Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronball09

Help - Geese Control

ronball09
15 years ago

Hello Friends,

I have Lake front property and so that I have problem with geese. I want to safe my property by prevent them. Please

help me. How can I stop them?

Please help.....

Comments (3)

• brendasue
    15 years ago

Canadian Geese? We've always tried to live alongside the wild animals, and have foxes, geese, ducks, woodchucks and some type of coydog visiting regularly. Our LGD's keep these out of their pastures, and the wild animals visit the rest of the property. Unfortunately these animals are getting squashed out of their natural habitats & need somewhere to go. When and if one becomes a problem, they are dispatched quickly, either by us or our dogs. We try our best to live in harmony. However if you feel you have no choice:

What's the general concensus with your neighbors? I'd recommend a dog to keep them off of your property, that won't help keeping them out of the lake or the neighbors property. I'm assuming the lake rights are shared ownership/public ownership.

Get together with other property owners. Do not feed the geese, worry them every chance you get so they feel unsafe & unhospitable, withoug actually hurting them. Dispose of nests with eggs to prevent the next generation from coming back(check the legalities of tampering with eggs&nests). Call your local game warden for ideas & whatnot. There are many areas having goose problems & they have probably dealt with this before. Re-locating won't work.

Remove the adults & the numbers will decrease, how to do that legally is a good question, if I'm not mistaken Canadian Geese are protected. It may take a few years to see results. My other suggestions are probably illegal & not my first choice.
    Brendasue

• seramas
    15 years ago

We have 2 lake front cottages here in Michigan and have had that problem. Placing a clothes line rope about 6-12" (play with the height for optimum effect) above the ground along the lake front will keep them off your lawn. They don't cross it due to the fact that they need a running start to fly if startled. Have used this method for 25 years rarely a goose in the yard. Be sure to run the rope along the side of the yard if there is no fence.

• earthygoat
    15 years ago

Canada goose and snow goose populations have risen dramatically in the past couple of decades because of humans. Geese are thriving because of two things: leftover grain from harvested fields and huge areas of short cut grass (lawns). Geese love lawns!

If you want geese off a lawn consider planting native shrubs in the area and decreasing the open grass areas. If that is not an option, consider planting a buffer zone (at least 5 feet thick) of native shrubs along the shoreline. That will not only create a barrier that may deter the geese from crossing, but also create valuable habitat for a multitude of species and absorb a lot of nasty runoff from the lawn. It will also prevent shoreline erosion.