Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmitoagain

Chickens...mouse...giant eggs

msmitoagain
15 years ago

OMG - I had this horrible thought just now and was wondering about this.

Our hens gobbled up a mouse recently. It's on my blog today.

http://msredneck.blogspot.com/2009/02/mouse-watusi.html

Yesterday, we got 2 of the biggest eggs I ever seen. Are these giant eggs a result of mouse protein???

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/msmitoagain/chickens/DSC02603.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/msmitoagain/chickens/DSC02611.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

Comments (14)

• msmitoagain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

trying to put the pictures in again

{{gwi:35827}}

{{gwi:35829}}

• seramas
    15 years ago

Yes, but not the mouse they ate yesterday. They probably eat mice all the time. The increased protein and plenty of clean water is what makes big eggs.

I have old pots of plants that are in the greenhouse with the chickens. Every 2-3 days they get heavily watered and the mice come flying out only to be greeted by 12 Phoenix, 4 pheasants and 2 Seramas. They rarely miss any.

The Pheasants will go after the wood rats that the neighbor has living in his 24'x 24' wood shed. Every once in a while one will wander up the drain tube into the greenhouse and we find a partly eaten carcass laying around occasionally.

• msmitoagain
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Seramas -

I told my co-worker today, if it was the mouse (and the worms my husband has been pitching them) at least they were natural ingredients.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

• velvet_sparrow
    15 years ago

For extra fun with your co-workers, calmly and offhandedly tell them that one of the eggs must have a mouse inside, that's why it's so big.

Then watch their reactions, especially if you've been sharing eggs with them, as they wonder which egg in their fridge has a mouse inside.

*L*

Hey, all is fair food-wise in chickenland. Watch the hens for any signs of illness, since mice can carry all kinds of nastiness. But otherwise, it's free protein!

Also, if your hens have been on a winter break and are just starting to really lay again, the first few eggs can be smallish, then get bigger as they really get into gear. Mine are doing it, too.

Velvet ~:>

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

velvet that is HILARIOUS.

• oldpea
    15 years ago

Is it just me or is the thought of eating eggs from chickens that eat mice too gross for words, or what?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

LOL don't tell me you think you gonna open an egg and find a mouse.

• oldpea
    15 years ago

May as well be. Yucky!

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

LOL! Velvet, that's funny! My coworkers are squemish about the eggs now, I could never tell them that and sell them any more eggs! lol!

• gardengalrn
    15 years ago

Several of my coworkers are also very squeamish about fresh eggs if they put too much thought into it. Working nights, we tend to have discussions that possibly wouldn't occur during the day, LOL. Comments like: "The rooster does WHAT to the hens??!" If I told them the chickens ate an occasional mouse I'm afraid they would swoon. Unfortunately I had told one gal that hens, like humans, are born with a certain number of eggs for their lifetime. For some reason this got her all grossed out! Lori

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

Hell I was squeemish about eating my chicken eggs at first too. When we first started getting eggs I told my fiance to eat the eggs. I wanted to see if he would get sick. Nothing happened. Then we started making scrambled eggs with half fresh half store eggs. FINALLY I got to the point where I wolf them down. LOL

oldpea I was being facetious but really I think that if I saw my chicken eating a mouse it might gross me out too although come to think of it that was on my list of "pros" to raising chickens. Catching and eating chickens and snakes.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

Catching and eating chickens and snakes. Freudian slip?

• msjay2u
    15 years ago

mice and snakes

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

They eat snakes too, eh? I hope they don't eat a lot of my garder snakes. I like them. They eat mice and bugs in the garden, too and I have a lot of big ones that like the straw mulch in the veggie garden.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm