Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toes of chicken sudden curling unable to walk

Posted by dapple25 UK (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 09 at 6:08

I would be grateful for any advice for my poor chicken who is an ex-battery hen and we have had for a couple of months and has done really well through the winter so far, but this am she came out of her house with the others unable to put her weight on one foot with the toes curling up but it does not appear broken. So I put her back in her house with straw all around her but have now brought her into the my house in the warm and snuggled up as the other foot seemed to be doing the same. She is eating and drinking and her cone seems fine. Thank you for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toes of chicken sudden curling unable to walk

Could be too much prtein in food.Theres a percentage of protein on bag.

o
RE: Toes of chicken sudden curling unable to walk

Check the bottoms of her foot pads for wounds--signs of Bumblefoot. Bumblefoot is basically an open wound or abcess that can't heal properly due to being packed with dirt all of the time. If you Google it you'll see pictures. It's treatable but it's a pain in the neck, since you have to keep the wounds clean and free of dirt--not easy for a chicken! It could be that she stepped on something sharp or she has a thorn in there--being an ex-battery hen she would be unaccustomed to walking on open ground and would need time to build up normal callousing on her foot pads.

Check her leg for injuries by gently squeezing her leg between your thumb and forefinger, starting at the top and working your way down, doing each toe as well. If she jumps, pulls back or otherwise reacts, you've found a sore spot. I know you said she isn't using the foot, but if you hold her up and put your hand under that foot, does she attempt to grasp with it? Any possibility that she injured herself jumping down from a roost, or got injured by an over-amorous rooster?

You can also offer her supportive therapy by keeping her warm and quiet. I've got a chicken info site here that might help further, this is the 'health' section:

http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

What has her normal diet and housing situation been like up to now?

Velvet ~:>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here