Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runningtrails_gw

Dollar store seed

runningtrails
15 years ago

Has anyone used seed from the dollar store before? Our Dollarama has lots of packets really cheap. I think they're 2/$1.00. Do you think I should get my carrot seed there or buy it from a reputable garden place?

They do have peat pots too, 25 for $1.00 and small bags of good quality potting soil, 2/$1.00. I don't think it matters where I buy those.

Comments (13)

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

I have purchased seed from the local Family Dollar, and had good luck with it. They have the standard varieties, nothing "heirloom" but that's fine with me since the packets are 5/$1.
    One thing I do check, is to see if the package of seed is marked for the current year, and not last year.

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok then. I'll buy some carrot seeds and a few others today! Great! I think these are 4/$1.

• seramas
    15 years ago

I'm a big fan of $1 stores. My wife and I have the most fun in the $ stores. Love to look for the poorly translated packaging errors, they are hilarious.

Yes we will get flower seeds there, but we save our own vegie seeds from year to year, but are always looking for types/verities to add to our heritage collection.

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

They just put out a lot of things for the spring and I got a cute sign (don't count your chickens before they hatch), a couple of small baskets perfect for giving eggs away in, garden markers and other things I can not remember right now. I somehow missed the seeds though. My question would be if you buy seeds from them is there any concern they will also have weed seeds in the packet?

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to try several varieties this year. I will let you know how they do. I love the dollar store too!

• gardengalrn
    15 years ago

I've had excellent results with dollar store seeds, discounted seeds or end-of-the-season sale seeds. The dollar stores usually carry pretty standard (tried and true)OP varieties. I buy seeds from many different maii order sources as well but have had equal results with the discount stuff (if not the variety). I snatch them up when I see them on sale for 10-20 cents a pack. Lori

• lady_6
    15 years ago

Oh, I just love getting seeds from the dollar stores here. They have a great deal of seeds every spring, I get and plant them every year. Hettie

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

I have bought seeds from the dollar store and they are fine.I planted turnips for the first time last year(too late!) and I think every seed germinated.Also squash and zuchini and flowers.All did well.Posy Pet

• runningtrails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are 3/$1.00 and I bought 11.00 worth of seeds yesterday and some peat pots. I bought all of our corn, carrots and beans, as well as broccoli, peppers, zucchini. They look like good seed.

The only seed I still have to buy are the sugar snap peas. They didn't have any of those :-(

I have everything else I'm going to plant bought or traded for now. I'll start some indoor soon.

This is so exciting! Spring is just around the corner! I'm going to start the broccoli first, since I can put it out at the first of May.

• crownpc
    13 years ago

I decided that I too like to buy my seeds for a dollar. One problem with the dollar store seeds though, is that they may be very old. So I created Dollarseed.com where you can buy seeds for just a dollar, they are garaunteed fresh, and you will get a whole lot more. Best yet, is that we use the industry's lowest shipping rates. Stop by and check us out.

Here is a link that might be useful: DollarSeed

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

crownpc ... read the guiidelines ... you are not allowed to advertise your business.

• Lauren Crosariol
    7 years ago

This is an old thread but I will add for anyone who comes across it that Wal Mart does carry the cheap American Seed Company still where packets are 20 cents each. They don't offer it in the winter though, when they clear out all the gardening stuff for Christmas stuff. So you will need to stock up on winter veggies in the summer. The variety is good, and so are the dates. The amount of seed is low but still very well priced.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!