Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!!!! somthing is coming out of my chicken!!!!!

Posted by dan_grow (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 7:24

my Austsralorp (thats what i think she is) has this white tub that hooks at the end hanging out of her booty last night and i don't know what to do or even what the @#$% it is!!! i separated her from the rest of the flock to keep the others from pecking it. she wasn't moving much, she was eating and drinking, and i found her standing over the eggs (before and after that thing). This morning she was siting next to a small pool of pink liquid she seems much better but i'm still keeping her separated from the flock. I'M FREAKING OUT!! any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!!!! somthing is coming out of my chicken!!!!!

Sounds like a prolapse. If you do a search on "chicken prolapse" you will find lots of information. Good luck with her.

--Johanna

o

It does sound like it could be prolapse--that's where a bit of her oviduct gets pushed out from her straining too hard to lay an egg. It's not uncommon, but it is gross and a bit shocking to find her insides suddenly on the outside. You did the right thing separating her since the other chickens might have pecked at it and made it worse.

You can help her out by getting a tube of Preparation H and applying a bit to your finger, and using the lubed finger to GENTLY push the tissue back up inside her. You may have to do it a couple of times the first time, and may have to repeat it a couple of times throughout the day. The Prep H will soothe the tissue and shrink the swelling. She should be OK, but wait until it's returned to normal before returning her to the flock. Watch her to see how she lays her next egg and check to make sure it hasn't reoccurred. She should be OK, but keep an eye on her in the future.

Velvet ~:>

o

thanks every one for the advice but she died we found shards of broken egg inside her body then she just died but now ill keep a closer eye on the rest of my chickens for this...

o

I've never had one prolapse, thank Goodness in all the years I've had chickens. I have had one or two whom I suspect have gone egg-bound. I found one dead with yolk oozing from her vent. Sorry about your hen.

o

Oh, I'm sorry about your hen, too. Lori

o

thanks for the support. i'm getting some new chickens this weekend because i will not give-up!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here