Return to the Farm Life Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mother goat laying on kids!

Posted by petra_goats CA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 10, 10 at 7:36

Our boer goat had three kids on Saturday. This is her second litter, but it's the first one with us. I saw her lay on one of the kids hours after they were born, and I just pulled it out from under her. The next day, one of the kids was dead, all flattened out, so I think she laid on it and killed it. It had been the most lively and strong of the three. The other two have survived the last couple of days, but I'm worried that I should take them away from her or risk losing them too! What should I do???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mother goat laying on kids!

Have the kids been nursing from her regularly? When they were born did she bond with them (lick them clean and pay attention to them?). Boer's are usually good moms, but I would pay close attention to make sure they are getting fed enough. You may have to take them away and bottle feed them if she isn't feeding them.

Bonnie

o

This could be why she was sold.

Has she gotten any better? If she were mine, being a 2nd freshener she should know not to step on her kids. She should know to move gingerly, and when one squacks to get off of it!

Since she doesn't I'd pull the kids & send mom to slaughter. This is just me.

Brendasue

o

Perhaps the third kid was weaker and not nursing. Since goats only have 2 teats, sometimes one gets left out. Are they in a confined space or in the open? If they are confined, you could build a creep like they do for sheep. That way, the kids (or lambs) have a protected area where they can avoid getting crushed or smothered by an inconsiderate or weakened dam.

Don

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Farm Life Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here