken feeder

I've had rat problems before, okay several times.But I have found rats will live close to their food supply in winter. I have had them move into the coop even.
Do you see any holes in the ground around or in your coop?If you do start digging and be ready to chop with your shovel!I one time found a nest about one foot deep with 17 rats that I had been feeding.
I bought a Plastic life like owl and mounted it on a near by post and have not seen any rats this year. I hope this helps.

o

There are rat proof chicken feeders that will basically dry up the rat's food supply since they can not get in the feeder. Here is a website "thecarpentershop.net " that has a quality, low cost rat proof chicken feeder that I know of.

o

you can just go and visit this link
http://thecarpentershop.net/mediumplywoodchickenfeeder.html

o

Sorry to hear that you have rat problems. But if you've got rats, you should be worrying more about stolen eggs, eaten chicks,and chickens being killed while they're roosting, than how much food the chickens have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here