Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acer_gw

Ducks vs yellow jackets...

acer
15 years ago

I ordered our ducks from Holderread Waterfowl Farm yesterday - 7 Welsh Harlequin and 3 Cayuga. The kids are so excited, and we hope to have lots of eggs. I also hope to sell some eggs, and I'll have questions about that, too.

Our yard is about 1.5 acres fully fenced with a creek. Both sides of the creek are in the fence, and it's a great setup for ducks. The problem is that yellowjacket wasps have been taking over the place. In the summer I can't walk anywhere without them buzzing in my face or me stepping over a nest. I get stung mowing the grass and have

gotten pretty paranoid about it. I couldn't even let the kids play outside last August - four underground nests were built just steps from our door on the creek bank. I've tried bug traps baited with everything from rotten fish to grape jelly. Nothing helped and I've been reluctant to use poisons beside the creek, but I'll admit that desperation has led me to more drastic measures. My kids, my husband, and myself have been stung just for standing in the yard admiring the creek.

Anyway, how will the ducks and yellow jackets interact? I sure hope they don't get stung. The best-case scenario would be that the birds eat the bugs, but perhaps that's too good to wish for - kinda' like swallowing a flaming thumbtack...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shannon

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions